NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
jackkirk

NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:04 am

I have just installed the latest firmware (wispswitch-1.5.11.bin) on a WS-8-150-DC.

I can now access it by current browsers but I get the following messages:

------------------------------

Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards). Learn more
NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALIDTo get Chrome’s highest level of security, turn on enhanced protectionBack to safetyHide advanced
This server could not prove that it is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; its security certificate is not trusted by your computer's operating system. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.
Proceed to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (unsafe)

-----------------------------------

I've tried following various recipes supplied by google but get lost in the gibberish.

There doesn't seem to be anything useful in these forums.

Can anyone supply any simple pointers?

I'm using Chrome 98.0.4758.102 which is supposedly the latest and greatest.

Thanks...

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:15 am

Obviously the SSL certificate is invalid and can not be verified because you would have to purchase a valid SSL certificate for each of your switches IPs and they would all have to be on a routed or valid IP for the certificate to work.

Take any embedded device and enable HTTPS if it is not already enabled by default. When you go to it your browser will report that the certificate is invalid and can not be verified because it is a self generated certificate.

BUt I have to ask you, if you have no memory paying for a VALID SSL CERTIFICATE and registering IT WITH ONE OF THE CERTIFICATE sites that "sell" valid certificates then you probably do not have a valid certificate.

Here are some of the companies that sell VALID SSL CERTIFICATES
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=purchase+ssl+ ... ntp&ia=web

Here is how certificates work work
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+do+ssl+ce ... ntp&ia=web

But as I said take any other embedded device, make sure you enable HTTPS if it is not by default then go login to it, you may have to disable HTTP on that device and you will get the exact same error

Since certificates are registered to a specific IP or DNS resolution of a domain name and you have to pay for each certificate how could we provide you with a valid certificate? DOes not mean that the encryption is not working ut us simply not verifiable.

Since the main reason for VALID SSL certificates is to insure the user that the site they are on is VALID and VERIFIED before they put in important info such as CC number and the visitor of the site has no idea about the site it all makes sense.

You are going to an IP in your network most times not even a routable IP and web UI would never ask for financial info like CC numbers or banking passwords would you want to purchase and register a valid certificate for each device and put each device on a public IP and then not be able to move it?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to Hardware and software issues