v1.5.10 Bug Reports and Comments

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: v1.5.10 Bug Reports and Comments

Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:42 pm

OK I call Dave and we discussed it.

Yea the WS-8-150-DC is a bit of an odd ball model in that the address on the A2D. This was OK in v1.5.9 but we were already working on the code changes for the new current sensors Board Rev H and Stephen must have not pulled that from the repository thread he handed off to Eric to modify for TLS v1.2.

See the plan was to release v1.6.0 which would have dealt with the new current sensors which also use a 10 bit A2D which means the addresses all change yet again and the fact that the WS-8-150-DC is a bastard child this happened and in my rush to get this out I skipped the WS-8-150-DC knowing that really the only thing we were changing was the TLS module but the thread Eric had unfortuniatly had some remnants left in on the development towards Rev H boards that Stephen did not back out and put in a thread so when Eric compiled v1.5.10 there were some changes since v1.5.9 which was for Rev G for NCS support.

To make things even stupider on my part I had discussed this with Eric but it did not click in my mind that those changes were never tested to NOT interfere with an updated release v1.5.10 which should have only been for TLS.

For full disclosure here is the Skype Eric sent me with the v1.5.10 push and I even discussed with Eric but like a bone head assumed Stephen was positive that not of the changes would engage with Rev G and below boards as they should only kick in if it detects it is running on a Rev H board. - AGAIN MY BAD

9cf3d95 update openssl package to support TLS 1.2 for newer browsers
b0fe6bf add support for mt25ql512a flash chip
3701c24 set_mux function added to reduce read Current function size, added NCS i2c connection for rev H and above - New Current Sensor Job

The line in red above is what caused this problem.

Those alpha numeric numbers in front are for reference to our repository on push changes. The line above the red is to do with flash chip changes due to semiconductor shortages sp we have to substitute a more expensive flash that we use on the WS3 because we can not get the cheaper smaller flash chip used on the WS normally. We are doing so many things TRYING to just get parts to build stuff. A lot of times we need to substitute parts which cost more and or require board layout changes and most often require code changes which is why we are so far behind in updates like TLS. For example if we get units out with current sensors we have had to try several different more expensive different parts that often require other parts to be changed like A2D all of which require code changes. We have been going through months and months of hell.

I will work with Eric tomorrow and see if he can push out v1.5.11 to fix the WS-8-150-DC units. It "should" not cause any issues other than reported watts and voltages would be off but it could cause something bad to happen with the hibernate so don't use it [v1.5.10] with WS-8-150-DC
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

jpaine619

Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:49 pm

sirhc wrote:and did not even have to replace lighthttpd since we did not go to TLS v1.3 which really was no benefit for our application.

Well... TLS 1.2 was released in 2008 and TLS 1.3 in 2018. There's a full decade of additional time there..

TLS 1.2 will be retired long before 1.3. Why are you choosing the version that's 14 years old?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:05 pm

jpaine619 wrote:
sirhc wrote:and did not even have to replace lighthttpd since we did not go to TLS v1.3 which really was no benefit for our application.

Well... TLS 1.2 was released in 2008 and TLS 1.3 in 2018. There's a full decade of additional time there..

TLS 1.2 will be retired long before 1.3. Why are you choosing the version that's 14 years old?

I explained this in another thread yesterday:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7340&start=20#p36313

I doubt TLS v1.2 support will be dropped within the next 5 years probably 10 years when you look how long they supported TLS v1.0 and actually in most browsers you can go into the security settings and tell them to support TLS v1.0 which several users posted how to do it up in this thread and I was reading today where I think most if not all allow this security setting change but you have to manually do it.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

JockGraham

Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:52 am

When do you think you'll have the next version ready for the WS-8-150-DC switches

Regards Jock

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:07 am

JockGraham wrote:When do you think you'll have the next version ready for the WS-8-150-DC switches

Regards Jock

Eric is working on it, the problem is when Stephen started working on v1.6.0 for the new current sensors he did pushes to the master on the repository right after he completed v1.5.9 which simply for the NCS versions so so there is a lot of untested logic so Eric has to go back and either rip that out or complete the logic.

It is possible there could be a v1.5.11 as early as today or could be over the weekend or latest would early next week.

After that Eric needs to complete the firmware to support the new flash for WS series as we have thousands of NCS WS-12 and WS-26 boards sitting at our SMT shop in Toronto waiting on flash image.

After that there are some minor changes for WS3 which part of the problem people reported on WS3 was due to a corrupted config file that shipped with switches that I did not catch and after I went back and did labs I discovered this which for now is a simple fix we just unboxed the WS3 in warehouse and did a factory default to clear the corruption.

After that would be to finish WS series firmware to use new current sensors to allow us to build regular WS series switches with the new current sensors.

Of course the main problem with building any new switches is semiconductor shortages which are a real problem. We have 5 MILLION in POs for parts some POs over a year old and have not received all the parts.

Now if the CCP invades Taiwan after the olympics every electronic manufacturer is in trouble as that is where 60%+ of all semiconductors come from and 85% of all high end semiconductors come from like CPUs/newest memory and flash/newest SOCs and so on. Even if that conflict lasts 1 month and for the grace of God non of those FAB shops get damaged and the majority of the workers for those shops do not get killed just imagine what the back log or wait times will go to on semiconductors.

There are several new FAB shops under construction in the US right now but they will not come on line until late 2023. People like Intel, Broadcom, Atheros (old name), and so would be hesitant to move production to China on their newest cutting edge stuff for fear of theft of IP. So now you are looking at South Korea, Indonisia and handful of other shops around the world trying to pick up production which are already working 3 shifts running at 100% capacity trying to clear up back logs. - FUN TIMES

Digitexwireless

Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:23 pm

Upgraded a WS-250-DC from v1.4.7 to v1.5.10, no issues. Now to get after the other 25 on the network.

Thanks for getting us a fix.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tommy A.
Network Administrator
Digitex.com

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:57 pm

v1.5.11 is pushed and fixes WS-8-150-DC and WS-8-150-DC - NCS

Previous
Return to Hardware and software issues