unable to change management vlan

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
hopp

unable to change management vlan

Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:35 pm

I have a few dozen netonix that I am unable to change the management vlan on. DHCP or static. mac aging is reduced to 30 seconds. I've tried upgrading and downgrading nothing has worked.

If DHCP:
It pulls a correct lease and never answers traffic. It reverts after 300 seconds.

If static:
Via either IPV4 or IPV6 after I apply the change it times out 300 seconds later.

I posted in a thread where an experimental fw fix was mentioned. I would like to try that.

hopp

Re: unable to change management vlan

Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:23 pm

Anybody? I believe this is a bug that needs to be addressed.

hopp

Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:10 pm

Does netonix simply not provide any form of support when their firmware has errors?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:53 pm

There are no bugs in VLANs, they have been finished and tested for years.

Most common issue with people and VLANs is they do not understand the top VLAN in the only management VLAN and if your are using Tagged VLANs to access the switch you must have a T on the port the ingress packets to the switch are coming from.

Read this thread and the links in posts to get a better handle on them. There are many threads and post on our forums through the years on VLANs.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3559&p=23207&hilit=+management+vlan+top#p23207

Also until you verify your VLANs are working properly STATIC assign your switch IP not DHCP. Once you are sure everything is working then if you really want to switch to DHCP but I can never figure out why anyone would ever want to have core equipment on DHCP but to each their own so I can not judge anyone on that, the old Ford vs Chevy argument.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

hopp

Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:48 pm

I understand VLANs. I've run a successful WISP for 19 years now (ever since the days Lucent WaveLAN 900Mhz ISA cards). We cover 2,000mi^2 and deliver many TB a day.

Perhaps I'm mistaken but I believe the specific bug you have in your latest firmware is a lockout when changing the Management VLAN. The broadcast traffic for DHCP gets through and it receives and acks a DHCP lease but no TCP ever for the config change watchdog. If you hard code a static IP it's the same issue -- watchdog times out.

You can recreate this bug as follows:
Port one link un-tagged 192.168.0.0/24 VLAN2 192.168.1.0/24 appropriate DHCP server (I statically assign for core elements but this is par example).

1)Default config, enable DHCP apply and see it take a lease in 192.168.0.0/24
2) Change MGMT vlan to 2 tagged 'T' on port 1.
3) See it take a lease in 192.168.1.0/24 Wait 300 seconds until it times out. No ICMP no TCP.

I suspect you are lacking a /etc/init.d/firewall restart

Return to Hardware and software issues