WS-3 drops fiber module connection

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
wtm
Experienced Member

Re: WS-3 drops fiber module connection

Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:02 pm

The WS-3 equipment that doesn't work seems to be newer boards that are labled 11/24/2021 build (We have 3 of them- WS3-14-600-DC)

I have tried 2.0.6 and 2.0.7 firmware on them (doesn't seem to matter)

Equipment that we connected to it was Mikrotik, CCR-1036 routers, and CRS-309 switches
Firmware that was tried was the latest 6.49.2, and we tried 6.48.4 (which is what the CRS-309 has in it that works with the older WS-3 unit)

FIber modules that were tried are: (and drop after 30 seconds)
10 Gig
Source SPP-10E-LR-IDFR
FS SFP-10GLR-31
Mikrotik S+31DLC10D
Mikrotik S+DA0001 (DAC cable)

We tried the following 1 Gig Modules (and they worked as they should)
Mikrotik S-31DLC20D

The 3 switches that don't work were ordered directly off the Netonix website.

wtm
Experienced Member

Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:16 pm

I think it is really weird though that the 1 Gig will work, and that the 10 gig will not?

On top of that is that the 10 gig DOES actually work and connect (for 30 seconds). (Although in the boards that work, they also drop after the 30 seconds, it is just they then re-connect 10 seconds later and stay connected).

The question is why does it drop? Doesn't seem that the firmware is the direct cause of it, but that maybe a different component in the newer board is the cause?

if that is the case, it still might be that a change in firmware will resolve the issue, by getting it to re-connect again ?

Once the good boards have booted, and up and running, you can hotplug a 10 gig module in and it will automatically come up and connect. On the bad boards, if you do that you get no connection. But a 1 gig module will automatically come up and work.

wtm
Experienced Member

Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:28 pm

Update : Dec 14, 2021

OMG, you are NOT going to believe this one !

As I was working with the WS-3 switch to allow it to do 1 gig connections and bond the 2 SFP ports together, I stuck in a DAC cable to see if it would connect at 1 Gig.

Un fortunately it did not work, but I then re-selected the 10 gig tag on the port, applied it, and suddenly that port connected as a 10 gig port.

Stunned........I pulled the DAC cable out, and re-connected it back again. It came back up solid as a 10 Gig connection. Not believing that this would hold, I then re-booted the switch. It came up as 10 gig, dropped after 30 seconds, but re-connected as 10 gig 10 seconds after that.

So, to make the 10 gig work on the WS-3 switches, you first MUST select the 1 Gig selection on the GUI, apply it, then re-select the 10 GIG selection on the GUI and apply it. Then it will work correctly. I tried one of the other WS-3 switches we had that would not work, and after doing the above sequence, it works on 10 gig fine !

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Only thing I can figure is that 1 gig is the default setting, and after it does a boot, negotiates the 10 gig, drops off after 30 seconds, and then selects the "default" speed in memory? Once 10 gig is re-selected it becomes the "default" setting, and then after the 30 seconds, it "defaults" to the 10 gig setting.

Dave
Employee
Employee

Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:40 pm

sigh..software...arrrggg..anyways..really glad you figured out a work around...thanks.

wtm
Experienced Member

Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:33 pm

YUP, you'll need to update the firmware to change that "Default" setting to AUTO or something else ? Surprising that it is defaulted to 1 gig, while if you go on the GUI, it shows 10 Gig as what is usually selected. And there is NO "Auto" listed as a selection there either. (All the other series switches have an "Auto" listed on the dropdown menu for Fiber module selection speeds)

mike99
Associate
Associate

Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:17 pm

wtm wrote:Is the Netonix a "Forced" 10 gig connection, as I only see a selection between 10 gig and 1 gig on the Gui ? THere is no selection for Auto there ?

10G auto doesn't exist on fiber standard (IEEE), only on copper standard. 1G fiber and copper use the same standard and that why auto exist on 1G fiber but it's not recommended to use it on fiber, even less if using BiDi or WDM.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:29 am

We are working on a new firmware for WS3

The error on saving a config change is due to a corrupted config file. The exact cause of the corrupted config that was on the units when shipped is under investigation.

Defaulting the switch and setting it back up fixes that error. Obviously do not export and import the config as it is corrupted so you have to default and set back up.

Defaulting the config does fix a few issues and seems to extend the system reboot. For instance the WS3 I am using and watching took 22 days to reboot after the default previously was rebooting more often.

But since we resolved the TLS issue and a couple other issues needed to resume production of WS - NCS versions as we still can not get current sensors due to semiconductor shortages and we do not have code done to accept the NEW style current sensors developers have gone back to working on the WS3 code. We hope to have a new version soon.

Things being addressed in the WS3 code:
- Stability as to why the unit does reboot for unknown reason
- Fixing the reported issue where the switch ibtains 2 DHCP addresses even when a static address is assigned.
- Fixing the SFP+ port issue but some people who reported on this issue could not have been using latest code as AUTO was removed prior to latest version and the need to change port speed save change port speed save to work properly might not have been an issues if using latest version of WS3 firmware where AUTO was removed abde defaulting it.

We will release a new firmware as soon as possible.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sdwisp

Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:29 pm

Has any one found a 10 Gig SFP that will work in a WISP DC switches ? If yes please list part # ...Please and Thank you.
Eric Williams
619-468-9600

SDWISP

Dave
Employee
Employee

Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:46 pm

as a note, new ws3 code was released this week...

Previous
Return to Hardware and software issues