WS-3 drops fiber module connection

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
wtm
Experienced Member

WS-3 drops fiber module connection

Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:33 pm

I have several WS-3 units now, 1 unit seems to connect to whatever fiber module I use, and works OK (so far)
(It originally did not, but once we re-loaded the firmware, it works OK) Firmware is 2.0.7
The others seem to go through the boot sequence, accept the negotiation of 10 gig, process data back and forth, and then after about 1 minute drop connections.

The unit that works, seems to go through the same boot sequence, but after it drops in 1 minute, it then comes back on at 10 gig and retains the connection.

This seems to me that it is a step in the boot sequence ?

I have tried re-installing the firmware, and re-booting the unit. I have tried taking off "Auto" negotiation on the Microtik unit feeding the Netonix and fixing to 10 Gig Full duplex. It does not seem to change anything.

The one that works, had to be sent back for the updated board change. The ones that don't work, seem to be newer ones we just purchased.

We have tried several different 10 gig fiber modules.

(during the 1 minute that the 10 gig module is connected, you can ping through the switch to anywhere on the network, so data seems to be going through it)

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: WS-3 drops fiber module connection

Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:06 pm

So at this time the only thing I can do for you is offer to swap the board for you.

If you RMA it and in the comments section when getting the RMA # state the issue and that Chris said he would swap the board.

We are very limited right now is software development as from all this supply chain issues and MASSIVE lead times to get semiconductors we are having to redesign our legacy models to use a newer more expensive Current Sensor that we can get before January 2023 (seriously).

Right now we are focusing on getting a firmware release what will allow us to sell legacy WS units without current sensors, same switch but does not report current per port. And then getting code for newer version current sensors on legacy WS line we hope to release before end of Q1 2022.

We also know there is something buggy in WS3 firmware that sometimes causes the UI to not respond unless you reboot it which you can do remotely via a very slow responding SSH. We hope to fix that between now and early January.

All I can tell you guys is semiconductor shortages will only get worse (and it is with longer and longer lead times) and with ever increasing inflation.

We are not going anywhere but getting and building switches is getting very hard.

If China invades Twain things will get really bad as they produce the majority of semiconductors in the world. If that happens God help us all.

If Russia invades Ukraine look for fuel/energy costs to go up another 50% or more which filters into logistics which means major increases on everything.

With our current administration I personally feel there is an 80% chance both of the above things happen within the next year.

LETS GO BRANDON
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:10 pm

By the way most items show out of stock on our store but we are sending 3 somewhat decent size shipments this week to our 3 largest US distributors: Streakwave, WAV, and ISP supplies.

So if you need something get it there while they last.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

wtm
Experienced Member

Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:56 pm

Chris, not sure it is a board issue, and I don't think a new unit will solve that problem.

As what I can see, it is an issue on the firmware boot process, it negotiates the Fiber module, which starts working, and then at almost exactly the same time it suddenly drops the module. Seems like a timeout of some sort?

We are doing more testing, and hope to have some more info for you.

Dave
Employee
Employee

Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:47 pm

wtm..good chance you are correct about a boot timing issue...but let us know if you find out anything further...thanks.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:27 am

I was going off the fact you said one or more works one or more does not.

It could be software but as I said I can not get to that until sometime in January.

Does the unit have a static or DHCP address? (if DHCP try static)

If you put in a 1G module does it connect to the MT router?

Does the unit connect to other devices at 10G other than the MT router?

wtm
Experienced Member

Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:44 am

Today I will be at the location that has the 2 units that work. I will be pulling those and bringing them back to our shop to check them out.

I also have 1 gig modules at that location, and I will bring a couple back with me to test.

On the 3 units that don't work, they are all recent purchases showing build dates of Nov 2021

Tried several different Manufacturer's 10 gig modules on them, plus a DAC jumper, and they all do the same thing. Drop the connection after 30 seconds (which is notated in the Netonix log)

We are testing these connected to Mikrotik routers and switches (Doesn't seem to matter which ones)

When I get back and this weekend, I will try testing a Netonix WS-3 to a Netonix WS-3 and see if the same thing happens ?

And all units are setup as Static IP's !

wtm
Experienced Member

Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:15 am

UPdate:

I tried 2 of the WS-3 unit together, and they work.

Boot goes through and drops the connections at the 30 second mark, but then it re-connects about 10 seconds after that, and stays connected.
Tried this using a DAC and FS fiber modules, and get the same result.

This is exactly how the sequence is for the other 2 units that we have that connect to the Mikrotik units. They drop at 30 seconds, but then after 10 seconds re-connect again.

I am going to be checking all the firmware versions, board versions, and software settings on everything.

One thing I did notice, is after the units are on line and running that I can hotplug the fiber modules in (the 2 ws-3 back to back test units) and they will immediately pick up the 10 gig connection. This is not the case if I connect them to one of the Mikrotik units.

I did try 2 Mikrotik units back to back and they have no problems getting the connections.

Is the Netonix a "Forced" 10 gig connection, as I only see a selection between 10 gig and 1 gig on the Gui ? THere is no selection for Auto there ?

I have tried a forced 10 gig on the Mikrotik units, but it doesn't seem to change anything on this problem.

wtm
Experienced Member

Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:07 pm

Update: 12/11/2021
Had a chance yesterday to check out the equipment that was working.

Board Rev. D Firmware 2.0.6 PS firmware 58 PS Rev A Build 1/6/2021 PS S/n 164922-0635 Motherboard S/n 16234-0083 (Per shipping box)

This was a unit that was sent back to the factory for an update on the Motherboard.

THe Mikrotik unit it connects to is a CRS-309 switch firmware is 6.48.4

THis is not the latest firmware that we were using with the newer switches that don't work.

So I rolled back the firmwares on all our test units hoping that it solved the problem.

Netonix WS-3 to 2.0.6 Mikrotik to 6.48.4

UNfortunately it still does not work, still drops after 30 seconds.

I did try the 1 Gig fiber modules, and those work as they should, no problems there. So it is just the 10 Gig mode that won't work ! :headb:

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:25 pm

OK please specify equipment used, I know you already mentioned switch above but relist please:

MT Router: Firmware version

MT Switch: Firmware version

SFP modules used.

Also cable you are using

Please provide a link to where you purchased.

We will order the equipment in and hopefully fix this in January after the holidays.

Next
Return to Hardware and software issues