unexpected switch reboot initiated by pressing reset button?

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
IntL-Daniel
Experienced Member

unexpected switch reboot initiated by pressing reset button?

Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:08 pm

Currently I am facing to the random unexpected warm reboot on one of my Netonix switch. It happen every a few days. Today I catch some interesting messages from syslog - see the attachement. Any idea what is going on there? The switch is alone, nobody there could press the reset button. It is WS-10-250-AC on fw 1.5.8
Attachments
netonix-reboot.jpg

Garnet

Re: unexpected switch reboot initiated by pressing reset but

Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:21 pm

Could be a faulty switch causing intermittent contact (e.g. shorting out).

IntL-Daniel
Experienced Member

Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:24 am

Could anyone from NETONIX give me some response to this issue please?

Since there is no other way how to contact support than this forum, then please some response? I did already factory default of the switch by 20s holding reset button (reformats the writable partition where the config is stored then recreates a new config with the default), but the issue still persist - every 1-3 day do an unexpected warm reboot and the syslog catch messages above just before the reboot. So it says "Reboot initiated by pressing the reset button" but to do that, I have to hold the reset button more that 5s. So should I 100% believe to that message (and think about bad reset button) or could it be some side effect of other issue only? Could it be caused by instable powersupply maybe?

Thanks for response and help.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:40 am

I would agree, something "seems" wrong/defective with the hardware.

Please RMA unit by going to http://rma.netonix.com
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

IntL-Daniel
Experienced Member

Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:56 pm

sirhc wrote:I would agree, something "seems" wrong/defective with the hardware.

Please RMA unit by going to http://rma.netonix.com

Thanks for reply. The switch is out of warranty so I do no think the RMA is the right solution for me or? The mainboard itself (WS-10-250-AC) cannot be purchased as spare part...so only powersupply I could change by myself? Will you be able diagnose and repair my mainboard if there is something wrong (in different way than replace)?

Thanks for reply and assistance.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:20 pm

I am sorry, but the last WS-10-250-AC switch we built was 6/30/2017 which is over 4 years ago so it is out of warranty.

That unit was EOL in 2017

One thing you can check is open the chassis and see if the reset button is touching the chassis. Sometimes the button is very close and if the chassis is ever dented or warps it can depress the button.

Possible solution loosen screws push board back and or trim the white button slightly.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

IntL-Daniel
Experienced Member

Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:20 am

sirhc wrote:I am sorry, but the last WS-10-250-AC switch we built was 6/30/2017 which is over 4 years ago so it is out of warranty.

One thing you can check is open the chassis and see if the reset button is touching the chassis. Sometimes the button is very close and if the chassis is ever dented or warps it can depress the button.

Possible solution loosen screws push board back and or trim the white button slightly.

Thanks for hints..I will try all of them. Could you please also give me reply to other thread here? Thanks

IntL-Daniel
Experienced Member

Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:06 am

sirhc wrote:I am sorry, but the last WS-10-250-AC switch we built was 6/30/2017 which is over 4 years ago so it is out of warranty.

So I am sending another experience with that case:
* there is probably no real issue with the button - I had teporarely remove the button from the board at all - no help, reboots continued with message "switch[1792]: Reboot initiated by pressing reset button" catched via SysLog
* I had try to downgrade the switch to lower version fw 1.4.8 and no reboots at least for 15 days ! (on 1.5.8 it reboots at least one time per 5 days)
* so upgraded back to fw 1.5.8 and reboots continues :-(

So is there something different on fw 1.4.8 (no other lower version tested) vs fw 1.5.8 which could bypass probably some hw failure with mainboard/powersupply of my switch? At least the v1.4.8 has no support for NEW fans and with my old one it uses lower rpm.

Thanks for your reaction Chris.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:42 am

Have no idea why v1.4.8 works on WS-10 and v1.5.8 does not. I do not even have a WS-10 anymore to test that.

If you need to replace fan in a WS-10 but can not upgrade past v1.4.8 if you have another switch such as a WS-12 or something with an older fan you could play musical fans and keep an old fan in the WS-10 and put the new fan in the doner unit and upgrade its firmware to support the newer fan?

IntL-Daniel
Experienced Member

Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:42 pm

So final state of this issue is that I can go up to fw 1.5.5 and mentioned WS-10-250-AC is rock stable without any random reboot for almost 2 weeks. While with 1.5.6 or 1.5.8 or 1.5.9RC1 "this one unit" randomly reboots every a few hours (~2 to 24h). I have no idea what this behaviour could be related. There must be different approach to some (bad) sensors probably?

Next
Return to Hardware and software issues