WS-26-400-AC Dead after backup load?

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
bhesterberg

WS-26-400-AC Dead after backup load?

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:36 am

Went to program a new switch. Updated to the latest, 1.5.8. After reboot, went in to load backup on switch. It took the backup and went through a reboot, new IP came up in the browser, but the login screen never came up. Fans are all off in the switch. Tried to unplug and plug back in, but nothing. No fans running or anything. PWR light comes on but that's it, no link lights either. Tried to do a reset but holding what I can only guess is the reset button on the front labeled "DEF". It's the only possible button I see on this thing that could be a reset button. Didn't work. Tried the power up option, holding down reset during the bootup and waiting about 10 minutes, but still nothing.
What can I do with this thing to bring it back to life?

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Re: WS-26-400-AC Dead after backup load?

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:21 am

It's possible that if you upgraded from a very old version, the config was no longer compatible:

see responses to this post for details

But honestly a hardware default should have fixed it. So if it's still not working after that, then there may have been some sort of error that occurred in transit that corrupted the image - which is rare, but it does happen sometimes.

But all is not lost, that's what this is for:
Recovery Tool

bhesterberg

Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:52 pm

Thank you Stephen for the quick reply. I ended up using another spare I had for the time being. I'd still like to get this fixed though. I'm not sure what kind of cable to use with the recovery tool. My laptop does not have a seral port. What kind of cable should I use? TIA

Edit: Yes, I did try and load a backup with an old SW version on it. Now when I try to boot up the switch, no fans run, nothing. Light comes on and that's it.

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:42 pm

Something like this should do it:
https://www.amazon.com/Serial-Adapter-P ... 1XQN&psc=1

Also just for FYI, the recovery tool is basically automating these steps for you, in case you want more information:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1073

bhesterberg

Wed May 05, 2021 4:24 pm

Stephen, thank you again for your information! I got the new cable in and am running the recovery tool now. It showed 100% completed at about 30 minutes so I removed the serial cable and rebooted it. The fans actually come on now, which they didn't before, but I can't get any connection to it via ethernet and no link lights show up. Do I need to RMA this? I'm not even 100% sure where I bought it. It's been sitting on the shelf as a spare and has never been deployed or even programmed.

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Wed May 05, 2021 11:35 pm

Well maybe we can try one more thing before you RMA it, or at least confirm some of the issue's we're seeing.

If you are able to run the serial recovery tool then you should be able to view the serial output via the console cable you have now.

Try running putty,

use these configurations (except find the COM port your switch is on, use Device Manager to do so)

PuttySwitchConfig.PNG

Connect everything up before the switch boots.

Then when it boots you should see lots of output on the screen.

It'll take a minute but eventually (if everything is working) you'll see output that looks like this:

Code: Select all
Netonix Switch#

When it gets there, try running the command:
Code: Select all
show status

If it doesn't return back immediately, give it a couple more minutes and try a few more times.

Let's see how far you get before you RMA.

Also, once you get it to boot with the PuTTY output working, try and capture everything and post it here for me so I can examine the results.

bhesterberg

Thu May 06, 2021 2:36 pm

I'm trying to post a picture here of what the recovery tool is doing. I don't think it's working after I took a second look.
I tried what you said without any luck. When I open the serial connection through putty, nothing comes up on the screen. I waited 10 minutes and tried it 3 times.
Since it isn't letting me post a pic(saying I have too many characters in the post), here is the last lines of the recovery tool and it says 100%...

Beginning Switch Recovery (time required approx: 50 minutes)
Connecting to switch on: COM4
Using Recovery File: C:/Gifford Wireless/Firmware Versions/Netonix/Recovery Tool/recovery.tar.gz
Using Firmware: C:/Gifford Wireless/Firmware Versions/Netonix/Recovery Tool/wispswitch-1.5.8.bin
loading recovery console
beginning base switch OS
moving to tmp folder
Begin xmodem receiver on switch
Begin transfer of recovery file,
location: C:/Gifford Wireless/Firmware Versions/Netonix/Recovery Tool/recovery.tar.gz...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Thu May 06, 2021 4:37 pm

Once the recovery tool has started it will interfere with normal operation of the switch.

Try shutting down the recovery tool. Opening a PuTTY session, then power down and power back up the switch with PuTTY open and the console cable attached. The PuTTY session will remain open through the power-cycle and you should see output on the screen.

If you still do not see any output on the screen, then you definitely need to RMA the switch - as it means it's not reaching the boot sector in the flash.

**QUICK NOTE ABOUT RMA**

If you do RMA, do it at:
rma.netonix.com/rma_create

and remember to SAVE the RMA number, you will need it and your mac address for the switch in order to view progress of the RMA.

bhesterberg

Thu May 06, 2021 6:02 pm

I was really hoping the recovery tool would do it... I tried again what you said. Putty open before boot, but no output. Fans come on and stay on, but nothing else. Thanks for your help! I'll start the RMA process.

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Thu May 06, 2021 8:07 pm

You're welcome, me too.

Can you do me a favor. PM me the MAC address and the RMA number. I want to watch what the factory tells us. Maybe I can improve the tool for this situation in the future depending on what they find. (Of course, if the flash is fried like I suspect than we really did all we could have - but I figure, eh it's worth a shot)

Return to Hardware and software issues