WS-12-250-AC rebooting like crazy

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
ewolff06

WS-12-250-AC rebooting like crazy

Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:08 pm

I have a WS-12-250-AC switch that had previously been taken out of service because it seemed to be randomly rebooting. We needed a bigger switch anyway so we swapped it out with a 24 port model.
I brought the switch home as I needed a POE switch to power a couple of phones. I factory reset the switch, upgraded it to 1.5.6 and set ports 1 and 2 for 48v.
With only two phones connected to the switch and one uplink cable the switch is rebooting very frequently. I am observing that when this happens the red POE lights on ports 1 and 2 are flickering on and off and the fans ramp up and down for a few seconds then the switch goes through a cold boot.
I saw there's some of these models that have a bad cap issue and a PSU issue not sure if this is affected by one of those or not. This switch is outside the warranty period.

MAC Address ec:13:b2:61:bd:a8
IP Address 192.168.1.20
Firmware Version 1.5.6
Board Rev F

ewolff06

Re: WS-12-250-AC rebooting like crazy

Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:47 pm

Looking for some feedback from Netonix on this as to whether or not this switch may have the bad cap or PSU issue. Contact us points to the forums and I can't open an RMA because the switch is more than a year old.

ComputerMan

Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:41 pm

I have this exact issue... it reboots every minute or so. I've tried upgrading the firmware, factory resetting, with or without a PoE load... now it doesn't stay up long enough to downgrade the firmware.

Any suggestions? When it reboots, the power light goes out if that is significant.

Could there be something inside that's loose? Power connector? It doesn't give me time to try and downgrade the firmware, nor can I get to the logs for any length of time before it reboots again...

Firmware is 1.5.11 (IIRC it was 1.5.6 before it was upgraded, but can't get it to stay up long enough to downgrade). It's in an office environment, so nothing extreme in terms of temperature.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:29 pm

ewolff06 wrote:Looking for some feedback from Netonix on this as to whether or not this switch may have the bad cap or PSU issue. Contact us points to the forums and I can't open an RMA because the switch is more than a year old.

MAC Address ec:13:b2:61:bd:a8

That unit was shipped to Streakwave on 12/14/2016 so we are dealing with a unit that is 4-5 years old. Not saying that a switch should only last 4-5 years but it was in service for a long time and could have been damaged or some part could be failing, it happens.

Now with that said the units that had defective CAPs on the switch board was the WS-6-MINI not the WS-12 models so that is not the issue.

We never had a ton of bad power supplies but there was a batch of 250W AC power supplies that also had bad/defective caps that caused reboots. Funny thing was that the reboots would occur if the power load was light so moving it to house and lowering the load would only make it worse. I would have to go back and review a lot of RMA records and could probably determine if your power supply was in the batch that exhibited that issue but there is a much easier way for you to determine if your power supply is the issue which I will discuss below.

Simply open the chassis and remove the power supply and swap it with another power supply or and this is best option simply set the units close to each other with the lids off and power the unit in question from the power supply you know works fine. The cables are short but you can make it reach.

If the unit does not reboot with the other power supply you have your answer. And You can purchase a replacement power supply from the web store.

Again the issue occurred when the total watts used was below a certain level sorry I don't remember the number it was 4-5 years ago, I think there is a post on here where I specify the average load we determined was the line. Stay above that line no issue, drop below that line the reboot would happen.

I think in that post back then I also gave other info to determine if your unit was a candidate to have that issue and we suggested you test the unit by simply turning it on and letting it run with no POE load and it would reboot with so many hours. At that time the power supply manufacturer would replace each unit we replaced but that period of time has long passed as their warranty to us is 1 year which is actually pretty decent as a lot of parts as either non existent or very short duration and you to return the parts to the distributor like Mouser or Digikey in original packaging whereas the power supply company simply only asked for a serial number and prof of disposal.

I think the models affected by this defective power supply issue was the WS-12-250-AC and WS-10-250-AC. Replacing the defective component is not really an option as even with our equipment here the man hours to take apart and remove and replace the part was well over an hour per unit with the right equipment and there were risks that you could damage the unit beyond reasonable repair.

So my guess is it is your power supply. I do not recommend swapping the power supplies as there is a risk sometimes that the pem nuts in the power supply will break free. If your replacing the power supply with a new power supply and the old power supply pem nut comes free you simply cut the screw and install the new power supply.

If ordering a new power supply remove the old unit first and if you have this issue simply state in the order comments section you had a screw issue and ask for 4 new screw and we will send with the power supply.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to Hardware and software issues