v1.5.8 Bug Reports and Comments

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
justinc@redfoxcorp.com.au

Re: v1.5.8 Bug Reports and Comments

Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:10 am

hi all, we have a number of WS-12-250 AC switches running 1.4.7 and 1.5.0 would it be a one step upgrade to 1.5.8?

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:52 pm

That's a pretty big jump. To be safe, I would recommend defaulting both, upgrading and then re-doing the configurations.
If you do that you should not have any trouble.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:33 pm

Stephen wrote:That's a pretty big jump. To be safe, I would recommend defaulting both, upgrading and then re-doing the configurations.
If you do that you should have any trouble.

hi there i'd like to that but the switches are 200kms away on a clients site ... are we able to step the firmware updates ?

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:19 pm

Theoretically, you could go one minor version at a time (so for example 1.4.9 to 1.5.0 to 1.5.1, etc).
The problem is I just can't guarantee it would work. Usually it would, but it depends on the configuration of the switch and the network the switch is being used in.

What I would suggest in this case:
Download the configs from the client switches and load them into a test WS-12-250-AC switch you control on your bench with each firmware version.
Upgrade to the latest to see if anything goes wrong.
If something does, you can recover the switch with this tool and try it again incrementally instead.
If it still fails both ways and you can't find a safe way to upgrade it on your bench. Then your last safe option to avoid severe downtime would be to perform the upgrade on bench switches, configure them for the client, and replace them manually. I don't think this will be necessary, but it is an option.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying it will definitely fail, I'm just saying that if you want to be cautious, this is how I would recommend going about that.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:22 pm

Stephen wrote:Theoretically, you could go one minor version at a time (so for example 1.4.9 to 1.5.0 to 1.5.1, etc).
The problem is I just can't guarantee it would work. Usually it would, but it depends on the configuration of the switch and the network the switch is being used in.

What I would suggest in this case:
Download the configs from the client switches and load them into a test WS-12-250-AC switch you control on your bench with each firmware version.
Upgrade to the latest to see if anything goes wrong.
If something does, you can recover the switch with this tool and try it again incrementally instead.
If it still fails both ways and you can't find a safe way to upgrade it on your bench. Then your last safe option to avoid severe downtime would be to perform the upgrade on bench switches, configure them for the client, and replace them manually. I don't think this will be necessary, but it is an option.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying it will definitely fail, I'm just saying that if you want to be cautious, this is how I would recommend going about that.

thanks for that update i've just downloaded the configurations and we try it on my desk to see how they go

Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:17 pm

justinc@redfoxcorp.com.au wrote:
Stephen wrote:Theoretically, you could go one minor version at a time (so for example 1.4.9 to 1.5.0 to 1.5.1, etc).

is there a way of downloaded there older 1.4.7 and 1.5.0 firmware files for my testing ?

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:24 pm

danp

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:28 am

Stephen wrote:Hello makara,

Access the terminal for the switch via the web console, ssh, or serial console and run the following commands:

Code: Select all
cmd
rm /tmp/new_temp_sensor

Then attempt the upgrade again.
Let us know how that goes.

This didn't work for me I get no such file found

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:36 am

danp,

Those instructions should really be followed on a case by case basis.
For what reason are you trying to run those commands?

ptera

Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:09 pm

Experienced two issues lately with RSTP.

WS-6-MINI Version 1.5.8 State starting flapping between forwarding and Discarding.

"He disabled spanning tree on his port facing us. It was yet another weird netonix issue."

Same thing happened on WS-8-150-AC yesterday but that one is running Version 1.5.6. This had a Cambium CBRS 450m AP plugged into it. Had to disable STP on the port for it to stop.

I know it is not much to go on - just want to make it aware.

PreviousNext
Return to Hardware and software issues