v1.3.0rcX BETA bug reports and comments - CLOSED

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
yoder

Re: v1.3.0rc6 BETA bug reports and comments

Fri May 29, 2015 8:23 am

My experience in the last few days has been that the "device configuration has changed" comes from the POE Smart feature. If you configure a port with POE but there is no cable plugged in, eventually the POE Smart feature will deactivate POE for that port -- thus causing a configuration change. You need to reload the page in your browser to get the new configuration before making any more changes.

I installed our second mini yesterday. It has an AF5 and 4 other Ubnt radios. At one point one of the RJ45s popped out and we didn't notice. The POE Smart then disabled POE for that port and I had to manually turn it on again. I believe this is the behavior Chris is hoping for. Otherwise we would have simply plugged the cable back in again with the power on.

I'm going to have to disable POE Smart on the AF5 port since it's our backhaul. If that gets turned off somehow, we can't access the switch to turn it on again.

Keith

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri May 29, 2015 8:38 am

That could be the cause of the config change on his bench however disabling the feature makes no sense because if the cable on a 48VH port pops out for whatever reason and you lose your back haul then you are rolling a truck now and you are plugging in a "LIVE" 48VH port which is the whole idea of the feature otherwise we might as well make a POE Smart check box that does nothing.

My guess is people are just going to turn this feature off and continue their BAD practice of plugging in LIVE POE devices.

Cables should not just fall out if installed properly and if they do then it is possible the end is bad or the installer is not paying attention which is why this feature is being considered.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

yoder

Fri May 29, 2015 5:46 pm

Agreed that the cables will not just "pop out" on their own -- and that if they do it will require a truck roll no matter what. In this case the installer was "arranging" the cables before leaving the location and didn't notice what he had done before leaving.

Here's what I'm worried about... The person who will likely go to this location to "fix" the cabling might not have access to the switch configuration. I can't get to it remotely, so how can I turn the power back on? I don't know if it would be possible to check for a cable every so often (1 minute, 5 minutes, whatever) for a port that had its power disabled by POE Smart. Whenever it finds a cable again (and after it checks the cable) it would activate the power back to its previous state.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri May 29, 2015 7:06 pm

It can and we originally had it doing this but there were limitations that drew us away from that. We have reached out to Vitesse for a change request in the way the routine works in the core and are still waiting.

But to ask about your scenario above;
You send people to a tower without a laptop or the ability to log into the switch?

I also find it funny that soo many people have yet to purchase a serial cable to access the console on the switch models that have that feature. Soooo many people complained to UBNT for not having a console port yet they do not get one?

Now granted the WS-6-MINI does not have a console port but all the other models do.

I have actually considered removing it from future models as it would lower the MSRP by about $10 if we took it out.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

yoder

Fri May 29, 2015 7:24 pm

In this particular case, this switch is in a town about an hour away. We have a guy in this town who installs and has a key to our tower shed for emergencies but I generally don't want him logging into our network equipment -- though we could talk him through it on the phone if we had to.

I like the idea of POE Smart and it already prevented us once in a situation where I'm absolutely sure we would have plugged a cable into a live port. I will turn it back on for the AF5 port.

If you can eventually add the ability to turn power back on, that would make it perfect, IMHO.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:52 pm

sirhc wrote:You send people to a tower without a laptop or the ability to log into the switch?
I have actually considered removing it from future models as it would lower the MSRP by about $10 if we took it out.

Switch are not always at the bottom of the tower or where laptop can easily be use but that don't mean serial is useless. Configuration for management is easier via serial since you don't lost access and we can also fix error without resetting the device. Toughswitch have a mangement LAN to replace serial access. Edgeswitch without any alternative access was a huge mistake. Some product like airfiber are awsome but most of the new product have several flaw that make them a exemple of what not to do. I remember a configuration error on a SAF that was fix via CLI. We bring down the radio from the tower to fix it, serial access was still really usefull even if we didn't configure it in the tower.
Management LAN with discovery to find IP address would be a alternative but nothing to fix a error ??? :pissed:

Anyway, to get back on the PoE smarth subject, and like we already said, a cron job every 5 minutes to check if active PoE ports now have something plug-in would be acceptable work around for us until that vitesse make change to the API (if the ever do it).

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:58 pm

We have the solution we really want to off, we are just waiting to see if Vitesse will make the needed change in their code.

quantumx

Re: v1.3.0rcX BETA bug reports and comments

Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:53 pm

May I humbly recommend that POE Smart is not enabled by default on firmware updates, but enabled in the default configuration of new switches?

We just updated a site that has been running flawlessly for several months, only to have this feature disable power to an AF24 feeding the site. I agree that this is an excellent feature protecting both the switch and equipment, but a firmware update seems like a harsh time to enable it. We've been getting used to flashing these things remotely with minimal down-time.

Switch:

Model WS-24-400A
Firmware 1.3.0rc7
Board Rev B

There is a possibility of a cabling issue, but it was qualified when installed.....

Cheers

adairw
Associate
Associate

Re: Download Latest BETA Firmware

Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:21 am

Just loaded rc7 on my ws8 at home. gonna let it cook

JimBouse

Re: v1.3.0rcX BETA bug reports and comments

Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:59 pm

Q-In-Q.... Chris, do you have some examples of how this may be configured via the GUI?

EDIT: I got it working:
capture.PNG
QinQ
capture.PNG (40.07 KiB) Viewed 4440 times

Thanks,
Jim

PreviousNext
Return to Hardware and software issues