Switches Not Passing Packets

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
signa

Re: VLAN's Not Passing Packets

Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:17 am

Stephen wrote:There are no reports of anyone experiencing further issue after upgrading to any firmware version.

I've updated the name, if you have one in mind that would draw attention to this topic better for people who may have experienced this problem, feel free to comment your suggestion.

That's more like it, thank you.

I've had reports from other users that their switches have been behaving with 1.5.5 and 1.5.6.

mespinos

Re: Switches Not Passing Packets

Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:55 am

Can any of you confirm if upgrading to 1.5.6 I will fix the problem?. I think it is not clear exposed. And, Can I upgrade keeping my config (with no reset to factory defaults)?.
Thanks for the info.

RoggenBroadBan

Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:45 pm

WS-12-250-DC rev F. Picked it up about 2 weeks ago.

No mixing of VLANs seemed to work.

Switch was accessible from every port, but as stated wouldn't act like a switch. Seemed to not populate the MAC Table correctly.

Defaulting the config on a switch did not solve the problem.

We tried upgrading the firmware directly to 1.5.5, missed the 1.5.3 step. That didn't help.

Didn't try port isolation.

Upgrading to 1.5.6 fixed the issue

VMSystems

Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:22 pm

We recently configured a WS-6-MINI that came preloaded with version 1.5.5 for one of our towers which we upgraded to version 1.5.6 before deploying. The switch powered up normally on-site but when we enabled POE 48V on port 3 and port 6 to power on the access points, there was no link on either of them but we did see the port was powered on. Both access point are working properly using a POE injector before installing the switch
We downgraded back to version 1.5.5 and got the same issue. We used a 48V 3 A power supply for the switch
We brought the switch and power supply back to the office, we recreated the same setup and powered on another AP (Same as the ones on-site) and it worked with no issues

jpmoller

Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:10 pm

We received a WS-8-150-DC in a shipment for October which ran 1.5.5 straight out of the box. Did not perform upgrade as usual, given it was on the latest.

Initial configuration was changing management vlan to 100 and adding various other vlans (trunked and untagged), dhcp etc.

When installed in the field, we could reach the switch, but no device connected to it. The switch itself could see every device connected to it, but would never forward to the uplink router. We swapped the switch out with another switch that also shipped with 1.5.5 with the exact same config (done manually, not restored) and that one worked fine.

When I received the faulty unit back, I downloaded the config from the switch and restored onto another switch that alsoshipped with 1.5.5 and worked fine, so didn't appear to be a config issue. We have already RMA'd the switch before seeing this post, so didn't test the downgrading our upgrading onto the same version.

FuzzyDice

Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:48 pm

We've had this problem on 3 different Netonix switches - the mini, 8 port DC, and 12 port DC. All of them are older than 1.5.5, some dating back to 1.4.7, and all of them began exhibiting this behavior several months after upgrading them from 1.5.2 to 1.5.5 late last year.

After several months of operation on 1.5.5 with no problems, these switches had some ports that simply locked up and stopped passing traffic while other ports continued functioning just fine. The POE on the affected ports continued powering the attached radios, but there was simply no traffic moving through the affected port(s). This also happened on one of the SFP ports on the 12 port DC the same way. A hard power cycling of the switches had no effect - they powered back up in the same crippled state.

After bringing all 3 switches back to the lab and downgrading the firmware to 1.5.2 they all began working normally again - like nothing had happened. All 3 of the switches were put back into service with 1.5.2 and have been functioning for many months now without any further issue.

We use VLANs and port isolation on all of our switches, but none of those configuration settings were common among the ports that stopped working. The only common factor we could identify was the 1.5.5 firmware.

EDIT - I just rememberd we also had this issue happen on a 4th switch - the 12 port AC switch. Only on this switch it was a single port, and that port kept dropping from gig/full to 100/Full. Running a cable diagnostic on that port returned no errors and the port would then revert to gig/full for about 10-20 seconds before again dropping to 100/full. After downgrading that switch from 1.5.5 to 1.5.2 the port went to gig/full and has stayed steady there for months now.

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:08 pm

FuzzyDice, whatever is going on is a different situation than what was occurring in this thread. Several switches shipped preloaded with 1.5.5 and because of an error that occurred with our serialization tool they could not switch packet's on startup. It's been determined that just updating the switch itself fixed the problem.

Although, I would be curious to see if updating your switch's to 1.5.6 would repair the issue's your seeing as well. It's a different scenario, but updating may itself might be clearing some sort of corruption that could take place over time.

jifop

Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:22 am

Just to say I received some switches today with 1.5.5 none of which passed packets, upgraded to 1.5.6 and they are great.

cbwecomm

Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:11 pm

Just had one of these myself. Upgrading to 1.5.6 fixed the problem.
My issue appeared to be related to VLANs, although, I think the only traffic I was trying to pass through the switch was on VLANs. I dont think I ever had any other traffic on other ports, other than the initial connection to set up the switch from the default IP.

cswenson

Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:19 pm

Have a few WS-12-250 switches that came with 1.5.5. Seems like an upgrade to 1.5.6 fixes the issues.

PreviousNext
Return to Hardware and software issues