Switches failing to apply new VLANS

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
Stephen
Employee
Employee

Re: Switches failing to apply new VLANS

Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:13 pm

JustJoe wrote:So is it reasonable to downgrade the v1.5.5 to v1.5.4 and avoid this VLAN problem completely?

It could be, so far reports have just shown downgrading to 1.5.3 and back to 1.5.5 fixes it. This doesn't make much sense to me as to how that works yet. But I suspect the act of downgrading and re-upgrading is somehow affecting the status of the switchcore for VLANs.

It's worth trying on a switch to see if it helps. If you try it, please let me know what you're results are here.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:02 pm

Stephen wrote:
JustJoe wrote:So is it reasonable to downgrade the v1.5.5 to v1.5.4 and avoid this VLAN problem completely?

It could be, so far reports have just shown downgrading to 1.5.3 and back to 1.5.5 fixes it. This doesn't make much sense to me as to how that works yet. But I suspect the act of downgrading and re-upgrading is somehow affecting the status of the switchcore for VLANs.

It's worth trying on a switch to see if it helps. If you try it, please let me know what you're results are here.

Thank you for your dedication and the quick reply! :) After some review of v1.5.4 references, it looks like that was mainly a hardware support release, so it would logically be equivalent to v1.5.3 on this issue.

Also, we mostly went to those versions as general practice of staying current. We have done no VLAN updates on any of the v1.5.5 switches, so would not have seen the new issue.

As disruptive as large VLAN changes can be on production networks, our intent now will be to stabilize everything at v1.5.4 and begin the changes. I will let you know right away on the slim chance I see this VLAN problem. Then we'll let our network stabilize before testing v1.5.5 or possibly a fix version you might have by then.

bpnz

Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:44 pm

Any updates on this? I've tried the downgrade / upgrade tricks. 99% of the time it's not working.

I've got one switch I've got about 15 VLANs on. As an example if I change a VLAN number on there, and hit save/apply, the switch will say applying changes, then after 300 seconds it'll time out. I can't see any reason why?

I've tried it with fresh out of the box switches, I've tried it with switches that have only had their factory defaults applied. I'm getting totally sick of this, as if I grab any other brand switch I can apply the VLAN config in a few seconds... but with the Netonix I know any changes I make are going to take me an hour or two of down time and frustration while I get it to work. I've had two other people familiar with Netonix and networking look at this issue and both have seen the bug and said this is NOT normal. So I've confirmed it's not the way I'm doing things.

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:59 pm

hey bpnz, I can't do it today. But tomorrow I think I can send you a test firmware to try and speed this up if you wouldn't mind testing it?

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:09 pm

bpnz, I've PM'd you a test firmware to try to speed up the result's. Let me know if it helps.

bpnz

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:12 am

Thanks Stephen, have replied to you but keen to test it..

hopp

Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:29 pm

Could I get that test fw? Having trouble changing our management vlan. When I make changes I get a dhcp lease where I expect it but I can never reach or ping the switch until it reverts.

Edit to add:
This is over several dozen different netonix all running 1.5.8. Even setting the appropriate static address on IPV4 or 6 fails.

Previous
Return to Hardware and software issues