Switches failing to apply new VLANS

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
avious

Re: Switches failing to apply new VLANS

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:30 pm

I hope someone is still trying to fix this problem.

If I can help in any way, I am available.

I've got a WS-26-400-AC that is having this exact problem right now.

I have to put an IP address on the vlan I add for the switch to pass traffic on that vlan.

Update, I finally got this to work without adding an IP address by first adding only 1 vlan and leaving every port excluded on that vlan and saving the config.

Then after saving the config I went back in and set up the tagged and untagged ports I needed on that vlan and then saved again and after this save the switch passed traffic on the vlan without having to add an IP address on it.

I didn't say it before but the switch is running V1.5.5 from the factory.

Update-2:
Unfortunately, this method stops working as soon as I change the management vlan. As soon as I do that the previously added vlan that was working without an IP address stops passing traffic.
Even if I add an IP to the vlan that was working it still will not pass traffic after I change the management vlan ID.

It never starts passing traffic again even if I change the management vlan back to 1 and take IP address off the added vlan.

Update-3:
Leaving the switch in the unworking state with management vlan as 1 and the added vlan not passing traffic, I downgraded the switch to 1.5.3 and the added vlan started passing traffic.
So then I changed the management vlan to the number I needed and hit apply and the added vlan continued to pass traffic. Everything is working as it should at this point with 1.5.3.
So now with everything working correctly on 1.5.3 I upgrade the switch to 1.5.5 and after the reboot when 1.5.5 is added everything is still working correctly.
I still have my management vlan on what I need and the added vlan is still passing traffic.

So now with 1.5.5 still running correctly, I try to add the second vlan I need, so I add the vlan and description and leave all ports on exclude and hit apply.
It applies and the first added vlan is still passing traffic. Yay!

So now I try to tag and untag the ports I need in this second added vlan, I hit apply and the first added vlan is still passing traffic. Yay!

So now I test to see if the second added vlan is passing traffic, and it is. Yay!

I hope this info can help, I guess in the future when I need this type of config I'll add it while running 1.5.3 and then do and upgrade to 1.5.5 and test it.
Last edited by avious on Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:45 pm

I am still working on the problem. Thanks that information is helpful. I appreciate the offer as I'm testing if there's anything that might help I will private message you.

bpnz

Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:35 pm

I’m still having the same issue too and it makes it hard to apply new Vlans to the switches as theh time out (it can take 20 minutes or so to apply changes).. so happy to help diagnose in any way I can.

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:23 pm

Well one thing that would help. For that time period when the VLANs where being applied, can you post the logs?

bpnz

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:26 pm

Hi Stephen, check out my post from Feb 15th earlier in this thread. It was quicker to apply them then, but you can still see the delay.

bpnz

Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:27 am

Any luck with this guys? I had to add a new VLAN to my network tonight, and so far one of the switches has taken about 45 mins to do it, and hasn't finished yet (I disabled the timer.. it will do it, just takes a really long time)..

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:12 pm

How many VLANs already existed before you added the new one?

bpnz

Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:29 pm

Stephen wrote:How many VLANs already existed before you added the new one?

Hey Stephen, on the switch that took ages last night, had maybe 25 on it? I can send you a copy of the config file if you'd like.

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:30 pm

Yes if you wouldn't mind that would be great. Please make sure if there are any passwords they are disabled before you send it too me.

This is definitely the result of the fix for the SLAAC issue reported here:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5687&p=30839&hilit=SLAAC#p30839

and fixed in 1.5.5:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5816&p=31002&hilit=SLAAC#p31002

But I will try and see if there is a better fix to avoid this VLAN problem it has introduced.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:00 pm

Stephen wrote:Yes if you wouldn't mind that would be great. Please make sure if there are any passwords they are disabled before you send it too me.

This is definitely the result of the fix for the SLAAC issue reported here:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5687&p=30839&hilit=SLAAC#p30839

and fixed in 1.5.5:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5816&p=31002&hilit=SLAAC#p31002

But I will try and see if there is a better fix to avoid this VLAN problem it has introduced.

I do see that you are working hard on this VLAN issue. I have a question that is hard to research, because since about v1.5.2 this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=240&start=80#p28782
Stopped having the ongoing "release notes", so I don't know the general status of v1.5.4.
So we're in a situation where we have almost 20 switches, about half are v1.5.4 and the rest recently upgraded to v1.5.5. We need to do some major VLAN housecleaning and can't wait for the VLAN fix.
My question: So is it reasonable to downgrade the v1.5.5 to v1.5.4 and avoid this VLAN problem completely?

(Just a thought: It might be useful if the "Download firmware" thread had the VLAN problem listed under v1.5.5 known issues. :)

PreviousNext
Return to Hardware and software issues