Fan issues or not ?

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
Torolan

Fan issues or not ?

Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:45 am

WS-8-250-AC US pre release version brand new out of box upgraded to 1.13 firmware.

had it say 2 times now, fan 1 failing and send me a email about it.

Mar 25 10:50:47 switch[1252]: Fan 1 is failing

Mar 26 09:27:14 switch[1252]: Fan 1 is failing

Fan is working it runs for bit at 2400 rpm then every few minutes idles down to zero. I have only received this alert 2 times in 24 hours.

I have 2 other pre release switches running this firmware and have received no alerts from them, those switches are in the field, the one giving errors is on my desk awaiting deployment.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Fan issues or not ?

Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:29 pm

No the fan is not failing, we thought we had the fan detection routine fixed in this version.

Does it report fan RPM under the Device/Status Tab?

You say this is running v1.1.3 correct?

Did you ever install v1.2.0rcX on it? (if so please factory default it and set it back up do not import config)

Odd?

Please factory default it no matter what and re-set it back up and let me know if it still reports this error. It does not have a fan failure obviously so there may be a bug still in the fan detect routine.

Also do several cold boots (unplug power) and let me know if it still report a fan error please.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Torolan

Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:53 pm

Ok never installed 1.20RC,, it was on 1.0 rc 19 from factory i think by default and upgraded it to 1.13

Let me cold power it a couple times then will see if I get the errors again.

If still getting errors will factory default it and try again.

Will let you know.

The 2 in field were running the 1.0 rc19 as well and upgraded them to 1.13, so far no errors from them.

Torolan

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:54 am

ok so far after cold reboot the switch on the desktop has not given a fan error. The 2 in the field both gave a fan error last night. They never gave fan errors before firmware update to 1.13, but they were running the default firmware that they shipped with

Will let you know if get any more errors

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:52 am

Torolan wrote:Fan is working it runs for bit at 2400 rpm then every few minutes idles down to zero.
...the one giving errors is on my desk awaiting deployment.

Were you just seeing it go to 0 in the WebUI or were you hearing it stop as well?

Torolan

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:05 am

I can hear it stop as well goes to zero for bit then comes back up ever 30 seconds to minute or so

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:12 am

OK, so that was how I interpreted it but was not sure if the bug in the code only affects the reporting or actually stops the fan.

Torolan

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:15 am

Can verify the one on the desktop is physically stopping as well. The 2 in the field show they are going to zero as well. Would have to go on site to verify for sure on them as well.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:27 am

Torolan wrote:I can hear it stop as well goes to zero for bit then comes back up ever 30 seconds to minute or so

V1.1.3 does cycle the fans up and down as needed especially with the 8 port since it is a small board it resulted in the the fans stopping allowing the the board to warm up and the fans would start again and cool it down and they would stop.

I am releasing v1.1.4 here soon as a fix for those that installed v1.2.0rcX and we added a little sanity fan logic for the smaller switch to prevent cycling as often.

So now when the fans engage it requires the board temp to drop 5C before the start thresh before completely power off.

It is a small chassis and a relatively large fan so there will be cycling on for awhile then off for awhile, the option is to just leave them on low all the time?

Actually the manufacturer of the fans prefers cycling the fans instead of always on anyway.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:46 am

OK, sorry... I misunderstood it as just a false reporting issue. Thanks for clearing that up.

Next
Return to Hardware and software issues