Sending low voltage warning email causes WS-12-250-DC reboot

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
JayDee

Re: Sending low voltage warning email causes WS-12-250-DC re

Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:42 am

This never quite got solved in the firmware, but I thought I'd share the workaround I came up with.

Instead of setting my low voltage value in the "Warning Voltage" field, I leave that field set to a very low value that will never be seen operationally, and for warnings I instead pick an unused ethernet port to be my "monitor port", apply power, and set values for its "Power Down" and "Power Up" fields.

https://imgur.com/a/o4BdMKY

This has several advantages:
* The emails that get sent do not cause the switch to reboot. I have tested 23 voltage low/high cycles without encountering a reboot or other problem.
* An email also gets sent when the input voltage recovers to its normal level. This did not happen when using the previous method.
* Separate thresholds can be defined for low voltage vs normal voltage. This avoids sending a bunch of emails if the voltage is dancing on the edge of a threshold.

The disadvantage is that it requires an unused port to dedicate to this purpose.

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:54 am

Hello JayDee, thank you for posting a work around.
I was never able to replicate this bug. But after a lot of reading the best I can come up with right now is that it is an issue in the ssmtp package.
In the near future I will look into upgrading the package and see if it goes away after that.

cbl

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:31 am

Hey Stephen, Ever get around to updating ssmtp? We're still getting bit by this on our solar sites when warning email is being sent.

cbl

Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:51 pm

Stephen,

Any word on the updated SSMTP package?

Previous
Return to Hardware and software issues