Netonix Keeps Rebooting on 1.5.0

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Netonix Keeps Rebooting on 1.5.0

Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:09 pm

mhoppes wrote:We are using private IPs and access lists. A Kernel panic would only happen if someone is attempting to hijack code that is improperly written or not closing something (e.g. memory leak). Otherwise it should be handling it gracefully, shouldn't it?

Keep in mind we use Linux, and other add in services which we do not write such as what handles our SSH, HTTP, SNMP, and so on. So those packages we have little to do with their development other than if we find a hole we report it to them to fix. Pretty much same as all embedded devices on the market.

Also I will be the first to admit that we are not "perfect" and we make many mistakes but please inform we of some software package that you are aware of that is perfect and was never exposed to hackers or memory leaks, or other bugs?

MicroSoft = NO - many BILLION dollar company with countless programmers
Cisco = NO - many BILLION dollar company with countless programmers
UBNT = NO - Billion dollar company with many many programmers
Netgear = NO

The list goes on and on and on and on, hell recently medical devices like pacemakers have been hacked, power grids, voting system, banks, air ports, and recently many social media platforms. Again much bigger companies with many more programmers and BILLION dollar budgets and even they are not perfect.

Again I would suggest providing access to the device to our staff.

Maybe your statement was not meant to be a jab but I did read it that way.
Maybe we do have a hack-able vulnerability, who knows, but it happens but if it does we need to find it first.
Or maybe it is something specific to you network but still needs to be addressed and we simply can not replicate it, again who know but you are not seeing this on all your segments or all your switches, I think just this one segment?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

mhoppes
Associate
Associate

Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:46 pm

Chris,
The only jab (if there was one) was that an attack vector shouldn't cause a kernel crash. Be happy to provide access to your staff with the understanding this is a very core device - they can look but please don't touch without coordinating.

Would you have someone reach out to me via e-mail with where I can send credential information?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:06 pm

mhoppes wrote:Chris,
The only jab (if there was one) was that an attack vector shouldn't cause a kernel crash. Be happy to provide access to your staff with the understanding this is a very core device - they can look but please don't touch without coordinating.

Would you have someone reach out to me via e-mail with where I can send credential information?

Well I am sure Stephen is reading this and can reach out to you via PM and then email from there. I would also suggest you then speak on phone as he attempts to access it then you tell him what you see leading up to it.

Then he can login every so often and look at things
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:07 pm

mhoppes,

Typically, when gathering information this way. I usually do a TeamViewer session on a machine of your choice so I can access the switch. Then do a phone call to talk us through it as I take a closer look. Feel free to PM me so we can arrange a time that works for both of us.

lachlan.w

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:44 pm

Hi Stephen and Sirhc,

I'm also observing a similar issue with high memory usage before switch crash. We're seeing it across multiple devices running 1.4.9 or later so I don't believe it is a single device fault.

Would it be possible to get access to the new firmware that was mentioned to see if this improves the stability of our devices at all?

If this does not resolve the issue we would also be interested in potentially providing access to a problematic device for you to investigate further with us.

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:20 pm

lachlan.w,

I have sent you the test firmware, let us know if you experience any improvement with it.

lachlan.w

Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:58 pm

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the firmware,

I'll get this applied to some devices and let you know how we go :)

(Side note: Any known issues I should be looking out for before I put it on a live device?)

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:36 pm

This is a test version of 1.5.3rc2 so because of that any enhancement and issue's reported here will be relevant.
There doesn't seem to be anything affecting user's at a large scale right now.

lachlan.w

Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:26 pm

Hi Team,

Since deploying the test firmware we're seeing much more stable memory usage.

In the attached image:

SW1 has the new firmware.
SW2 is running the older 1.5.2.

Both devices pass the same amount of traffic and were rebooted at thew same time when the firmware was updated.

All in all, looks very promising, we're happy to provide any further info/logs if it is required.
Attachments
image.png

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:34 pm

Thank you lachlan.w, that is great news.

FYI 1.5.3 has the fix from the test firmware in it. If you would rather run your switches with an official release.

We're still trying to determine if the issue reported on this thread is a related bug or not. If you observe anything like what has been mentioned by mhoppes - please let us know here.

PreviousNext
Return to Hardware and software issues