WS-12-250A Issues

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
raptorman

WS-12-250A Issues

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:03 am

Took my new WS-12-250 out of the box, and I keep getting "attempting to reestablish communication with the device" upon first login (web ui). I was able to SSH to the device, but when i tried to check port status I get "Segmentation Fault" and than I can no longer enter any commands. I than tried to press the reset button with the unit on with no success. I than held the reset button upon boot up, and now i cant even log into the box. Will not accept the default us/ps. Anyone experience this type of behavior? Bad unit maybe? I tried to console in, but the standard 9600-8-1 settings didn't work for me. Thanks in advance.

#CLI error while trying to check port status
NETONIX# show interface statistics
Port TX Data TX Packets TX Errors RX Data RX Packets RX Errors
---- ------------ ------------ ------------ ------------ ------------ ------------
json_object_from_file: error reading file ../tmp/30sec.json: No such file or directory
Segmentation fault
NETONIX# ?
-ash: ?: not found

WisTech
Associate
Associate

Re: WS-12-250A Issues

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:36 am

Strange, use the following serial settings when connecting via console:

Baud - 115,200
Data Bits - 8
Parity - None
Stop Bits - 1

Dave
Employee
Employee

Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:35 am

Baud - 115,200
Data Bits - 8
Parity - None
Stop Bits - 1

These are our default serial port settings.

Did it (GUI) work ok after the reset cycle?

raptorman

Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:00 am

After the reboot/factory-default, UI prompts for login but the default admin/admin doesn't work. i'm guessing this is on older firmware where I need to console in and change pass? Ill go back today and see if I can make any progress. This device was acting funny straight out the box.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:05 am

If you hold the reset button in during power up for for 5 seconds up then release it the switch takes several minutes of house keeping because it has to re-format the FLASH jffs2 partition so you just need to let it set and do its thing for a few minutes.

A full explanation of the different reset options are listed here:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=409

If you are using Google Chrome and you are logged into Chrome on 2 different computers with the same Google account and you open the same switch UI from both computers they will fight each other because when logged into both computers with the same Google account they share the same HTTPS certificate information. This is an issue with many embedded devices using HTTPS with Chrome that is logged into 2 computers both accessing the same device.

Beyond this you need to be more specific as to what you are doing and what the symptoms are.

If you PM me your cell umber I will call you.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:06 am

raptorman wrote:After the reboot/factory-default, UI prompts for login but the default admin/admin doesn't work. i'm guessing this is on older firmware where I need to console in and change pass? Ill go back today and see if I can make any progress. This device was acting funny straight out the box.

That was an issue when UPGRADING to a firmware that is no longer available to download so I do not think that is the issue. Plus you just factory defaulted it you said so that would NOT be an issue either way.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:22 am

raptorman wrote:After the reboot/factory-default, UI prompts for login but the default admin/admin doesn't work. i'm guessing this is on older firmware where I need to console in and change pass? Ill go back today and see if I can make any progress. This device was acting funny straight out the box.

Not sure, your description of what your steps needs to be more specific and what your seeing.

As I said PM me your cell and I would be happy to assist you in a bit or describe your steps of what your doing.

But there is always bound to be bad units here and there, so far we have issued 1 RMA number but the switch has never showed up here yet, maybe the user figured it out and never sent it back?

raptorman

Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:39 am

Thanks Sirhc. On my original post, I pasted the error I was getting on the CLI when trying to check port status. After I received the "Segmentation Fault" i can no longer enter any commands and have to exit out of CLI and back in to be able to do anything. I will PM you my cell, and will let you know once im front of device so we can troubleshoot. Also, I am still unable to SSH/WEB into the device using the default admin/admin. This happened after i held reset button during bootup. Thx

NETONIX# show interface statistics
Port TX Data TX Packets TX Errors RX Data RX Packets RX Errors
---- ------------ ------------ ------------ ------------ ------------ ------------
json_object_from_file: error reading file ../tmp/30sec.json: No such file or directory
Segmentation fault

WisTech
Associate
Associate

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:55 pm

Sounds like you're possibly running an older firmware (what was it Chris, RC6 or before on 1.0.10 was it?) that hashes the default password and prevents admin/admin access. CLI and setting credentials for the user will allow you to log in.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:04 pm

WisTech wrote:Sounds like you're possibly running an older firmware (what was it Chris, RC6 or before on 1.0.10 was it?) that hashes the default password and prevents admin/admin access. CLI and setting credentials for the user will allow you to log in.

LOL - So many versions I forget, I would have to review the release notes.

Rory is trying to reach out to him now by phone and see if we can resolve the issue, but if it is a bad one we will work to replace the unit.

Next
Return to Hardware and software issues