airfiber 5X POWER

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
tfadgen

airfiber 5X POWER

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:00 pm

UBNT announcing their airfiber x line with 24V 1amp airfiber POE powered. How does this affect Netonix switches and compatibility?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: airfiber 5X POWER

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:14 pm

tfadgen wrote:UBNT announcing their airfiber x line with 24V 1amp airfiber POE powered. How does this affect Netonix switches and compatibility?

Well that depends on if it really needs 24V 1A and if it uses all 4 pair to get it's power.

Obviously if it did we would change our designs to offer 24VH and 48VH ports and or just offer both models.

Many people will only run airMAX and airMAX AC radios as they are much less expensive and if they back haul airFBER 24 we cover that already.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:14 pm

eejimm wrote:OK heres the skinny on the PoE:
full power draw at Max TX power, 50MHz channel at 5770MHz is 485ma at 24.0 V. No difference if using 2 pr or 4 pr power.
Pinout is the sme as every other AF radio, just 24V instead of 48-50. And one radio was powered by a ToughSwitch at 24V in this test.

Wistech wrote: At 20dBm TX, mine is showing 9.5W draw at the Netonix, at 24V obviously. Very low power as far as I'm concerned for a high-capacity backhaul that can be run on a solar site with ease.

So there you go, the AFX can be powered by a standard 24V port.

So the WISP Switch line can power the relevant KNOWN following devices:
airMAX 2/5 radios using a 24V port
airMAX Titanium using a 48V port
airFIBER 5/24 using a 48VH port
airFIBER X using a 24V port
UniFi using a 24V or 48V depending on which flavor of UniFi
airVISION cameras using a 24V or 48V depending on which flavor of camera

Mimosa radios using a 48V port and maybe a 48VH port but waiting on Mimosa engineers to comment
SAF 106 radios using a 48V port
SAF Lumina using their adapter using a 48VH port
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:19 pm

I wonder though if AF-X works reliably on 24V port with Ehternet spec limit 100M cable?

I know that making a port 4-pair "H" power version requires about double the PC board real estate per port. And I know that in the current design, the 48VH ports have that space for 24VH. But consider that someone using a couple of AF24s might want to have a couple of AF-Xs to act as backups for rainy days and would really like two separate ports to be 24VH. Just a thought.

Remember the battles of trying to convince them to ship 24V POEs instead of 15V POEs with their NSM5s because they wouldn't meet the "Ethernet" standard spec that they were claiming? Those folks still have a problem specifying Vmin, Vmax, Amin, and Amax.

I remember back when we posed the power specs question to ubnt-mike , he basically answered that if we could try it, and post the results in the forum, that would be great ????? It's like their engineers threw their designs out there without even knowing the specs it iwas supposed to meet.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:40 pm

I wonder if it would make sense to build something like the Ubiquiti Instant AF converter but rather than have it put out 18V, put out 24V and make it gig capable? That way you'd be pushing 48V the distance over 4 wires and making the conversion close to the AF5X.

One downside to those is that they are another point of failure and a failure would need a tower climb.

Oh, and in another thread someone suggested a reverse polarity solution for Canopy/Cambium. This could be done with an Instant AF style adapter as well. Maybe combine it with a surge protector.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:23 pm

Many of the AF5X BETA testers like Tony are already powering the AF5X with our switches using our standard 24V ports, the average power draw is 10 watts which is fine. And Jim said he powered an AF5X with a ToughSwitch pro.

However if you read the specs on our newer switches oming out this spring we made all the 48VH ports also support 24VH but for now the 24V standard ports are powering it just fine.

http://www.netonix.com/wisp-switch.html

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:59 pm

I guess what I was thinking of was the WS-8-250-AC & DC which only have ports 1 & 2 with 48VH right now. If you decided to add 25VH it would be nice if they were just ports 3 & 4. The PC board real-estate is there, but you would need some circuit trace jumpers to cross over from it to 3 & 4 instead of 1 & 2 which are right there. :wink: On the "8's" the 250W supply can handle them without even thinking about it.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:52 am

Our "existing" models are already proven to support the AF5X, 10 watts is within specs.

They also power AF5, and AF24
They have passive current sensors
They support LACP and Static LAGs
They support Port Isolation
They support SNMP
They have an easy intuitive UI and full CLI
They have extended operating temperatures
They have much larger buffers and support Flow Control with back pressure
We put in secondary IPs on VLANs
We put in VLAN trunking
We have bandwidth limiting per port
We put in Storm Control
We have DC versions coming out

Every time we support everything needed there seem to be just one more thing?

We will continue to innovate and produce better things but if we play this waiting until JUST ONE MORE FEATURE GAME there will be no future models!

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:34 am

Chris, I said

JustJoe wrote:.... If you decided to add 25VH it would be nice if they were just ports 3 & 4. ...

I didn't say I was asking for it now. The general discussion made it sound like your products were getting updated with it. Who knows what else ubnt will introduce, but if they have one set of POEs that are 25VH, then other products might appear pulling more power and then you might do it.

By saying it now, I was taking my time to make the suggestion before it might have gotten cast in stone.

So please don't start capitalizing on me. I have been a very solid supporter and don't deserve that. :tounge: :lol:

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:50 am

JustJoe wrote:Chris, I said

JustJoe wrote:.... If you decided to add 25VH it would be nice if they were just ports 3 & 4. ...

I didn't say I was asking for it now. The general discussion made it sound like your products were getting updated with it. Who knows what else ubnt will introduce, but if they have one set of POEs that are 25VH, then other products might appear pulling more power and then you might do it.

By saying it now, I was taking my time to make the suggestion before it might have gotten cast in stone.

So please don't start capitalizing on me. I have been a very solid supporter and don't deserve that. :tounge: :lol:

Sorry, just really bummed out this weekend, I buried my friend of 28 years and partner yesterday and I am a little short with people, sorry. Not an excuse just how I have been. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=454

Just ignore me for a couple days till I get un-depressed. :Cry2:

We have planned to put the 24VH option into all new models and have taken steps to do so but our current models will handle it. But I do get frustrated because every time I think we got something good people send me emails, PMs or posts wanting just one more feature then they will buy. Put that on top of my current depression and I become a dick, just ignore me for a few days.

Next
Return to Hardware and software issues