Request Feedback v1.1.0 - PLEASE

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Re: Request Feedback v1.1.0 - PLEASE

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:01 am

TZ is correct. Device > Status shows correct time.

Also notice fan speeds are higher with this build.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:44 am

lligetfa wrote:TZ is correct. Device > Status shows correct time.

Also notice fan speeds are higher with this build.

You are correct Dave the time is wrong in the logs.
time.jpg
time.jpg (69.55 KiB) Viewed 5204 times

We had to speed up the fans a little for the 8 and 12 port MINI units, maybe we can have two logics on fan control, one for the rack mounts and one for the MINI units.

We will wait and compile a list of bugs with v1.1.0 and release a v1.1.1 some time soon.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

mhoppes
Associate
Associate

Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:57 am

TO BE CLEAR - I am not suggested you should remove the safety... just that I have done that :)

Working on confirming 64 bit.....

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:50 am

sirhc wrote:We had to speed up the fans a little for the 8 and 12 port MINI units, maybe we can have two logics on fan control, one for the rack mounts and one for the MINI units...
Two separate profiles would be nice. Right after I flashed the switch, the wife started in with the "do you hear a train" thing again. I am this ' ' close to being in the doghouse.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:53 am

The fan RPM currently is like a couple versions ago which is still much quieter than an EdgeMAX switch but yes I will discuss with the engineer about dual fan profiles.

The problem is the 8 & 12 port mini switch boards get too hot because there is much less board surface to radiate the heat. The larger switches are not that sensitive so maybe I can talk the engineer into it?
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Eric Stern
Employee
Employee

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:19 pm

The timezone change was not being applied until the switch was rebooted. This will be fixed in 1.1.1.

mhoppes
Associate
Associate

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:02 pm

Out of curiosity, why do the switches run when it's -5F outside and the board is at 50F? Is this just to keep air moving over the surface of the board so hotspots don't build up? Though when I first start up the switches I have seen the fans shut off. Just curious.

RebusCom
Experienced Member

Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:55 pm

Not having a lot of experience with these switches yet, how is the fan speed controlled? My switches on the last RC release indicate 2500rpm, but an upgraded one to current indicates 8500rpm. If the hardware has temperature monitoring capability is it possible for the fan speed to be dynamically controlled to accommodate noise-sensitive environments?

I also agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense for a fan to be screaming along at 8500rpm when the ambient temp is 0C deg. Not only is it unnecessary noise and fan wear but it can speed up the accumulation of dust in the chassis which will inhibit cooling.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:31 pm

They do dynamically control the fans the engineer required the fan increase speeds for the new 8 and 12 port minis.

Les already brought this up so we are pestering the engineer with his easy bake oven testing at 50C to 55C to allow us to have 2 fan control profiles, 1 for the full size rack switches to slow them back down and 1 for the smaller mini switches because they need to be a faster rpm since there is less board surface area to dissipate the heat.

Look for a release soon to reduce the fans speeds again on the larger rack mount models.

Previous
Return to Hardware and software issues