WS-12-250-DC rebooting after Firmware Upgrade 1.5.0

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
info@rinkusoluciones.com

WS-12-250-DC rebooting after Firmware Upgrade 1.5.0

Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:54 pm

Hi Guys,

After upgrading a brand new WS-12-250DC unit, form 1.4.7 to 1.5.0, the unit powers on (green power on led on) , and after like 15 seconds the unit powers off. After another minute, the unit starts again by itself, and then goes off after 15 secs .

The unit was ok (Because I was able to access the WebUI to perform the upgrade) but after the upgrade was 100% finished (it stated that was waiting for reboot to access the interface), the behavior started to happen.

I have tried fully resetting the unit (pressing 40 secs after powering up) and waiting another 5 minutes but the issue is still the same.

Any help is appreciated!

Sergio

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: WS-12-250-DC rebooting after Firmware Upgrade 1.5.0

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:07 pm

This does not make sense.

Possibilities:
1) Defective unit - requires RMA

2) Damaged unit - requires RMA - no offense but I have to consider this, you have no idea how many people send back a unit they claim came DOA and we can pull their config and our internal chronometer shows many hours of operation yet they say it came DOA?

3) Corrupted upgrade somehow (not very common unless loses power durring upgrade) - possibly could fix with console recovery: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1073#p8073

4) Power issue - What are you powering it with?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

info@rinkusoluciones.com

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:16 pm

Thanks @sirhc

We are powering the unit with a 24VDC power supply, also have tried to power it with a 48VDC Power Supply and same behavior.

I think the console recovery might not work due the short time the unit stays ON.

On the RMA, I would like to consider this the last option due our location, but if needed we can send it back to the U.States in a couple of weeks. About the DOA as I stated, the unit was ok ( I powered it up and went directly to upgrade it, so the chronometer should not state more than 10 minutes of operation.).

Let me know if you think we can do anything on the unit or if you consider it should be sent direclty to RMA.

Thanks again for your fast response.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:33 pm

That depends on what is causing the unit to reboot. With the console you can STOP the firmware from fully loading and enter console mode.

Anyway, if you have a WS-12-250-AC unit you could open them both up. For that matter you can use an AC power supply from any of our switches for testing.

Set them side by side.

Unplug the DC power supply from the switch board, do not forget to also unplug the I2C cable.

Plug the AC power supply into the switchboard in the DC unit and see it is OK. It will work all except it will display errors on sensors as it is looking for IC2 communications from the DC power supply and it is not there. This will tell you the switch board is good.

Then power up the DC power supply by itself and with a voltmeter see if the DC power supply is rebooting (dropping power )
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

info@rinkusoluciones.com

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:38 pm

Ok, I will try tomorrow to access the console mode and let you know, unfortunately we only have DC units so the p.supply swap is not an option right now.

Ill keep you updated.

Thanks!

info@rinkusoluciones.com

Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:58 pm

@sirhc, I've connected my console cable (8N1 - 115200), and I dont see any message (I've havent used this cabel for a long time so maybe is a faulty one)

By the way, I was looking "inside" the unit through the top "holes" of the case, and I can see that a led is always on (It has a D2 mark and its almost on top of the O of NETONIX graved on the board), no matter if the POWER led is off. As soon as the POWER LED goes ON, the FAN goes ON at full speed and an extra led goes ON like 2 inches to the right. It stays on (the led-FAN-POWER) for at least 6 secs and then all of them go OFF but not the first LED.

I dont want to open the case to prevent avoiding the warranty, so let me know if you need me to open it or do something extra to check if this is unit can be "saved".

Thanks!

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:11 am

I don't care if you open it, we stopped putting on warranty labels months ago

Sadly I am sure you will need to RMA it.

info@rinkusoluciones.com

Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:26 pm

@sirhc, I´ve created a RMA email but haven´t received the approval to proceed, Is there anything else needed to proceed?

Thanks!

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:38 pm

info@rinkusoluciones.com wrote:@sirhc, I´ve created a RMA email but haven´t received the approval to proceed, Is there anything else needed to proceed?

Thanks!

No if you sent in an RMA email request it may take a day or 2 until I get it back to you.

Today I am not feeling well and dragging.

kdsnetworks

Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:39 pm

@sirhc should we RMA our unit as well ?

I posted about this issue below as well.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3623&p=26514&hilit=rebooting#p26514

Please let me know what to do ... I have a few brand new spare units - but wonder if they will act the same too?

R

Next
Return to Hardware and software issues