PPPoE and Live Switching

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
billbuchan

PPPoE and Live Switching

Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:40 am

Hi,

Just thought I'd post my experience as it caused a 'pucker' moment. I was in the process of moving from ToughSwitches to a Netonix Wisp 250B switch - I'd enabled all the PoE ports I needed and was merrily pulling plugs and pushing plugs.

When I plugged in a ubiquiti powerbeam 500 AC, the switch lost all connections to all the PoE Devices. I tried switching the offending port off and on, replugging, rebooting - and finally a hard restart (power off and on) resumed service.

I'm guessing I temporarily shorted out the PoE bus, and have now got into the habit of switching PoE off whilst plugging into the switch, and then powering on once I know its in and stable. If it helps, I'm using the Ubiquiti shielded RJ45 plugs.

Hope this helps someone else *not* have that 'pucker' moment,

Cheers,

---* Bill

P.S. Loving the power consumption meter on the switch. Guess what the most power consumptive device I have? Not Nanostation, Rocket (surprisingly), powerbeam 500, nanobeam 400.. No, an old Nanobridge M5 400mm dish.. 6.8-7.7 watts. Next is a nanostation M5 with around 6 watts.. and everything else is pulling less than 4. Which surprised me...

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: PPPoE and Live Switching

Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:27 pm

I ran into this issue which is why I posted this about it, read the red part

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=237

It is also advised that you turn PoE on and off in the switch and NOT unplug and plug cables in to energized ports, especially 48VH ports because the MOSFET circuits increase current slower than plunging the cable into a switch port that already has PoE turned on reducing the in-rush current load.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

billbuchan

Re: PPPoE and Live Switching

Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:22 am

Ah. yes. Sorry. I should have read that.

---* Bill

Return to Hardware and software issues