Question - Remote Change of Management IP settings and VLAN

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
deveauzt

Question - Remote Change of Management IP settings and VLAN

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:44 am

From what I've read on the forum, the Netonix switch applies it's management IP to whichever VLAN is at the top of the VLAN list, no matter what VLAN is there.

I have a switch with VLAN tab set as follows:

VLAN 1 - Management defined by default at the top of the list, untagged on all ports.
I've added a second VLAN below this, tagged on appropriate ports.
I've added a third VLAN below this, tagged on appropriate ports.

What I want to do is to change the switch's management IP address, management subnet, management gateway, while also moving that second vlan up a row to the very top so that it is the new management VLAN.

Since each of these settings (device management IP info, and VLAN order) are on a different tab in the GUI, my question is:

Will the switch let me move the second VLAN up to the top, tab over to the device configuration tab, enter IP info, and apply both of these settings using the same Save/Apply?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Question - Remote Change of Management IP settings and V

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:55 am

deveauzt wrote:From what I've read on the forum, the Netonix switch applies it's management IP to whichever VLAN is at the top of the VLAN list, no matter what VLAN is there.

Yes and No, the TOP VLAN is not moveable, it is the management VLAN, you can rename it, change the VLAN ID, but you can not move it. It is stationary and only that VLAN row will ever be the management VLAN.

deveauzt wrote:What I want to do is to change the switch's management IP address, management subnet, management gateway,

You change the switch IP information on the Device/Configuration TAB

deveauzt wrote:while also moving that second vlan up a row to the very top so that it is the new management VLAN.

Answered above.

deveauzt wrote:Since each of these settings (device management IP info, and VLAN order) are on a different tab in the GUI, my question is:

Will the switch let me move the second VLAN up to the top, tab over to the device configuration tab, enter IP info, and apply both of these settings using the same Save/Apply?

Well you can not MOVE the management VLAN row as answered above but yes you can make changes on all the TABs then hit the Save/Apply and it saves and applies all changes on all TABs at the same time.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1572&p=11646&hilit=default+vlan#p11646
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1570&p=11639&hilit=default+vlan#p11639
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2040&p=15094&hilit=+default+vlan#p15094
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2718&p=18847&hilit=+default+vlan#p18847
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2635&p=18457&hilit=+default+vlan#p18457

If you are this unfamiliar with our switch I suggest you play with it in the LAB and not in production until you fully understand it, and make sure to upgrade to v1.4.9.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

deveauzt

Re: Question - Remote Change of Management IP settings and V

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:42 am

Thanks for the info. That modifies my order of ops a bit but sounds straightforward enough.

It sounds like I'll be:

1) Changing the VLAN ID of the Management VL from 1 to new value and switching the 'U's to 'T's where required.

2) Hitting + button to add in other tagged VLANs as required.

3) Hitting the + button to add VL 1 back into the switch lower in the list, 'U' on all ports again.

4) Tabbing over to the Device/Config TAB to change the switch IP info.

5) Use one Save/Apply to commit all settings on all TABs.

I'd definitely prefer to lab it up first though like you say.
I'm gonna see if I can track an extra switch down to test it out on the bench first.

Return to Hardware and software issues