WS-26-500-DC switches rebooting randomly?

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
jefa

Re: WS-26-500-DC switches rebooting randomly?

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:53 am

There was added some snmp-features in 1.4.9

Do you have some monitoring software running snmp to the switches, that might read some extra parameters once per day (and not say every 5 minutes)? - could be a "full scan" finding new interfaces.

Could you try disabling one of the switches in the snmp monitoring to see if it stops rebooting?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:29 am

jefa wrote:There was added some snmp-features in 1.4.9

Do you have some monitoring software running snmp to the switches, that might read some extra parameters once per day (and not say every 5 minutes)? - could be a "full scan" finding new interfaces.

Could you try disabling one of the switches in the snmp monitoring to see if it stops rebooting?

Good idea, worth a try.

We also ordered some additional test equipment such as more load generators so that when we get one of these back we will test them rigorously.

Sadly it could take up to 2 weeks to get the test gear.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

intellipop

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:57 pm

sirhc wrote:
jefa wrote:There was added some snmp-features in 1.4.9

Good idea, worth a try.

We also ordered some additional test equipment such as more load generators so that when we get one of these back we will test them rigorously.

Sadly it could take up to 2 weeks to get the test gear.

I just sent an RMA request and pulled the switch from our warehouse. This switch did not have SNMP enabled at all

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:54 pm

We released a new version to possibly help with issues for the WS-26-500-DC

You can download v1.5.0rcX here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=240&p=848#p848

Please let us know if it helps.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rhino1515

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:47 pm

We are seeing the same issue on all 26 port switches we have deployed - both DC (WS-26-500-DC) and AC (WS-26-400-AC). Reboots every 2-3 days.

We just applied the new firmware on one of the WS-26-500-DC as a test. I'm really hoping this takes care of it - I'll post results when available.

Thanks.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:15 pm

rhino1515 wrote:We are seeing the same issue on all 26 port switches we have deployed - both DC (WS-26-500-DC) and AC (WS-26-400-AC). Reboots every 2-3 days.

We just applied the new firmware on one of the WS-26-500-DC as a test. I'm really hoping this takes care of it - I'll post results when available.

Thanks.

There was not an issue found that would cause WS-26-400-AC to reboot.

We are suspecting the WS-26-500-DC was rebooting due to HIGH CPU utilization keeping track of all the telemetry which we optimized cutting CPU utilization in half. This actually reduces CPU utilization on ALL models but the CPU was never too high on other models to affect things.

If the CPU utilization gets to high it can trigger the watchdog and reboots the switch.

If your seeing a WS-26-400-AC reboot which I have several in service and this has never been an issue then I would suggest further investigating them for other possible issues.

Possible causes:
Insufficient UPS or other power issue
Grounding
Network Loops or other types of massive packet storms (7+ Million broadcast pps - this "can" cause a reboot)

400ac.png

wifi442

Sat May 12, 2018 5:27 pm

Chris,

Yesterday I swapped out a WS-12-250-DC for a WS-26-500-DC. The WS-26-500-DC has been on the shelf in the box for several months. Today it rebooted with less that 24 hours of uptime. The WS-12-250-DC that was there never rebooted and had almost a year of uptime.

If I order a newer unit from you will the problem be corrected? This is a mission critical site that can't have this happen. Would you recommend for now that I just use 2 WS-12-250-DC instead?

Edited to add: Firmware is 1.5.0rc3 right now.

Another Edit: Looks like I am having I2C cable issues. Errors are popping up randomly. Should I just try rerouting the cable to see if it helps?

Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot_20180512-143755_Video Player.jpg

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat May 12, 2018 6:28 pm

1) yes all units in USA Distribution channels have been corrected. And yes I would check/fix the I2C cables.

2) Upgrade to v1.5.0rc4

3) The reboot could or could not be the switches fault. For instance how are you powering the WS-26-500-DC, is it connected directly to battery bank or a charger/power supply?

If you purchase a spare and swap out and problem goes away then RMA it.

Previous
Return to Hardware and software issues