VLANs not passing in some configs on the WS-6-MINI

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
intellipop

VLANs not passing in some configs on the WS-6-MINI

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:11 am

Guys,

I tried to contact Chris and company via the contact and direct email so far no luck. Figured I would post here my findings.

We have a WS-6-MINI running firmware 1.4.7, the device is powered via POE from a AC switch running the same version. This switch is NOT powering any down stream POE devices.

When we leave port #2 tagged with both VLANs no traffic will pass on the untagged ports 3-6. If we untagg the port #2 to the same VLAN as port 3-6 all seems fine. Ideally we want all VLANS tagged on ports 1-2, and one vlan untagged on 3-6, seems this configuration isn't working. Odd right? Here are some examples.

VLAN Not passing on 3-6
vlan-error.png

VLAN Passing on 3-6
vlan-error-working.png
vlan-error-working.png (11.6 KiB) Viewed 4347 times

mike99
Associate
Associate

Re: VLANs not passing in some configs on the WS-6-MINI

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:03 pm

The VLAN must also be tag on the device connected to port 2. If it's a router, you need to add the VLAN to the port. Maybe you should hire a consultant or study more VLAN.

intellipop

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:03 am

Perhaps you need to learn to read, the VLAN stops passing on the UNTAGGED ports. If your goal is to troll the forms I suspect you should go find your self a new hobby.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:47 am

Mike99 is not a troll, he helps a lot of people on here which you can denote that by his rank with is an "Associate" of Netonix as a reward for all his time spent helping people for free.

First thing I would do is upgrade to v1.4.8rc7 since all the bugs found in v1.4.7 are fixed in v1.4.8rc7.

"RC" with us does not mean Release Candidate like other manufactures and after this series of firmware changes we will no longer use "rc" in future firmware versions as it causes too many people confusion.

We have sold tens of thousands of these switches all over the world and VLANs are a common use so there is mostl likely no bug you are reporting here but rather you are not understanding what is going on with VLANs.

With the way you have your VLANs setup as below I have described how packets will be handled.
v1.png

Ports 1 and 2 will accept 2 type of ingress packets:
1) Untagged packets which will be directed to the switch UI/CLI only as defined in the Management VLAN (The one VLAN definition that is always at the top of the list)

Untagged packets entering ports 1 and 2 can NOT egress or exit ports 3,4,5,6.

But untagged packets can ingress and egress between ports 1 and 2 freely.

You can renumber or rename the Management VLAN but it is always at the top of the list and the only VLAN matrix definition that has access to the switch UI/CLI

2) Tagged packets with VLAN ID 202, any other VLAN ID tagged packet will be dropped or refused trying to ingress on ports 1 and 2

Ingress packets on ports 1 and 2 with VLAN ID tag of 202 will be available to exit ports 3,4,5,6 having their VLAN ID tag (encapsulation) stripped on egress of those ports and become a normal packet with no encapsulation.

Only normal untagged ingress packets on ports 3,4,5,6 will be accepted all others will be dropped or refused. Untagged ingress packets entering ports 3,4,5,6 can not get to the switch UI and can only egress on ports 1 and 2 as encapsulated VLAN packets with a VLAN ID tag of 202. (the packets are encapsulated on exit of ports 1 and 2 with VLAN ID 202)

So the only way to get to the switch UI would be through ports 1 and 2 as untagged packets, untagged packets entering ports 3,4,5,6 can NOT get to the switch UI/CLI.

Tagged packets with the VLAN ID of 202 ingress on ports 1 and 2 can only egress out ports 3,4,5,6 as untagged packets

I think what mike99 is saying is we did not write how the VLANs are handled as VLANs are defined by an IEEE standard known as 802.1Q which there are plenty of documents on the internet to explain how VLANs are handled. As a switch manufacturer it is our job to help people with understanding our switch UI and or fix any bugs and support our switch but not teach the use or implementation of VLANs.

So I have explained what your VLAN config will do but I have no idea what your devices attached to the ports are setup to do and what you goal is to achieve so beyond telling what you should expect how the packets will be handled in your current config I need more information on what is on each port and how they are configured and what you envision your VLAN config to do so that we may better suggest what you're doing wrong.

IEEE 802.1Q is defined here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.1Q

We also support IEEE 802.1ad which is QinQ and is defined here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.1ad

We also have a search box which you can search the forums for other people's questions and answers regarding VLANs:
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:43 pm

intellipop wrote:Perhaps you need to learn to read, the VLAN stops passing on the UNTAGGED ports. If your goal is to troll the forms I suspect you should go find your self a new hobby.

If VLAN pass when untag on port 2 but won't pass through when tagged on port 2, that mean your vlan is not tagged on the device plugged on port 2 (so traffic is untag).
But if it stop on untagged ports, like you writed, that mean that you can't ping between untagged ports (between 3,4,5 and 6) ? Is that what you mean or only between 2 and the untagged ports ? If it's ping between untagged ports but not between tagged 2 and the untagged ports, that mean the traffic that enter port 2 is not tagged with VLAN 202 so dropped by the switch.

Return to Hardware and software issues