Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:22 am

Any news about MSTP?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Firmware Road Map

Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:25 am

MSTP is next after we get all the current features working 100%

After MSTP we are nearing the end I think of Large feature sets?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

tma
Experienced Member

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:53 am

> After MSTP we are nearing the end I think of Large feature sets?

Well, I don't know whether your chipset can do QoS in terms of traffic shaping - like prioritizing and throttling based on port and IP address ranges. This is something Linux is really good at, and until recently, I wouldn't have thought that traffic shaping should be done on switches. However, given the unfortunate fact that the Cavium-based EdgeMax routers will do traffic shaping only when IP offload is turned off (which makes them really slow), I'm in a need for a device in the backbone (on each station) that can help out - that would be the switch(es).

So if your question was meant as an invitation to give you another large feature set to work on, here you go ...
--
Thomas Giger

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:28 am

tma wrote:> After MSTP we are nearing the end I think of Large feature sets?

Well, I don't know whether your chipset can do QoS in terms of traffic shaping - like prioritizing and throttling based on port and IP address ranges. This is something Linux is really good at, and until recently, I wouldn't have thought that traffic shaping should be done on switches. However, given the unfortunate fact that the Cavium-based EdgeMax routers will do traffic shaping only when IP offload is turned off (which makes them really slow), I'm in a need for a device in the backbone (on each station) that can help out - that would be the switch(es).

So if your question was meant as an invitation to give you another large feature set to work on, here you go ...

Our next family of switch can do this. NOT COMING OUT ANY TIME SOON THOUGH
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

tonym

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:11 am

sakita wrote:As long as said layer 3 device is in all VLANs. There is a blurry line where modern switches are really layer 2.5

Take a look at all features and ask yourself what layer they are. It can be surprising.

DHCP relay is still a handy feature...

...once again a balancing act.

I have a feature similar to DHCP relay on some of my layer 2 devices. It is called MAC Forced Forwarding. It takes broadcasts and directs them at the l3 gateway as detected by either DHCP snooping or explicit definition. It also uses a form of ARP proxy to reply to all requests with the address of the router even if the device is local. This reduces the amount of broadcasts traversing the network and contains issues. The only problem is i'm not sure how it interacts with APs connected to a switch doing MACFF, maybe it would only work properly if client isolation is enabled.

I would want MACFF over DHCP relay personally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC-Forced_Forwarding

Eric Stern
Employee
Employee

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:58 pm

tonym wrote:
sakita wrote:As long as said layer 3 device is in all VLANs. There is a blurry line where modern switches are really layer 2.5

Take a look at all features and ask yourself what layer they are. It can be surprising.

DHCP relay is still a handy feature...

...once again a balancing act.

I have a feature similar to DHCP relay on some of my layer 2 devices. It is called MAC Forced Forwarding. It takes broadcasts and directs them at the l3 gateway as detected by either DHCP snooping or explicit definition. It also uses a form of ARP proxy to reply to all requests with the address of the router even if the device is local. This reduces the amount of broadcasts traversing the network and contains issues. The only problem is i'm not sure how it interacts with APs connected to a switch doing MACFF, maybe it would only work properly if client isolation is enabled.

I would want MACFF over DHCP relay personally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC-Forced_Forwarding

I've added this to our future "to-do" list.

Travis_WVN

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:24 pm

Any chance for MPLS-VPLS type features, or even better going up to TRILL or SPB (802.1aq)? I know those are usually data-center feature-sets, but it has applicability for the WISP industry if you consider the performance/reliability benefits of having a large number of cross-connects between tower sites in dense areas.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:43 am

Travis_WVN wrote:Any chance for MPLS-VPLS type features

Q in Q but I think Eric would have to look to be able to also encapsulated protocols.

Eric Stern
Employee
Employee

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:59 am

Travis_WVN wrote:Any chance for MPLS-VPLS type features, or even better going up to TRILL or SPB (802.1aq)? I know those are usually data-center feature-sets, but it has applicability for the WISP industry if you consider the performance/reliability benefits of having a large number of cross-connects between tower sites in dense areas.

This won't be possible as our switch core does not support MPLS.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:27 am

However our next generation switch cores do support MPLS, SFP+, and routing but there is no schedule on these models so please do not ask when as the answer would be I DO NOT KNOW AN ETA

PreviousNext
Return to Hardware and software issues