IGMP Snooping Not Working [WS-6-MINI]

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
Eric Stern
Employee
Employee

Re: IGMP Snooping Not Working [WS-6-MINI]

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:29 pm

Kingsley wrote:My test lab is a default switch, IGMP snooping enabled, port 1 is 48v PoE to run a camera that is set to multicast to 226.2.242.123:60001 and any port i bring up the Ethernet carrier on receives the multicast. I've tested this with rc9, 10, 11 and 12. I've confirmed this with wireshark also. Nothing I do stops the multicast getting through.

I have also tested in our production environment and see the same thing. Multicast goes everywhere that vlan is configured.

Regards
Travis

Do you have the IGMP querier option enabled? What does "show igmp" at the CLI tell you?

uberdome
Experienced Member

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:19 pm

Eric Stern wrote:
uberdome wrote:
Eric Stern wrote:It works in my test lab. If you can provide me with details of a specific configuration that does not work I can look into it.
Eric, Have you had a chance to review my last post where it shows an IP is needed for IGMP snooping to work (this is not typical with other vendors)? Thank you, Chris
I don't see how that could be true. IGMP is a IP level protocol, therefore for the IGMP querier to work it would need to have a valid IP on the given VLAN. I could see IGMP snooping working with no IP address configured, but not with the querier option enabled.

Exactly. I think we're actually on the same page. For just snooping, there should be no need for an IP address (just like other vendors). To run a querier, however, and IP address would be necessary.

These are usually two separate features. Snooping can normally be turned on or off on a per-VLAN basis... and separately a querier can be configured. The Netonix right now requires all or none, and therefore requires an IP. This should be separated like is typical with other vendors.

Kingsley

Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:12 pm

I have tried with the querier on and off, no change.

uberdome
Experienced Member

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:08 am

Kingsley wrote:I have tried with the querier on and off, no change.

Try putting everything in a new VLAN for the multicast, then enable IGMP in the settings menu, and enable the querier for that VLAN. Also, make an IP address for that VLAN that is in your local subnet.

These are the steps we found were necessary for IGMP snooping to work. I do think this should be improved, but please test and see if this works for you.

Kingsley

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for the advise. Do you know if I would have to put an IP on every switch and enable querier on every switch?

Regards
Travis

uberdome
Experienced Member

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:16 pm

Kingsley wrote:Do you know if I would have to put an IP on every switch and enable querier on every switch?

The way it is currently functioning (as I stated above, this should be changed, but it is this way now)... yes, you need to put an IP on every Netonix switch and enable the querier on every switch. The queriers will then all automatically disable themselves once they find the querier that is already on your network. Please report here what you find.

tom.barrett

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Just to revive an old thread...sorry.
So is this still the working configuration? I must put multicast on a vlan, set a non-routable ip on that vlan then enable the querier? So, since my network is ONLY iptv, and I have to manage on that network, I have to choose between managing the switch or having working multicast snooping? Thats not very acceptable...

uberdome
Experienced Member

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:56 am

tom.barrett wrote:Just to revive an old thread...sorry.

I feel very strongly that "reviving" an unresolved thread is important. I would always bump a matching unresolved thread if possible, it helps to show how long the problem has been going on.

tom.barrett wrote:...So is this still the working configuration? I must put multicast on a vlan, set a non-routable ip on that vlan then enable the querier? So, since my network is ONLY iptv, and I have to manage on that network, I have to choose between managing the switch or having working multicast snooping? Thats not very acceptable...

In my testing so far, I have NOT found any working configuration. Even when using the native VLAN, multicast streams would periodically drop out. This is an important issue that Netonix has not yet resolved.

Kingsley

Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:08 pm

IGMP snooping is still broken... It doesn't work, I have invested weeks without any decent outcomes.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:17 pm

Kingsley wrote:IGMP snooping is still broken... It doesn't work, I have invested weeks without any decent outcomes.

And your using v1.5.1rc7 ?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

PreviousNext
Return to Hardware and software issues