SFP Module Appears Incompatible

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
amishgenius
Associate
Associate

SFP Module Appears Incompatible

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:54 pm

I've used quite a few of netonix switches with MM fiber, and have not had any issues. However, the other day I did an install with SM fiber and fiberstore SFPs. I was not able to get a fiber link. I tried forced gigabit and auto, neither worked. Am I missing something? I tested the fiber, and had less than 3db loss in the fiber.

I ended up using an alternate vendor for the switch and did not have any issues. I then took the switches back and tested on the bench and still could not get it to work.

Am I doing it wrong?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: SFP Module Appears Incompatible

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:08 pm

There is a list of modules that do and do not work here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=293#p1239

Actually you should have posted in that thread, it is a sticky announcement at the TOP of the General Forum but could also find the thread with a search for "SFP module".

You neither stated the exact SFP model # you tried or the firmware version your running?

I hope you're using v1.4.7rc18?

It's also possible the SFP port is defective in the switch unless you tried another SFP module that did work?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

amishgenius
Associate
Associate

Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:57 am

I'm using Fiberstore SFP-GE-BX which is on the list of compatible modules. I will have to check Firmware.

I did not swap modules when I put in other switch, so it wouldn't be defective module. I'll check firmware and get back to you.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:13 am

I said it could be a defective SFP slot in the switch as well which is why I suggested trying another type of known good module in that slot.

Yes, please always use the most recent firmware Sam before deployment and when possible upgrade equipment in service on a regular basis. What version of firmware was on the switch?

Also I would suggest always set equipment up in the LAB and make sure everything works before deploying it which gives you the chance to find issues and work with any equipment manufacturer to help figure issues out before there is a crisis.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

amishgenius
Associate
Associate

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:31 pm

v1.4.7rc18 for the win

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:55 pm

amishgenius wrote:v1.4.7rc18 for the win

*sigh* Sam, we are friends, we have talked about this many times plus there is this piece of paper that lays on top of the switch that you have to move that states the following:

****************************************************************************************************************************

IMPORTANT NOTICE
PLEASE CHECK FOR UPDATED FIRMWARE FOR THIS SWITCH BEFORE YOU USE IT AS THERE MAY HAVE BEEN BUG FIXES SINCE THIS UNIT WAS ASSEMBLED.
****************************************************************************************************************************
This is why when people ask me to spend the time to make and maintain a manual I baulk so much. If I can not get people to read a single piece of paper that lays on top of a switch when they unbox it and follow 1 simple instruction then what are the odds they will actually read a manual before calling me or making a post.

Another example of similar behavior is even you, a close friend and associate, make a post asking if anyone knew if an SFP module worked with the switch before doing a search on the forums for the SFP module which would have revealed it does work with the switch you just needed to upgrading the firmware first. :headb:

And anytime you have an issue make sure you first try the latest firmware before making a post asking for help as it might have been fixed already and then we do not waste time chasing our tails in a circle. :ak:

If I can not convince my friends to upgrade their firmware FIRST before deploying and keep it up to date or do Forum searches for questions first how can I ever expect the masses to do it. :Cry2:

I love all you guys and without you guys I would not be in business I know this and appreciate each and everyone of you but you do frustrate me so from time to time. Pirate4

amishgenius
Associate
Associate

Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:45 pm

We're supposed to read that paper? *sigh* Ok, I will next time. And I did search the forum for answer...and came up short.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:02 pm

amishgenius wrote:We're supposed to read that paper? *sigh* Ok, I will next time. And I did search the forum for answer...and came up short.

Well if you would have searched for the SFP model # you would have known someone said it worked.

Now keep in mind I did an an "Advanced Search" by clicking on the magnifying glass in the search box.

Then since the minus signs in the model # messes with the search feature I did this search criteria: "+Fiberstore +SFP +GE +BX"

You could have even just searched for "Fiberstore" and skimmed a few posts in the list and found your needed information in less than 5 minutes.

Then the posts below popped up:

This post would have told you someone claims it does indeed work.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=293&p=18250&hilit=+Fiberstore+SFP+GE+BX#p18250

Now this is not a complete model # match but this post would have told you the Fiberstore brand does work and reminded you to upgrade your firmware and your life would have been much smoother that day!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=293&p=18659&hilit=+Fiberstore+SFP+GE+BX#p18659
StrataNet wrote:CONFIRMED WORKING:

- Fiberstore SFP1G-LH-31
- Fiberstore SFP-10GLR-31 (10 Gb, tested for curiousity because I had a pair on hand)
- MikroTik S-53LC20D / S35LC20D (both ends tested)
- MikroTik S-RJ01

(I will test the SFP-1GTA-1M when it arrives).

Tested on WS-12-250-DC, FW v1.4.7rc18, board rev F. Default configuration (Link - Auto; Flow Control - Both).
Endpoint is a MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-2HnD-IN, FW v6.37.2. Auto Neg; Flow Control both off.

I am trying to make people go through certain steps to make their life easier and allow us to be able to respond fast to requests for help as we grow. We are at that point where more people are needed but not yet justified by size. All of you being businessmen know what I am talking about. It is this limbo land where you need more people sometimes but your income does not justify another body. - GROWING PAINS.

- Always install the latest firmware when installing a new switch.

- Always try to keep your firmware up to date as there are security patches.

- Always try the latest firmware and search for your issue on the forums when you do encounter a problem before asking for help or reporting a possible BUG that needs fixing.

- Skim/Read the release notes from time to time to stay up to date with known bugs, fixes, and security patches.

We want to continue to be able to answer people's request for help FAST but the bigger we become and the more people that ask the same questions takes away from that ability as the most valuable thing in the universe is TIME.

Damonsaz

Wed May 03, 2017 12:28 am

I also used the fiberstore's SFP that worked well. No issue happened in my network.

Have you dealt with the issue? If it still didn't solved, you can ask the staff at fiberstore for help. Hope it would be solved soon.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed May 03, 2017 8:00 am

Damonsaz wrote:I also used the fiberstore's SFP that worked well. No issue happened in my network.

Have you dealt with the issue? If it still didn't solved, you can ask the staff at fiberstore for help. Hope it would be solved soon.

He got it to work, he upgraded the firmware from the version that ships on the unit which was v1.4.2

amishgenius wrote:v1.4.7rc18 for the win

Next
Return to Hardware and software issues