High Temp - CPU and PHY - ws-12-250-DC

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
dersonik

High Temp - CPU and PHY - ws-12-250-DC

Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:42 pm

Hi
I have some issue with CPU and PHY temp.
This is new switch.
Switch is stable just wondering about temp.
Attachments
netonix.PNG

jonwang

Re: High Temp - CPU and PHY - ws-12-250-DC

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:02 pm

The fan shows its off. Are you nearby that you can confirm the fan isn't moving?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:28 pm

jonwang wrote:The fan shows its off. Are you nearby that you can confirm the fan isn't moving?

Yea the fan would not be moving with a low board temp as we are currently controlling the fan soly on board temp alone.

We are going to change this on the next release so that we will also take into account CPU and PHY temp.

We are guessing this is because the switch is in a COLD environment and the board is so cold but the CPU and PHY are warm.

The CPU and PHY are rated to run at 125C all day long so he is not in danger.

Also the CPU and PHY sensors are built into the chip and the manufacturer says to take their readings with a grain of salt as I think they have a +/- 30% variance which is why we had used our board sensors.

With the new firmware will always kick LOW fan on if CPU or PHY is > 100C
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

dersonik

Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:04 am

I think LOW fan is not enough.
Should be medium. LOW is not enough - checked in practice when temperature was 120 - LOW cooled down max - 115

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:43 am

dersonik wrote:I think LOW fan is not enough.
Should be medium. LOW is not enough - checked in practice when temperature was 120 - LOW cooled down max - 115

It is very possible the CPU and PHY sensors in that SOC are just way out of whack.

The manufacturer of the SOC said those sensors are +/- 20% - 30%.

The next firmware release will have new fan controls so let's see what it does for you but you're fine for now as the SOC is rated to operate at 125C all day long.

Another thing I have seen is bugs (spiders) get in the switch and make a nest in the heat sinks which make them run hot. Nothing like opening up an RMA unit on the bench and hundred of baby spiders run all over the place.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

IntL-Daniel
Experienced Member

Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:20 am

I have found this old topic and want to share my current experience with the NEW unpacked WS-12-250-AC switch. I have replaced other NENONIX switch on my site with the new one and see attachements below.

So while the other WS-12-250-AC switch has the highes CPU/PHY temp from 44 to 74°C, the new one has ~ +20°C more - from 70 to 95°C. As I read above, it seems that in the newer switch has different CPU/PHY sensors than before and now I have these with +- 30% accurancy? I was thinking about bad mounting of heat sink inside, or maybe missing?

So should I be affraid of something with this strange CPU/PHY Temp state on the same product?

Edit: Curently I have found that both mentioned screenshots are from two switches from the same batch - production 03/2021. So for me it souds more like problem of heat sink on CPU (?) and the reason for RMA? @sirhc ?
Attachments
ok-WS12-250-AC-fan-finished.jpg
other switch - at this state the fan finished
ok-WS12-250-AC-fan-starting.jpg
other switch - at this state the fan starting to rotate...
bad-WS12-250-AC-fan-finished.jpg
NEW switch - at this state the fan finished
bad-WS12-250-AC-fan-starting.jpg
NEW switch - at this state the fan starting to rotate...
Last edited by IntL-Daniel on Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:32 pm

I am sure your switch is fine.

The temp sensors for the CPU and PHY are built into the chip and are notoriously inaccurate. No they are NOT new or differnt as they are built into the SOC chip, we simply read them.

The board temp is an external sensor we put on the board and is much more accurate.

If your concerned the heat sink is lose then open the chassis and verify the heat sink on the SOC chip is secure.

IntL-Daniel
Experienced Member

Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:42 pm

Thanks for reply. And can I open the case (break the sticker) without lose of warranty?

Edit: BTW I though that this annoucement since fw v1.5.3 means changes in these sensors? If not, then there is really something different because as you can see on all of my screenshots the PHY and CPU temp is exactly the same WHILE on older switches (even on the same board Rev F) I can see always different values on PHY a CPU (see another screenshot example).
Attachments
WS-12-250-AC.jpg

Return to Hardware and software issues