Suppressing unexpected link change messages

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
AlexC

Suppressing unexpected link change messages

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:56 am

I have a remote switch (WS-8-150-DC 1.4.3) that turns off a couple of devices overnight to save power and and each morning shortly after it turns the ports/device back on I receive an email or two that contains something like:

unexpected link change on port 4 (XXXXXX) from 1G to 100M-F - from YYYYYYYY (*.*.*.*) .

Is there any way to suppress these particualr notifications, either:

* In general for the switch entirely
* For the particular ports
* For the particular ports for a set amount of time after a power change on the port

Eric Stern
Employee
Employee

Re: Suppressing unexpected link change messages

Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:42 pm

Already on the to-do list.

sakita
Experienced Member

Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:15 am

Hopefully something granular. Below is an example of how another product does it (maybe some ideas).

On a port basis alarms can be turned on / off (although maybe not the best idea as there are things it would be nice to be notified about)...

port parameters 20161215.jpg
Port setup parameters - including disabling alarms.
port parameters 20161215.jpg (17.39 KiB) Viewed 6241 times

...alarms overall can be adjusted (you can't change the level but you can adjust what is done with them and how often they refresh)...

alarm setup example 20161215.jpg
Allowed adjustments for what is done with alarms.
Today is an average day: Worse than yesterday, but better than tomorrow.

Taigar

Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:25 am

Any updates on this request?
I have one switch with a PC connected. It would be nice to disable the notifications for this port only.

Thanks!

KBrownConsulting

Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:53 am

Bump. I'm interested in this as well. (Specifically, I have a switch where I want emailed link change alerts for most ports, but not all.)

mheym56820

Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:16 am

Any update on this? I am looking to suppress this alert on a specific port as others are.

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:39 pm

Hey mheym56820, yes this feature was added in 1.5.5.

If you are on a version higher than that, just uncheck the box for the port you are interested in on the "Stats" column.

mheym56820

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:50 pm

Stephen wrote:Hey mheym56820, yes this feature was added in 1.5.5.

If you are on a version higher than that, just uncheck the box for the port you are interested in on the "Statics" column.

Are you referring to the "Stats" selection for the specific port which will remove it all together from the total statistics?

KBrownConsulting

Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:26 pm

mheym56820 wrote:
Stephen wrote:Hey mheym56820, yes this feature was added in 1.5.5.

If you are on a version higher than that, just uncheck the box for the port you are interested in on the "Statics" column.

Are you referring to the "Stats" selection for the specific port which will remove it all together from the total statistics?

@Stephen
I just checked a switch running 1.5.9rc1 & couldn't find the "Statics" column, unless like mheym56820 said, you are referring to the "Stats" column on the Ports tab...

Are we looking in the wrong place? If you were referring to the "Stats" option on the Ports tab the problem with that for me is that I don't want to disable ALL stats for the port. I just want to disable / suppress the Link Change alerts for the port.

I know you can disable the Link Change email alerts for ALL ports using the little gear icon next to the SMTP options on the Device > Configuration page, but again the problem is that I do want to receive those alerts for most ports on the switch, I just have a specific port where a device is intentionally rebooted regularly and I'd prefer not to get an alert when the link changes on that port.

Something along the lines of a new "Alerts" option in the gear icon drop down menu for each port on the Ports tab, that would pop up a new dialog & allow us to control which alerts we get for the port would be ideal. Or maybe even better, an Alerts button on the Device > Configuration page that when opened gives you a table showing all ports down the left with check boxes for each alert option along the top. That would definitely be a quicker way to view & change the port based alert options instead of having to check each port individually.

Lastly, while I would love to see new functionality like this & hope it makes it into a future update, I'm aware & agree that issues like updating TLS & PHP are higher priority. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:43 pm

mheym56820 wrote:Are you referring to the "Stats" selection for the specific port which will remove it all together from the total statistics?

KBrownConsulting wrote:I just checked a switch running 1.5.9rc1 & couldn't find the "Statics" column, unless like mheym56820 said, you are referring to the "Stats" column on the Ports tab...

That is correct, it is currently implemented on the Stats column.

KBrownConsulting wrote:Something along the lines of a new "Alerts" option in the gear icon drop down menu for each port on the Ports tab, that would pop up a new dialog & allow us to control which alerts we get for the port would be ideal. Or maybe even better, an Alerts button on the Device > Configuration page that when opened gives you a table showing all ports down the left with check boxes for each alert option along the top. That would definitely be a quicker way to view & change the port based alert options instead of having to check each port individually.

Yeah we could definitely do that. I will add it to the list to look into.

KBrownConsulting wrote:Lastly, while I would love to see new functionality like this & hope it makes it into a future update, I'm aware & agree that issues like updating TLS & PHP are higher priority. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Thank you, your understanding is appreciated.

Next
Return to Hardware and software issues