WS-6-MINI Keeps crashing/rebooting?

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
sbyrd
Experienced Member

Re: WS-6-MINI Keeps crashing/rebooting?

Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:22 pm

What is so annoying about this issue is I have never had anything like this happen before where a Netonix switch just keeps rebooting. While not a lot, I have 4 other MINIs installed that run 4-5 APs powered by AF24 POE injectors that have never had any unexpected reboots, and this switch while not brand new (was pulled from another site) ran flawlessly for a couple of months without any reboots and it was powering an AF24 along with a Nanobridge.

I am not blaming anybody, but I hope to get this solved.

sbyrd
Experienced Member

Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:27 pm

Sirhc if you had to guess should I replace the power supply first or the switch first. It has to be one or the other at this point right?

sbyrd
Experienced Member

Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:04 pm

I am out at the tower and getting 124V from the UPS and 123V out at the towers power outlet. Incoming AC voltage is steady.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:13 pm

I do not know, like I said I had not had time to review your config, not sure what this is.

Here are your possibilities:

1) Bad Switch - you can find out by swapping the switch.
Could also try factory defaulting and manually setting back up as you could have a corrupt config file.

2) Power Issue - try replacing the POE brick

3) Configuration issue - I was questioning to make sure you have either RSTP or Loop Protection enabled incase some how your config is making a loop.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sbyrd
Experienced Member

Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:28 pm

I have replaced the switch and the power supply and also manually setup the new switch. It still is rebooting.

Rtsp and loop protection at off as I do not have any loop potential in its current setup.

Right now the switch has the same basic config as all my other working minis. I am no longer using the switch as midspan Poe. It is still rebooting.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:50 pm

Please Enable RSTP just in case, can not hurt, you can always disable later.

Only other thing I can think of is your running an AC extension cord over from some other power source with a differnt Garth Ground potential and whatever you are mounting the radios on has a different Earth Ground System which can be bad because if the tower has a better ground rod system then the other building would try and get to the ground of the tower through the switch and radios?

What type of tower is this and does it have its own grounding system which is differnt from where you are getting electric from?
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:03 pm

When you draw power from another electric service that does not have its Earth Ground bonded to the tower ground system your mounting on you only want the HOT (WHITE) and NEUTRAL (BLACK) wire and then you use the ground from your tower.

CLICK IMAGE TO VIEW FULL SIZE
g.jpg

Here are some good posts on grounding:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1816
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=188
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1429
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1786&start=30#p13447
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airFiber/ ... rue#M31070

sbyrd
Experienced Member

Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:29 pm

I sent a pm with my number. Can you call me?

sbyrd
Experienced Member

Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:27 pm

I replaced the switch and power supply with new ones and the new switch kept rebooting about every 10-15 minutes.

I then called Sirhc and he told me to separate the power ground from the tower ground as recommended 2 post earlier. I did that but the replacement switch rebooted as well.

What is actually happening is the switch becomes unresponsive, but the APs powered by the switch keep working but with no ethernet link. Then after a few more minutes the whole switch reboots.

Any way I went ahead and put another new switch in place (one that was not connected to the tower when the Switch power supply was connected to the AC ground). So far it has not rebooted in 1hr and 6 minutes. The Board 24V/3V readings are also more stable at a constant 24.3-24.4 V and 3.3V where before I seem to recall it was anywhere from 23-25 V and 3.3-3.5V. However, the previous switch worked for 22 hours yesterday with no issue so I need to have no unplanned reboots for at least 48-72 hours before I call this issue resolved.

Also the CPU temp is around 90C and the board temp around 63C. Should I be concerned could heat be a culprit as this issue did not happen yesterday after 5pm and was good tiil around 2pm the next day. Today was much hotter in the afternoon than yesterday.

Sirhc - I have taken one of the possibly damaged switches back to the office and have it powered on one of the used AF24 POE injectors. It is currently powering 3 Nanobridges. If this switch runs for days without rebooting does that mean the switch is good? If you feel the switch is bad, what do you think was damaged and how much will it cost to fix it?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:16 pm

I would test all the port POE options then test each port to achieve 1G and if it runs fine in office it is OK.

Temperature "could" still be the culprit but my bet is on the fact that your service ground was different then the tower ground.

Doing what I illustrated in the above picture is what you should do. You of course should also run a dedicated ground wire with a ground bus and ground wire to each radio mount. - Just saying!!!

Here are some good posts on grounding:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=188
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1429

People discount what ground potential difference can do as far as damage and poor grounding without a dedicated ground path that is shorter and less resistant than your Ethernet cable.

There is a reason cell towers put so much money into grounding systems is they realize the savings in the long run and less down time with GOOD grounding.

PreviousNext
Return to Hardware and software issues