Water shorting an interface

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Re: Water shorting an interface

Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:48 pm

Yes, and I tackle that in two ways. One method involves putting some sealant around the wire just prior to pushing it in all the way before crimping. The other is to use dry tape. I have to say that since using dry tape, I only use gel filled for burial.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:14 am

lligetfa wrote:Yes, and I tackle that in two ways. One method involves putting some sealant around the wire just prior to pushing it in all the way before crimping. The other is to use dry tape. I have to say that since using dry tape, I only use gel filled for burial.

Do you have a web link for the dry tape you use?

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:27 am

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:38 am

For really tough conditions such as direct burial or where rodent damage is a concern, nothing beats Superior Essex OSP Broadband BBDG. Their gel will not flow even in vertical applications in hot environments.

http://ce.superioressex.com/uploadedfil ... d-bbdg.pdf
BBDG is an Outside Plant (OSP) Broadband category cable. It is designed to provide an extension of the LAN beyond the premises or in situations where the NEC code requires an OSP-rated cable when it is in contact with earth, whether in a conduit or not. The cable consists of four (4) balanced twisted pairs surrounded by Superior Essex PFM™ gel that does not drip or flow, even in cell tower applications at elevated temperatures. The jacketed core is covered with dry block and a corrugated, copper-clad steel armor providing exceptional Alien Crosstalk (AXT) performance. The outer jacket is an OSP-grade black polyethylene for superior sunlight and abrasion resistance. This armored design is suitable for the following deployments: duct, underground conduit, tower, lashed aerial, direct burial or open trench. The BBDG is available in a variety of performances including CAT 5e, CAT 6 and CAT 6A. An optional Aluminum Interlock Armor with overjacket is also available (not suitable for tower deployment).

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:37 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the useful cable info. I haven't looked, but I bet BBDG costs two arms and a leg per foot. :wink: I do like the idea of a gel that does not migrate, they should all be like that. Still, I wonder if fiber might not be a better overall choice in many similar commercial / industrial applications.

For more residential applications, the Shireen Tape cable looks nice, I hadn't paid close enough attention to it before. Shireen does make nice cable. But looking at the spec:
http://www.shireeninc.com/wp-content/up ... C-1042.pdf

It is providing an extra layer that is very water-proof which goes well toward keeping signal performance at a high level. Still if a crow or a rodent punctures it, seems like there still might be room for a capillary action, letting water flow through it?

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:37 pm

Ja, BBDG is not cheap. I use it where there are rodent concerns.

I think the Shireen might have a risk of water getting in between the inner and outer jacket. ISTR the dry tape is only around the twisted pairs. The BBDG I know has dry tape between jackets and gel on the inside.

I use surge protectors so if any water were to migrate to the end, worse case it screws up the surge protector.

RSENG-Eric

Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:37 pm

I 1up the BBDGE. We've used the new edition (white gel, not the clear). It has yet to run out of the cables that we installed over a year ago.

Dr_Agony

Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:34 pm

This is one of my biggest concerns. Will rain shorting the pairs destroy my switch? Water never gets to my switch because I put a patch panel in the bottom of my cabinet and patch to the switch from there, but I do have Ubiquiti radios factory default from water in a damaged line causing them to short from time to time. Will this ruin the switch?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:05 pm

Dr_Agony wrote:This is one of my biggest concerns. Will rain shorting the pairs destroy my switch? Water never gets to my switch because I put a patch panel in the bottom of my cabinet and patch to the switch from there, but I do have Ubiquiti radios factory default from water in a damaged line causing them to short from time to time. Will this ruin the switch?

I am sorry, we do not currently make aquatic switches, but you could make a post in the "What should we build next" thread.

Yes water in the RJ45 jacks will short out your switch, do you know of any switch that claims water in the RJ45 connectors will not corrode and short out the switch?

Here is what water will do to your RJ45 ports viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1273&p=9428&hilit=water#p9428
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Dr_Agony

Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:28 pm

Funny, Chris, but I said the water NEVER gets to my switch. My concern is water in the cable shorting the pairs there. Will that ruin the switch. (I've seen plenty of water-logged switchports, that's why I make sure water doesn't reach my switch.)
I see the posts about dry tape and flooded cables, but I've been telecom for nearly 20 years and have had plenty of icky-pick cables go wet, so those aren't a sure bet by any means.

PreviousNext
Return to Hardware and software issues