Voltage Spikes Unexplained

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
BaldwinCo

Re: Voltage Spikes Unexplained

Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:41 am

Thank You Dave and Sirhc. Is there more current hardware than Board F and Power Supply B? This is a significant hike in and has to be done during the day for safety .... so if we swap this hardware I want it to be the latest and greatest. Thanks again .....

Dave
Employee
Employee

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:28 pm

BaldwinCo

We are guessing we are actually getting a random read error from switch board to dc-dc power supply...which can be caused if unit is near a fm transmitter or some other sort of EMI source.....is this unit near any such source?

Dave

BaldwinCo

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:20 am

The closest FM tower is about 6 miles away. This location has only our equipment at it.

To add to the puzzle, we got a low voltage warning, see below ... but the actual voltage to the switch was 24.2 when I checked it before the sun came up.

Note that I have not calibrated the voltage because I saw some posts about it causing the switch to reboot.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 7.13.35 AM.png

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:46 pm

Well at this point I would SUGGEST swapping it out with a spare preferably one purchase in the past 6 months and see if the issues stop at your earliest convenience.

If the issue stops then RMA the unit.

Also why you are on site calibrate the new one.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

BaldwinCo

Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:35 pm

Thank You. We swapped it out yesterday morning and issue is gone and the new one is calibrated.

We will RMA the unit. We look forward to hearing the diagnosis once you get it.

BaldwinCo

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:00 am

Well, the switch went 10 days without a spike, but we got one at about 6 PM last night. See image below.

We do have a wind turbine on the site, but it is electrically disconnected from the system with a relay. But it could be creating some electrical noise I suppose.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 7.53.12 AM.png

leighton

Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:09 pm

We also get these random spikes - which I agree are likely some sort of interference rather than actual voltage spikes. They have happened to us even when no charger at all was connected to the batteries powering the Netonix DC switches. We see them on nearly all of the switches where we have 60GHz radios connected to the Netonix switches - Ubiquiti, IgniteNet and MikroTik. I have also tested putting an extra switch between the 60GHz radio (a Netonix Mini), and the interference still passes through to the DC switch. As another test, we've had a second DC Netonix switch alongside the switch connected to the 60GHz radios and connected to the same battery. When the spikes appear on the Netonix connected to the 60GHz radios, they don't appear on the second DC Netonix that's there only monitoring the voltage. We also don't think it's related to how we power the radios, because we've experimented with having direct DC to the radios rather than POE coming from the Netonix switches with no change. Take away the 60GHz radios and the spikes disappear.

Hope that info helps.

Leighton

DennyBoll

Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:09 pm

We also have spikes showing on our 250-DC connected to LifePO4, solar powered (including spikes in the middle of the night). We do have a 60GHz from Ubiquiti on port 2 (48v, 11 watts). Never had this problem before adding the 60, but we added it quite a while ago.

Firmware Version

Board Rev
F

Power Supply Firmware Version

Power Supply Board Rev
C
Attachments
Screen Shot 2024-06-19 at 8.53.48 AM.png

Dave
Employee
Employee

Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:13 pm

Leighton

Correct me if I am wrong, but you said one Netonix switch hooked up to DC supply, but not hooked up to radio via network cable, just monitoring battery voltage, shows no spikes, but the other Netonix device, hooked up to same battery, but connected via network cable to the 60G radios, does show the spikes.....did I understand you correctly?

Thanks.

Dave

We also get these random spikes - which I agree are likely some sort of interference rather than actual voltage spikes. They have happened to us even when no charger at all was connected to the batteries powering the Netonix DC switches. We see them on nearly all of the switches where we have 60GHz radios connected to the Netonix switches - Ubiquiti, IgniteNet and MikroTik. I have also tested putting an extra switch between the 60GHz radio (a Netonix Mini), and the interference still passes through to the DC switch. As another test, we've had a second DC Netonix switch alongside the switch connected to the 60GHz radios and connected to the same battery. When the spikes appear on the Netonix connected to the 60GHz radios, they don't appear on the second DC Netonix that's there only monitoring the voltage. We also don't think it's related to how we power the radios, because we've experimented with having direct DC to the radios rather than POE coming from the Netonix switches with no change. Take away the 60GHz radios and the spikes disappear.
Hope that info helps.
Leighton

Previous
Return to Hardware and software issues