If 1.5.15 bricked your switch PLEASE READ

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
Stephen
Employee
Employee

If 1.5.15 bricked your switch PLEASE READ

Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:00 pm

**UPDATE**

We have discovered this failure appears to be related to i2c queries to the on board mcu for the PSU. No code modifications have occurred here for awhile but it appears that the driver in the build system has been corrupted. So only smart DC switch's will be affected.
However, this means that there is actually is a fairly reliable method for recovery.

RECOVERY METHOD 1
-------------------------------------
For recovery, you will need
- a console cable to connect to the RS232 port
- PuTTY (or your preferred console program - I prefer screen personally)
- switch recovery tool. (details here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5902)

Follow these steps:
1. Completely power off the affected unit.
2. Plugin a console cable and open PuTTY (or preferred)
3. Power on the unit IMMEDIATLEY begin pressing Ctrl+c continuously in order to prevent the os from booting.
- if successful, you will see a "RedBoot>" prompt on the console
4. Leave the switch powered on, close PuTTY (or equivalent) leave the console cable connected.
5. Run the switch recovery program, and proceed like normal (select recovery.tar.gz, select firmware to install) and begin the recovery process.

This should bring the switch back into a working state.

RECOVERY METHOD 2
-----------------------------------------------
We have learned more details about the failure, ultimately only 2 i2c commands are being affected - these are the commands that handle setting the voltage hibernate and voltage wake up thresholds for the PSU on smart DC switch's. This means that if the above method does not work for you (i.e. if you have trouble running the recovery software or are missing the console cable) You also have another option. Follow these steps:

NOTE: If possible, RECOVERY METHOD 1 is preferred because it does not require you to open the switch, but if necessary this will also work

1. Power off the switch, wait a minute to ensure capacitor's have discharged and disconect input power.
2. Remove the switch lid by unscrewing the case screw's located on the bottom side of the switch.
3. Unplug the i2c cable to the power supply and the switch main board (on the power supply, this cable connector is labeled HDR4 on the circuit board, it has 3 wires, yellow, red, and black)
4. Power on the switch, it should now boot normally, except of course temp readings and dcdc readings will be unavailable.
5. Upgrade to preferred version of firmware (preferably 1.5.15rc3 or 1.5.14)
6. After reboot is successful, plug i2c cable back into the switch, and close the unit.

Please let us know in this thread if you have any trouble applying these steps for recovery.

We have had several reports of bricked switch's coming in from people who downloaded firmware version 1.5.15. So far only DC units.

The cause for this is still under investigation, but in the mean time we are pulling the firmware and offering a free service to fix any affected device's.

If you have a bricked switch due to installing 1.5.15 please UPS it to us at:

Netonix
Attention Stephen
154 Earland Dr
Building 5C
New Holland,ePA 17556

And we will fix it for free and send it back to you.

You do NOT need to go through the RMA for this repair.

NOTE: This is for this issue only any switches sent to us with other issues or damage will be ignored.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

KiN

Re: If 1.5.15 bricked your switch PLEASE READ

Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:11 pm

Hello,
We have been effected by this glitch, we have one WS-12-250-DC that was bricked by this firmware yesterday.
Could you please provide us with a UPS account number? We do not believe that we should have to pay to ship this back to you.
Thank you,
Sam

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:46 pm

KiN wrote:Hello,
We have been effected by this glitch, we have one WS-12-250-DC that was bricked by this firmware yesterday.
Could you please provide us with a UPS account number? We do not believe that we should have to pay to ship this back to you.
Thank you,
Sam

Hi KIN, understood - please wait briefly before further processing - there may be a possible recovery method that does not require shipping. Will update this thread when such a method has been verified.

KiN

Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:41 pm

Hi Stephen,
Any updates for us?
Thanks

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:12 pm

KiN wrote:Hi Stephen,
Any updates for us?
Thanks

Hi KIN, yes, the recovery method has been posted in the original post, I am putting here as well.

**UPDATE**

We have discovered this failure appears to be related to i2c queries to the on board mcu for the PSU. No code modifications have occurred here for awhile but it appears that the driver in the build system has been corrupted. So only smart DC switch's will be affected.
However, this means that there is actually is a fairly reliable method for recovery.

RECOVERY METHOD 1
-------------------------------------
For recovery, you will need
- a console cable to connect to the RS232 port
- PuTTY (or your preferred console program - I prefer screen personally)
- switch recovery tool. (details here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5902)

Follow these steps:
1. Completely power off the affected unit.
2. Plugin a console cable and open PuTTY (or preferred)
3. Power on the unit IMMEDIATLEY begin pressing Ctrl+c continuously in order to prevent the os from booting.
- if successful, you will see a "RedBoot>" prompt on the console
4. Leave the switch powered on, close PuTTY (or equivalent) leave the console cable connected.
5. Run the switch recovery program, and proceed like normal (select recovery.tar.gz, select firmware to install) and begin the recovery process.

This should bring the switch back into a working state.

RECOVERY METHOD 2
-----------------------------------------------
We have learned more details about the failure, ultimately only 2 i2c commands are being affected - these are the commands that handle setting the voltage hibernate and voltage wake up thresholds for the PSU on smart DC switch's. This means that if the above method does not work for you (i.e. if you have trouble running the recovery software or are missing the console cable) You also have another option. Follow these steps:

NOTE: If possible, RECOVERY METHOD 1 is preferred because it does not require you to open the switch, but if necessary this will also work

1. Power off the switch, wait a minute to ensure capacitor's have discharged and disconect input power.
2. Remove the switch lid by unscrewing the case screw's located on the bottom side of the switch.
3. Unplug the i2c cable to the power supply and the switch main board (on the power supply, this cable connector is labeled HDR4 on the circuit board, it has 3 wires, yellow, red, and black)
4. Power on the switch, it should now boot normally, except of course temp readings and dcdc readings will be unavailable.
5. Upgrade to preferred version of firmware (preferably 1.5.15rc3 or 1.5.14)
6. After reboot is successful, plug i2c cable back into the switch, and close the unit.

Please let us know in this thread if you have any trouble applying these steps for recovery.

Baynn

Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:20 am

Can confirm Method 2 worked perfectly. Thank you for the quick resolution!

KiN

Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:23 pm

This worked like a charm, the switch is operational again after going through the first process.

While we have your attention could you please update us on RMA 20240035

Thanks,
Sam

Return to Hardware and software issues