Two WS-8-150-AC Fail After Defaulting and Applying Volts

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
SYS7EM-Daniel

Two WS-8-150-AC Fail After Defaulting and Applying Volts

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:29 pm

I have two switches that have the same behavior after factory defaulting via cli and supplying power to a device.
The first switch (EC13B2D12C58) I was unable to access the web management page, so I used a console cable to view the running config and factory default the unit. My laptop was plugged into eth8. Via the cli I issued "reload defaults" and the switch restarted. I was able to log into the web management page using the default IP, and while I had a phone plugged (Polycom SoundStation Ip 6000) into eth1, I changed PoE to 24V 0.75A while the phone was plugged into the port. I saw the port supply power, but the switch did not show a physical link to the phone. I would expect that as the phone requires 48V to boot. I was then in the process of updating the power to 48V 0.75A, but the switch's fans maxed out, and I could smell something burning. The console cable also was not responsive. I tried to reset using the reset button on the front of the unit, but the switch was nonresponsive. Thinking I had a bad switch. I moved to another WS-8-150-AC switch.
Same process. I factory defaulted the switch (EC13B2D146D0) via the cli. I then plugged my laptop into eth8. I set eth1 to 24V 0.75A before plugging in the phone. I then plugged in the phone, after I saw power supplied to the switch port. There was still not a link light. I then unplugged the phone's ethernet cable to eth1. I then set PoE on that switch port to 48V 0.75A, and after I hit save, the switch then had the same behavior. I smelt something burning. I was unable to ping the default IP, and the console port was also unresponsive. Also using the reset button on the front of the switch did not work.
To try to figure out what happened, I opened one of the switches with a colleague, and we found a component of the board was fried. See the attached image. Before I factory both switches, I did not take note of the current firmware version.
Have these symptoms or behavior been reported before?

Image -> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fbzUl ... rK5BIVENoV

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Two WS-8-150-AC Fail After Defaulting and Applying Volts

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:09 pm

SYS7EM-Daniel wrote:I have two switches that have the same behavior after factory defaulting via cli and supplying power to a device.
The first switch (EC13B2D12C58) I was unable to access the web management page, so I used a console cable to view the running config and factory default the unit. My laptop was plugged into eth8. Via the cli I issued "reload defaults" and the switch restarted. I was able to log into the web management page using the default IP, and while I had a phone plugged (Polycom SoundStation Ip 6000) into eth1, I changed PoE to 24V 0.75A while the phone was plugged into the port. I saw the port supply power, but the switch did not show a physical link to the phone. I would expect that as the phone requires 48V to boot. I was then in the process of updating the power to 48V 0.75A, but the switch's fans maxed out, and I could smell something burning. The console cable also was not responsive. I tried to reset using the reset button on the front of the unit, but the switch was nonresponsive. Thinking I had a bad switch. I moved to another WS-8-150-AC switch.
Same process. I factory defaulted the switch (EC13B2D146D0) via the cli. I then plugged my laptop into eth8. I set eth1 to 24V 0.75A before plugging in the phone. I then plugged in the phone, after I saw power supplied to the switch port. There was still not a link light. I then unplugged the phone's ethernet cable to eth1. I then set PoE on that switch port to 48V 0.75A, and after I hit save, the switch then had the same behavior. I smelt something burning. I was unable to ping the default IP, and the console port was also unresponsive. Also using the reset button on the front of the switch did not work.
To try to figure out what happened, I opened one of the switches with a colleague, and we found a component of the board was fried. See the attached image. Before I factory both switches, I did not take note of the current firmware version.
Have these symptoms or behavior been reported before?

Image -> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fbzUl ... rK5BIVENoV

WHY WOULD YOU TURN ON 24V FOR A DEVICE THAT REQUIRES 48V.
WHAT LOGIC WERE YOU USING AND WHY WOULD YOU REPEAT THE SAME MIS-STEPS???

My guess is you damaged both switches. You can RMA them for repair but this type of damage is not covered under warranty.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:12 pm

I can tell you that what is burned out there in your picture is the ESD protection DIODE and if we flip over the Ethernet Transformer it will be fried too.

You drew too much current and the Ethernet Transformer fried in such a manor as to create a conductive path across the magnetic coupling zone of the Transformer allowing POE current to enter the ESD protection DIODE frying that then into the PHY of the SOC frying the SOC which means the board is DEAD.

Again WHY would you apply 24V to a known 48V device?

But another cause of this same type of damage would be a shorted cable.

Cost of NEW board under RMA is $100.00 each
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:14 pm

SYS7EM-Daniel wrote:Have these symptoms or behavior been reported before?

Umm yea, any time the wrong POE option is applied and or a shorted cable will cause this, this is not a software bug or a design flaw but user error.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:20 pm

Both units are way out of warranty (but would not be covered under warranty anyway) but you can RMA them both for repair and get them fixed for $100 to $125 each.

With shipping both ways still a little cheaper than buying new units.

MAC: EC13B2D12C58
Date of MFG: 11/10/2016

MAC: EC13B2D146D0
Date of MFG: 03/25/2017

SYS7EM-Daniel

Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:47 am

We would like to move forward with the RMA process. What would be my next step?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:11 pm

SYS7EM-Daniel wrote:We would like to move forward with the RMA process. What would be my next step?

There is a link on our web site in the footer for RMA instructions.

SYS7EM-Daniel

Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:58 am

I'm trying to order the repair service packages. After I create my account, I have to confirm my account, but I never get the confirmation email. I checked our SPAM filter, and I do not see the confirmation message. Can you verify my account so I can order the support packages?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:33 pm

SYS7EM-Daniel wrote:I'm trying to order the repair service packages. After I create my account, I have to confirm my account, but I never get the confirmation email. I checked our SPAM filter, and I do not see the confirmation message. Can you verify my account so I can order the support packages?

I verified your account but you need to find out why your not getting emails from the site. It is not on our end as other people have created and verified accounts today and just about every day.

SYS7EM-Daniel

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:56 pm

What is the email address I should be looking for because I don't see anything from \*@ \*netonix.com? Also, I ordered the support plans on ORDER #145007456.

Next
Return to Hardware and software issues