v 1.5.1 Bug reports and Comments

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
Stephen
Employee
Employee

Re: v 1.5.1 Bug reports and Comments

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:36 am

webformix wrote:OK, we have upgraded a bunch of Netonix Wispswitches last night.

We have been seeing what was once a rather subtle bug on previous fw (1.4.9 and/or 1.5.0, hard to tell) and barely had enough data about it to confirm it was not just coincidences. But since upgrade, we have caught same bug rather not-subtly twice in a day on 1.5.1. Hardware bug has presented on includes a WS-24-400A and a WS-12-400-AC as of today's testing.

Bug presents as follows: Wispswitch configured with some vlans (never more than 4 as it happens in our case, and seen with as few as management vlan + one more). Layer 3 traffic to one or more IP addresses on a single vlan that is not the management vlan (so far we've only caught this on one or more access ports at a time, that is to say vlan is set to "U" for this port) stops flowing. Some layer 2 traffic must be passing because the mac address table on the wisp switch (and on the router behind it) will rebuild for the problem IPs after you flush them. Needless to say, flushing mac cache does not make bug go away.

Problem start for IPs reachable through a given port appears to coincide with when that port hiccups, flaps, or renegotiates a different speed, per our device and SNMP logs.

"Some" IPs on a given vlan become unreachable, but not usually all. Affected IPs may be in any subnet, and other IPs in same subnet/vlan combo may continue to work just fine. In one instance this was on an AP and we had not diagnosed the problem as originating with the Wispswitch yet, so we tried rebooting the AP. The first time, only one client was affected but when AP came back online all clients were affected, while AP management interface was still reachable. After second reboot, even AP management interface stopped being reachable.

Bear in mind "reachable" is as measured from router behind any of these Wispswitches, or as measured from Wispswitch's management IP on a different vlan and a different subnet from the affected targets, so its traffic would have to leave the switch to the router and loop back.. making it no closer to the asset than the router itself.

So, our next diagnostic step is often to try creating a new IP in the same subnet as one of the troubled IPs, and applying that to the Wispswitch as an extra IP for that specific vlan. The thought is "if Wispswitch can ping asset while things behind it in same subnet/vlan cannot, perhaps our vlan forwarding settings are incorrect on either the switch or the router".

But, the instant the IP address gets added to the vlan (and then save/apply) where bug is being presented, bug instantly disappears and all affected clients can pass traffic once more.

Bear in mind that other settings that we save/apply do not appear to affect the bug at all.

Once bug is gone, new IP can be cleared out from Wispswitch's vlan with no further harm.

Please let us know if there is any kind of support dump we can download from the hardware during the bug's presentation, or if you have any other suggestions for us?

Thank you.

- - Jesse Thompson
Webformix, Bend OR

Next time you see the bug. See if you can get the logs from the switch that the bug is presenting itself on.

Also, take a look at the Port Detail page on ports that seem relevant to the situation. Look for error's, collisions, drops, etc and also see if you can get a screenshot of a couple if you can find any correlations with this issue.

Is flow control enabled on any of these switches? That mechanism has been known to cause odd behavior - switch it off if applicable.

Is it possible you could get a packet capture of the traffic that make's it through when this issue presents itself? Getting more details on the specific traffic that makes it across might help isolate what's happening.

Since VLANs seem to be involved, maybe MTU should be checked?

KBrownConsulting

Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:16 am

@Stephen, When I got home & looked at the switch the problem became clear... I'm embarrassed to confess that when the switch was relocated earlier this week, apparently it got set on its head... which naturally resulted in the cables being plugged into the wrong ports. (I did mention this is my test bench switch right?!) :ak:

Sorry for the false alarm! I promise to wait until I can investigate further before reporting bugs in the future! :roll:

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:13 am

KBrownConsulting wrote:@Stephen, When I got home & looked at the switch the problem became clear... I'm embarrassed to confess that when the switch was relocated earlier this week, apparently it got set on its head... which naturally resulted in the cables being plugged into the wrong ports. (I did mention this is my test bench switch right?!) :ak:

Sorry for the false alarm! I promise to wait until I can investigate further before reporting bugs in the future! :roll:

Glad you figured it out, sadly I missed my chance for a joke/jab.

I had read your post on my phone when I was busy and had wanted to put up a post asking if you could share whatever it was you were smoking but sadly I forgot. :rofl4:

ANOTHER MISSED OPPORTUNITY IN LIFE :headb:
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

KBrownConsulting

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:41 am

:agree: :oops: :lol:

garrison

Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:06 pm

Unable to update a WS-8-250-AC running 1.5.0, Board Rev D. This is as far as it gets:

Code: Select all
 Do not turn off power while upgrade is in progress!
Uploading firmware file ...
Unpacking firmware ...
Error unpacking firmware file /tmp/upgrade.bin

Have to reboot it after that to try again (the file will not show up when you go back to upgrade to pick it and try again). Second time same failure.

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:52 pm

The bin file must have been corrupted when you downloaded it.
Try re-downloading it from the forum's and try again.
(Just did it myself to be sure the file itself didn't get corrupted)

garrison

Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:42 pm

Stephen, thank you for the advice. I did that and the third download of it (different computer) worked and we're all up and running 1.5.1 now.

IntL-Daniel
Experienced Member

Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:46 am

There is still old copyright in fw 1.5.1 Copyright 2014-2018 Netonix.

coreinput

Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:07 am

Upgraded from 1.5.0 running since June 2018 and everything went smooth (and no POE loss).
Hats off to the team including beta testers for making this a good release.
Thanks!

Wifimax

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:35 pm

Upgraded to 1.5.1 and there is nowhere to configure a syslog server anymore, am I blind?

Edit: nevermind, incognito mode saved the day... chrome issue!

PreviousNext
Return to Hardware and software issues