WS-6-MINI Flapping

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
brock

WS-6-MINI Flapping

Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:35 pm

We have a site with an AirFiber (or Netonix-sold) 48V injector supplying a WS-6-MINI via PoE. This site has been solid for months and we have several sites like this.

This morning the switch became unresponsive. Logs from the connected router showed the port flapping. When I reached the site, I found the switch activity lights blinking slowly off and on, maybe once per second or so. The connected radios were still powered. There did not appear to be any visible damage to the cable or the device. Power cycling the switch resolved the issue, though I swapped in a replacement just in case.

Has anyone seen this before? Should we do the capacitor test on the pulled switch?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: WS-6-MINI Flapping

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:27 am

Sure set it up in LAB and test it.

Just have all 6 ports linked and let run.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

billyV

Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:53 pm

We have experienced similar (if not the same issue), at 2 sites now.

At both sites, we are supplying a new WS-6-MINI (Upper Switch) via PoE fed from a WS-12-250-DC 48VH (Lower Switch). The Upper switch is powering (3) ePMP2000 AP's at each site. The problem surfaced within a few days of upgrading the sites to this new configurations. All switches are running firmware 1.5.0 and we tried 1.5.1.rc7 without change.

Logs from the WS-12-250-DC showed the port flapping, with intermittent periods of down time. When performing multiple cable diagnostics from the lower switch port, while the the link was down, the results varied each time, changing indication of which pairs were good and bad, as well as erratic cable length indications. Bouncing the port from the lower switch resolves the Ethernet connection issue, and any indicated faults on the cable diagnostics. The problem then came back. Onsite, we validated cables Gig E, and replaced the connectors for good measure. The problem came back again, and we temp used another cable on the tower powering AF5XHD with solid Gig E, then 10 minutes later, down. Next we replaced the WS-12-250-DC (other ports were blown from previous storm), but the problem returned. The issue was resolved (at least it hasn't returned for a month now) by replacing the WS-6-Mini with another new one.

Last week, we upgraded another tower to this same configuration, and here we go again. Same erratic stability, same indications. We have a climber in route now to replace the upper switch.

The problems switches above, were both received in the same shipment. Something with the batch perhaps? We have another site with the identical configuration, that has been in service over 9 months now, without issue.

Did we overlook something? Any magic to recommend?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:19 pm

billyV wrote:Next we replaced the WS-12-250-DC (other ports were blown from previous storm), but the problem returned.

The part in Red above from your post concerns me.

If you have ports getting "blown" I would say your grounding has issues.

I would make sure your tower ground rods are BONDED to your electrical service ground rods and add 2 NEW electrical service ground rods.

Ports get blown from 2 things mostly:
#1 cause GROUND CURRENT
#2 cause shorted cables or overcurrent like trying to power an AF24 with 48V instead of 48VH
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to Hardware and software issues