Networking Netonix Switches

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
jssllc2014@gmail.com

Networking Netonix Switches

Fri May 18, 2018 6:04 pm

Trouble with Networking 6 Port Mini and 12 Port AC switch.
I was networking 3 locations at a farm for security cameras. I was keeping the camera network separate from the internet network. The NVR has 16 ports PoE for cameras & 1 port for internet network for viewing remotely. The NVR had PoE which I ran a network cable to a second office connecting to the 6 Port mini # 1 port. The Mini did not power on when plugged into using the NVR PoE port. I installed the Netonix power adapter and power up the switch. I programmed the switch POE ports 3 thru 6 for 48V for the cameras. Number 2 port with no PoE was the link to the 3rd office to #1 port Netonix 12 port switch. I logged into the 12 port switch and turned on the PoE for #2 port and it fried the Mini. What is going on?
Thanks Jeff
JS Solutions LLC

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Networking Netonix Switches

Fri May 18, 2018 6:11 pm

Look at the picture of options on how to power a WS-6-MINI on the web site under more pictures

https://www.netonix.com/wisp-switch/ws-6-mini.html

Only Port 1 of the WS-6-MINI can accept POE (IN) to power the switch, must power with either our POE adapter or 48VH POE option from another switch
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

jssllc2014@gmail.com

Sat May 19, 2018 3:56 pm

Can you explain why your switch did not power up when PoE was applied to the # 1 port an when power was supplied to another switch on a port that had nothing to do with the mini to power up a camera? I think you would be interested in finding the problem and not tell me what I did wrong.

jakematic
Experienced Member

Sun May 20, 2018 8:23 am

The WS-6-Mini requires 48VH, which I doubt the NVR POE was able to supply.

Also note that you must not use the external power supply with barrel connector and POE at the same time on the WS-6-Mini.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun May 20, 2018 11:43 am

jssllc2014@gmail.com wrote:The NVR had PoE which I ran a network cable to a second office connecting to the 6 Port mini # 1 port. The Mini did not power on when plugged into using the NVR PoE port.

As Jake said, the PoE in requirement for the MINI is 4 pair power and the NVR PoE out was not likely that.

jssllc2014@gmail.com wrote:Number 2 port with no PoE was the link to the 3rd office to #1 port Netonix 12 port switch. I logged into the 12 port switch and turned on the PoE for #2 port and it fried the Mini.

SOmething here does not make sense. Explain how port 2 on the 12 port Netonix is related to the MINI or was that a typo and you did not turn on PoE on port 2 of the 12 port? If you sent PoE in to the MINI's port 2, that is not supported.

If in fact it was port 2 of the MINI that you turned on PoE for, older models were limited to 4 pair PoE that is not compatible with some kit meant for 2 pair power.

jssllc2014@gmail.com

Sun May 20, 2018 5:28 pm

This is my question too! The way I explained it above is the mini was programmed for no PoE on port 2 on the mini, Port 2 on the mini then when to a netonix 12 Port AC to port 1, No PoE was programmed on Port 1 of the 12 Port. So the link from Mini to 12 port was Port 2 to Port 1 (No PoE on either). From the main office, computer was plugged into the switch (which has 802.3af & 803.3at). I logged into the 12 port switch and turned on PoE for Port 2 which has a camera attached. This is when the mini went down. Jeff

jakematic
Experienced Member

Mon May 21, 2018 1:08 pm

If the Mini was powered on and cabled to the WS-12, there should have been a link on that port.

The interface will not let you turn on PoE to a port that has a link - so that sort of precludes "operator error" unless cables were hot-plugged.
I've burnt up a couple switches myself by powering on a switch with a cable that shouldn't receive POE in the wrong port :headb:

You mention multiple office locations - are these all on the same electrical sub-panel ? Using ethernet cable with a drain wire and metal connectors if going out of doors ?
Grasping at straws here but ground loop issues are the only thing I can think of. Something backfed power to the Mini...

Return to Hardware and software issues