Switch hung after tagging a port in vlan

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
RebusCom
Experienced Member

Re: Switch hung after tagging a port in vlan

Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:50 pm

The reset to factory defaults via the long press during powerup did restore the ability to boot up. However, my concern is with recurrence. I don't suppose there is a way to perform a memory stress test.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:00 pm

RebusCom wrote:The reset to factory defaults via the long press during powerup did restore the ability to boot up. However, my concern is with recurrence. I don't suppose there is a way to perform a memory stress test.

You are making the assumption this has something to do with flash being corrupted.

Did you hook up a console cable BEFORE you factory defaulted it and look around?

Making changes to VLANs can cause the behavior you describe if there is a slight misconfiguration.

Or possibly the VLAN change you made is a bug, the only way to know this would be to LAB it.

To LAB it would require you to post up all the config TABs as it was before you made the change then show what changes you commited.

Also there were some changes to VLANs I "think" in v1.4.8rcX so if you were running anything older than the latest code then we do not know if the problem still persists.

Since the DEFAULT worked I highly doubt the flash was corrupted, a corrupted flash would not fully boot and would usually require at minimum a serial console firmware recovery or even a complete reflash with our specialized equipment.

So as I said I wish you would have used a serial console cable before defaulting and exported the config.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Julian

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:44 am

Without access to your configuration and more information on your setup in general, a determination as to possibility of recurrence is difficult to make. Out of the 40 or so thousand switches we have out in the field right now, I have only run into this a handful of times.

What I can tell you, that may make you feel a little better, is that I haven't heard of this happening multiple times to a specific device except in one case, which we determined was a grounding issue after some troubleshooting.

Chris can tell you all about grounding: there's a stickied post around here somewhere with a pretty good rundown.

I also like to recommend that people read the Motorola R56 manual, which is available via a google search - it's basically the same information that Chris gives, with an exhaustive level of detail that you may or may not want or need.

Previous
Return to Hardware and software issues