IGMP Snooping Not Working [WS-6-MINI]

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
uberdome
Experienced Member

Re: IGMP Snooping Not Working [WS-6-MINI 1.4.7]

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:24 pm

Eric Stern wrote:Unchecking the multicast checkbox will not allow multicast packets on that port.

Thank you.

Eric Stern wrote:Is the multicasting happening on a VLAN?

Everything I am doing currently is all untagged (no VLAN). I will test with an internal VLAN on the Netonix, and I will see if I can run tagged outside the system.

uberdome
Experienced Member

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:05 pm

Ok, I've been working with this for a while. Now I've seen it work, but there are issues.

I'm starting to somewhere with the troubleshooting, but this is taking a while.

I put ports 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6 on a VLAN (10). IGMP snooping worked! This was not consistent, however.
Netonix_Multicast_1.png
VLAN Test 1

Problem 1:
Periodically, multicast traffic would stop entirely (as if the join messages were not getting through to the source). If I disable IGMP snooping, all multicast traffic starts again (broadcasting as expected to all ports). Re-enabling it stops it entirely. A reboot fixes this problem.

Problem 2:
Periodically, IGMP snooping appears to stop working and multicast traffic starts broadcasting to all ports. I don't have a consistent fix for this, but it appears to be resolved by a reboot.

What sort of information can I provide to help with troubleshooting / bug fixing?

Eric Stern
Employee
Employee

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:13 pm

I guess if you can describe your test setup in detail I can try to duplicate it in my lab.

uberdome
Experienced Member

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:48 am

Eric Stern wrote:I guess if you can describe your test setup in detail I can try to duplicate it in my lab.

The existing configuration is described in this thread. I will create a repeatable test-setup and share it here so we can be working on the same issue.

6gnet

Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:14 pm

For us the only way to get multicast to be consistent was to disable IGMP snooping all together, we could never get it to work right, same symptoms as you described...

-G

uberdome
Experienced Member

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:35 pm

I am testing the new firmware, and I still have significant issues with multicast on 1.4.8rc10. Are there any new settings to look for? I have IGMP Snooping enabled and the IGMP Querier enabled for the VLAN running multicast.

Eric Stern
Employee
Employee

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:51 pm

uberdome wrote:Are there any new settings to look for?

No.
If you can describe your test setup and how to reproduce the problem I can look into it further.

uberdome
Experienced Member

Re: IGMP Snooping Not Working [WS-6-MINI 1.4.8rc10]

Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:02 pm

Ok, I've finally had a chance to test this more in-depth.

Everything seems to work fine when the source is on the same broadcast domain. When the source comes from a router running IGMP proxy, however, IGMP snooping breaks.

For the purposes of this test, I'm streaming a video using VLC. The generated output string is:
Code: Select all
 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=1024,scale=Auto,acodec=mpga,ab=128,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:rtp{dst=239.255.0.1,port=5004,mux=ts,ttl=10} :sout-all :sout-keep

I am using VLC as the viewers as well using this URL:
Code: Select all
 rtp://@239.255.0.1:5004

I have defaulted the Netonix and it is running 1.4.8rc10. I have created one VLAN for the test that is separate from the Management VLAN. It is shown in the attachment.

I am using 4 ports: one for the upstream connection, one for management, one for the stream test, one actively connected to a stand-alone switch.

The basic configuration is as follows: Multicast Source <--> IGMP Proxy Router <--> Netonix <--> Multicast Client

Everything works with IGMP Snooping disabled, but multicast is broadcast. Turn on IGMP Snooping (but disable all the IGMP Querier options), and it still works, but multicast is broadcast. As soon as I enable the querier on the multicast VLAN, traffic stops. A multicast querier should not be necessary unless the network is lacking one already. I suspect having multiple queriers is causing trouble.

Please let me know what other help / information you may need to get this tested and resolved.

Thank you, Chris
Attachments
Netonix_Multicast_4.png
Netonix_Multicast_3.png

Eric Stern
Employee
Employee

Re: IGMP Snooping Not Working [WS-6-MINI]

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:20 pm

You can try 1.4.8rc11. I enabled IGMP proxy. It seems to work better in my lab.

I also added the "show igmp" CLI command, which might give you some useful information.

uberdome
Experienced Member

Re: IGMP Snooping Not Working [WS-6-MINI]

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:56 pm

I will run some tests. IGMP proxy is usually done on a router rather than on a switch, but I will definitely try it.

Thank you, Chris

PreviousNext
Return to Hardware and software issues