Need help with QinQ

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
Eric Stern
Employee
Employee

Re: Need help with QinQ

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:09 pm

brianblac wrote:I made a development here, for some reason if I move the QnQ vlan up the list directly underneath the management vlan it all works.

If I have the QnQ vlan third in the list I lose connectivity to the device.

Are you sure it all works? Based on my investigation if the VLAN with the Q (or D) is not at the bottom of the list then the switch does not actually get configured for QinQ (software bug, which I have fixed). So by moving it up I can understand why VLAN 77 and 79 start working, but 504 should not work, at least not as QinQ (I would expect packets to go out single tagged).

Currently if you use Q (or D) on a port then the switch will use it for ALL VLANs on the associated T ports. This is why 77 and 79 stop working when you have 504 at the bottom of the list, ports 5 and 6 become configured for QinQ and all packets go out that way, which the other end is obviously not expecting.

I don't see any technical reason why you could not mix U, T, Q and D packets on the same T port, but currently this is a limitation of our switch core. I am currently looking into a way to work around this limitation, but it may not be possible.

brianblac

Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:17 pm

Yeah, its working, I have it in service now doing one side of the QnQ for a customer circuit. This switch is running 1.4.6

Here is the screenshot again of my config. If I have the QnQ VLAN 3rd in the list I lose communication, 2nd in the list everything works as planned.

Also, I tested this QnQ with Cisco, MRV, and HP.

Eric Stern
Employee
Employee

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:00 pm

Hmm, interesting. Thanks, I'll do some more testing.

brianblac

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:10 pm

If you have a test release of firmware I can help you guinea pig and run a test with it connected to Cisco, MRV, and HP.

I have a WS-10-250 on my desk here that isn't needed atm.

Thanks for the responses.

Eric Stern
Employee
Employee

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:32 pm

QinQ and Double Tagging should be fixed in 1.4.7rc9, which should be available soon.

Additionally, you should now be able to do a setup like this:

Capture.PNG

In this example port 1 is the upstream connection, either directly to another switch or via a radio or something.

You can access the management interface of the switch using untagged frames on port 1.

Any devices connected to ports 2 or 3 will also send frames upstream untagged.

The device on port 4 must send tagged frames for VLAN 29, and those frames will be sent upstream unchanged.

The device on port 5 must send tagged frames for any VLAN, and those frames will be sent upstream after adding a second VLAN tag (VID 55, TPID 0x8100).

The device on port 6 must send tagged frames for any VLAN, and those frames will be sent upstream after adding a second VLAN tag (VID 66, TPID 0x88a8).

You should be able to add any combination of U,T,D,Q ports all with a T on port 1 and it should work as expected.

troy

Fri May 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Well, I'm back at it and managed to get it partially working, but not completely.

Now, how the heck do I double-tag VLAN 4? My options for VLAN 504 on port 3 are only 'E' and 'T'.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri May 19, 2017 2:36 pm

What version firmware are you running now?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

troy

Mon May 22, 2017 3:02 pm

Good question! It's a WS-8-DC-150, Revision F, running 1.4.7.

troy

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:42 pm

I gave up on this at the time, but this year, giving up was not an option. After reading another thread, I came up with this solution...

Port 8 = U VLAN 6
Port 9 = T VLAN 6
Port 10 = D VLAN 501

Physically connect ports 9 and 10 with a patch cable. Burning 3 ports to connect a single device. I'm loving it!

Screenshot 2020-11-17 223147.png

Previous
Return to Hardware and software issues