Ping Watchdog not working

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
dcshobby

Ping Watchdog not working

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:17 pm

We're on the latest RC18 version and Ping watchdown is not working for us.

We have it setup with 60 second startup, 60 second ping interval, and 5 failures before it bounces the port.

We set it to ping our router on the other side of a backhaul link on our tower.

The problem we're seeing is our Powerbeam M5 is losing it's ethernet data link where it shows "unplugged" on the Ubiquiti feedhorn but it is still getting power from the WS-6-MINI. We cannot ping the Netonix or access it from our network when this happens. We are there today working on reterminating connectors trying to fix the issue.

The fix to get it working over the weekend before we could fix was to reboot the Netonix switch. It would then work properly for 15 minutes to 11 hours or anywhere inbetween. The ethernet link would come up at 1,000 Mbps and stay but then drop randomly and stay down until another powercycle.

We setup the ping watchdog anyway when we could get access to the switch but when the ethernet link dies, the Netonix should see that it can't ping the IP we set it to ping to after 5 minutes and powercycle the port with our Powerbeam. The problem is it never does this even after we leave it sit for 30 minutes or more.

What are we missing here? Also, any advice besides replace cable and terminations on this feedhorn? This is a brand new setup as of 2 weeks ago and only started acting up 3 days ago.

Thanks
Last edited by dcshobby on Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julian

Re: Ping Watchdog not working

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:40 am

Eric is working on some ping watchdog stuff for next rc, I know that much.

It sounds almost like the switch is undergoing a soft reboot; will lab this today and see if I can duplicate.. I'm not currently aware of any hardware failure modes causing soft reboots, so I suppose this is where we start. Can you post a capture of your status, ports, and device status tabs?

If the switch happens to do this again while you're out there and you can still get to the GUI: switch to another port, and see if everything comes back up after the radio reboots. if you can't get to the GUI, that tells us something completely different, so please be as accurate as possible when letting us know how this goes.

Thanks,

Julian

dcshobby

Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:14 pm

Here is an update.

We replaced everything besides the switch to try to rule everything else out. New cables, new RJ45, new UBNT feedhorn, new POE injector, etc. The ethernet data link continued to drop and show unplugged on our radio that we could access over the wireless link. Rebooting the feedhorn would not restore the ethernet link.

Only power cycling the entire Netonix mini 6 would restore ethernet access for time ranging from an hour to 2-3 days before data dropped again. When I view the logs on the feedhorn as shown in my attachment, you can see the ethernet port cycles to 1000 Mbps then drops 2 seconds later. It will do this but never fully restore without a Netonix reboot.

It happened again today and since the switch was the only thing not replaced yet with another one, I went to swap the switch. When I got there, I watched the LED indicators on the ports and the power lights were solid on as usual on ports 4 and 6. We had ports 1, 4, and 6 populated and on so there should have been an ethernet LED on for all 3 ports. There was no light but I did see them turn on for 1-2 seconds then turn off. This happened every 30-60 seconds and I recorded video on my phone.

So what would cause the ethernet links on those 3 ports to all turn off and then cycle on for 1-2 seconds but never restore until a power reboot?

I'm very confused. I'll attach a screenshot from the feedhorn that I could access wirelessly. During this time when ethernet was down, I cannot ping the switch or login at all so I can't provide logs since ethernet doesn't work on any port.

dcshobby

Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:15 pm

Here's the screenshots showing no LAN link and then the log showing the interface going up and down. The feedhorn is brand new as of yesterday and replaced a 3 week old feedhorn.
Attachments
salemcorners2.PNG

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:46 pm

How are you powering the WS-6-MINI?

When you power cycle the WS-6-MINI all is fine?

Do you have a WS-6-MINI to swap out?

If you swap out and problem goes away (with identical config) then I would lean towards the MINI being the issue.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

dcshobby

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:14 pm

We're powering with the 50V airfiber POE that you recommend using and going to Port 1 on Netonix.

When we power cycle WS-6-MINI, ethernet on all ports will work fine from 1 hours to sometimes 2-3 days. Then the ethernet data link only (Not POE) drops and cycles as shown in the screenshot. When I was onsite today, I saw the behavior on all 3 port that we were plugged into so it's not just the port with the powerbeam radio.

I did swap the mini with another one today so we'll see if that fixes it or not over the next week.

Config is identical on both and very basic. No VLAN's or anything fancy.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:47 pm

Please post up screen grabs of the following TABs

Status
Ports
Watchdog
Device/Status
Device/Config (may take several picture to get whole TAB)
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

dcshobby

Wed May 17, 2017 10:20 am

Update,

The switch kept going down so we configured a new switch the same way with same firmware, settings, etc. Swapped it just under 3 weeks ago and the switch has not dropped its ethernet links at all. It's been 100% rock solid.

So I'll take the screenshots from both the problem switch and the new one, and send it to your support email so we can work on an RMA.

Thanks

Return to Hardware and software issues