Copper SFP's

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
adairw
Associate
Associate

Re: Copper SFP's

Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:44 pm

Rory wrote:adairw, could you post up your current port config and vlan config? Also, whatever snippit of config is appropriate for the device this wisp switch is pluggeg in to? Obviously no real IP addresses or whatnot.

I will review the config / mock it up in my lab and see what I can determine. As always, I am open to the possibility of bugs but we need to be able to reproduce them to fix them.

Thanks, and I will do my best to get to the bottom of this today.

Sure I can do that. This works with ports 1-12, just not the SFP port.
Give me a bit to get everything together.

adairw
Associate
Associate

Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:16 pm

Here is a public link to the full WS config

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/165 ... witch.ncfg

here is the code from the tik on the vlan config.
Code: Select all
/interface vlan
add interface=ether8 l2mtu=1586 name=vlan-2-AF5-Maalt vlan-id=2
add interface=ether8 l2mtu=1586 name=vlan-3-Ch10-5G vlan-id=3
add address=10.172.16.57/29 comment="Channel 10" interface=vlan-3-Ch10-5G \
 network=10.172.16.56
add address=10.172.16.217/29 comment="AF5 to Maalt" interface=\
 vlan-2-AF5-Maalt network=10.172.16.216

Also including a picture of the tik for reference.
Attachments
tik to ws config.PNG
tik to ws config.PNG (31.59 KiB) Viewed 5827 times

Rory

Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:48 pm

I haven't had the time to digest everything fully yet, but it looks like you are setting the MTU on the tik side to 1500 and the wispswitch to 1560. Lets try bringing both of those to be the same value. Now, I'm not seeing the interface mtu on the tik side, just the vlan mtu, so I may be in left field, but afaik the mtu (actually ethernet frame size, I hate how those terms get used interchangeably) for dot1q trunks is 1522. Lets make sure the interface on the 'tik side has its mtu set to at least that.

I will review / mock up later today and get back to you.

Rory

Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:41 pm

Ok, I've dug into this a bit farther. Are you trying to establish a dot1q trunk between the mikrotik and the WS? If so, can I see a little more config on the 'tik? Please feel free to PM or email me if you don't want to make that config public.

There are a couple specifics that may need to be adjusted on either side depending on how you are trying to set up this connection between the switch and the router. Out of curiousity, do you have some config from a switch that did work in this position?

Thanks,

adairw
Associate
Associate

Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:02 pm

Rory,
The MTU that matters on the mikrotik is the L2MTU and if you look at the screen shot I sent over it's set for 1586 on both the vlan and the physical interface. I'm pretty familiar with VLAN's in tik and use them all the time and have no issues passing full 1500 byte frames with my setup, so I don't feel like it's an MTU problem. Again, If I plug the tik in to another tik OR a HP Procurve switch, the vlan's function just fine. It even works with the WS as long as it's not on a SFP port.
I kind of hate monkeying around with the tik config at this point.

OK, I just did some testing. Because of the other post where I brought up the issue about the poe ports being on after a default, I was doing some testing to see what I would have to do to get the ports to shut off. Because at this point I had not turned any ports back on in the GUI. Unplugging the ethernet cable to the ports and plugging them back it would still power the device up. (again, even tho the gui and the port led showed it was off. I realize there is a fix coming for this, just my observations)

SO, I pulled the power cord on the switch. When it booted back up, like expected, no ports were on. AAANNNDDD... after I turned on the ports I wanted, I thought, let me swap SFP's and see if these tagged VLAN's have something to do with the particular SFP or not..... swapped them.....now tagged vlans worked..... so I swapped them back, and it still works...... I think the hard power cycle has something to do with this here.... I have only ever done software reboots manually or during software upgrades since I've owned the switch.
Does that make any sense?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:31 pm

We fixed the POE issue as I explained in an earlier post. We normally leave the POE ports on when doing a software reboot so radios do not have to also power cycle bringing the tower up faster. With the latest patch we make sure to turn POE OFF when preforming a factory default.

Also if you have not re-configured the ports or power cycled since firmware v1.0.4 then the MTU would never have been set to the SFP module. There was a fix in v1.0.4 that corrected the SFP MTU.

Unplugging the SFP and plugging it back in will cause the switch to set the SFP MTU.

Well glad we figured that out.

Then if you are now running v1.0.6rc3 you should be good.

Please let us know if you find another bug.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

adairw
Associate
Associate

Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:46 pm

I had plugged and unplugged the sfp's many times over the few days, it wasn't until the hard reboot they started working.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:50 pm

I will ask the programmer maybe a power cycle or maybe a re-config of the MTU would have been required since v1.0.4

But still glad it work for you now wither way! :hurray:

GEER we need to stick with one thread - LOL
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

adairw
Associate
Associate

Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:13 am

Today I had something weird happen... I was out working on a tower and got email stating that all the data center cameras where offline as reported by the NVR. These cameras and one AF5 are the only thing running on my WS at the moment. (still in test mode)
I am using a copper sfp in port 14 to make the uplink from the WS to my main core switch where the NVR is.

When I got to the office, I found the link light on the sfp and the core switch off. no traffic passing. The second spf in port 13 was still working.

I unplugged the sfp in port 14 and snapped it back in and the port linked up and has been passing traffic ever since...
I didn't have time to log in and see what was going on. Now that I am back home I can't log in because I forgot to reset the management IP after the last default I preformed... (oops) I'll either jump on some machine in the DC and try to get over to it at layer 2 or mess around with it on Monday.

Very odd problem.. I hope it's the SFP and not something with the switch. Either way is there anything specific I can look for? If it happens again, before I pull the SFP I'll log in from another port and see if the port details page shows any thing.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:41 am

I would "replace" that SFP module.

PreviousNext
Return to Hardware and software issues