Copper SFP's

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
adairw
Associate
Associate

Re: Copper SFP's

Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:49 am

Probably not a bad idea. I'll have to look, but I think that was the cheaper one. gonna wait and see if it does it again. will dig and see if I can find any errors on either side of the link also. I'm stubborn, I want to know what's up.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:56 am

If it is not an uber critical link, you could swap the two SFPs around and see if the problem moves to the other port. As frugal as I am, I hate to toss stuff without being able to repro and eliminate causes.

adairw
Associate
Associate

Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:36 am

It was the SFP that was bad. I swapped the sfp's and it failed in the other port.
I have a few other copper sfp's on order now.

Brough

Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:42 pm

It would be useful to have one page that summarizes which SFP modules work and which don't. I did a search and came up with two threads but each thread has many pages:
http://forum.netonix.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=293
http://forum.netonix.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=302

Is there a simple up-to-date summary somewhere?

More specifically, I'm having problems with copper SFPs. Last year I bought a batch from fs.com (SFP-1GTA-1M) which did not work.

Then I bought a batch from Baltic Networks (MAXX MW-UTP-G-US) which appeared to work and, for some months now, we've been deploying them wherever we ran out of ports on one of our WS-12-250-AC switches. This worked for some months but two days ago we started getting severe packet loss (10%-20%) at one site. This was traced to a MAXX copper SFP and was fixed by swapping the high traffic ports from copper SFPs (ports 13 & 14) to physical switch ports 11 & 12, installing new copper SFPs in 13 & 14 and connecting the lowest traffic (management only) links to the SFPs.

I have four sites where we have added copper SFPs. If there is a copper SFP that's known to work, I'd like to upgrade these four sites.
PS: If it matters, all four sites are running 1.3.9 firmware.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:23 pm

Well I would upgrade to the firmware, your only about 13 months out of date. - v1.3.9 - Released 1/30/2016

As far as SFP modules I have simply went to NewEgg and purchased cheap Cisco Compatible SFPs and have yet to have one not work.

I had come across one that when you rebooted the switch the SFP stop working unless you pulled and reinserted it but that is the only problem I have had.

There are literally hundreds if not thousands of SFP brands out there so testing them all is not an option.

If they say Cisco Compatible they should work fine, especially if you using up to date firmware from us.

I do know that many SFP modules such as MikroTik had issues but Eric fixed the firmware to work with them but since you run 1+ year old firmware you do not have those fixes.

I strongly suggest you upgrade your firmware, we are on version 1.4.7rc9

Read the release notes on things added for SFP modules like being able to select AUTO or 1G which may help clear up your packet loss.

Remember if you set 1 side Speed/Duplex to AUTO or 1G then the other device on the other end of the cable should match
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

angelinawt

Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:31 pm

If the copper SFP is the issue here, maybe next time you should purchase some high-quality SFPs to avoid all your troubles.

Brough

Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:39 pm

As of this morning I have a second site with similar copper SFP problems. An upgrade to firmware hasn't fixed the problem, so a tech is going there to add a 6-port switch (daisy-chained off a high power port). This will give us the needed extra ports w/o copper SFPs. As we only have copper SFPsat five sites (out of >60), I'll plan on similar upgrades and just ignore the copper SFP issue.

Do you have one place where I can see the various fixes and enhancements for each of the releases? Simple searching suggests the info is scattered and I don't have time to dig it out.

In any event, as I've commented before, we don't upgrade to newer releases unless they provide specific fixes or new features that we need. Our application is simple (VLANs and centralized control of power to radios and other PoE devices) and the Netonix switches have been very reliable, so firmware 1.3.9 is just fine thank you.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:45 pm

Brough wrote:Do you have one place where I can see the various fixes and enhancements for each of the releases? Simple searching suggests the info is scattered and I don't have time to dig it out...
All in one thread:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=240

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:16 pm

Brough wrote:As of this morning I have a second site with similar copper SFP problems. An upgrade to firmware hasn't fixed the problem, so a tech is going there to add a 6-port switch (daisy-chained off a high power port). This will give us the needed extra ports w/o copper SFPs. As we only have copper SFPsat five sites (out of >60), I'll plan on similar upgrades and just ignore the copper SFP issue.

Do you have one place where I can see the various fixes and enhancements for each of the releases? Simple searching suggests the info is scattered and I don't have time to dig it out.

In any event, as I've commented before, we don't upgrade to newer releases unless they provide specific fixes or new features that we need. Our application is simple (VLANs and centralized control of power to radios and other PoE devices) and the Netonix switches have been very reliable, so firmware 1.3.9 is just fine thank you.

Yes we have one thread as Les stated about all firmware changes, same place you download the firmware, simply scroll down and read release notes.

As I also stated after upgrade you need to play with the Speed Duplex of the SFP port to see which works best for your SFP module.

I do not understand why people have issues, I simply buy CHEAP random CIsco Compatible SF modules and have no issues at all.

But then again I so take the time to play with the SFP modules in my LAB and play with Speed/Duplex before I deploy then I know what works ahead of time.

I insert new SFP module, connect to same equipment I will in field, then play with Speed Duplex and pass a boat load of traffic then I know "hey this works best this way"
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

jowang

Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:31 am

You just buy the random Cisco compatible sfp and never have a problem? How lucky you are ! I have bought the 3rd party sfp optics from the nameless vendor but it didn't work. From that time, I only buy modules from trusted company like fs.com.

Previous
Return to Hardware and software issues