First WS6-Mini install

Forum rules
THIS FORUM IS FOR PICTURES AND STORIES ONLY, PLEASE DO NOT POST QUESTIONS HERE!
sbyrd
Experienced Member

First WS6-Mini install

Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:25 pm

I just installed my first WS-Mini switch. This is powering a new UBNT AC tower (my first AC tower). This tower will not be a very big tower for us as the terrain will not allow for probably more than 15-20 clients so I thought I would use this a my first real world test bed for the new Rocket AC.

Anyway this switch is powering a single Rocket AC connected to an Airmax Omni and a Rocket AC PtP connected to a RD-5G30-LW dish with ISO-Beam (sorry Sirhc).

IMG_20150813_120432274_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150813_120432274_HDR.jpg (893.19 KiB) Viewed 17601 times

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: First WS6-Mini install

Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:44 pm

Very nice, but do not forget to use the ground lug on the WS-6-MINI Chassis! :ak:
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:02 pm

sirhc wrote:Very nice, but do not forget to use the ground lug on the WS-6-MINI Chassis! :ak:
LOL
I was tempted to say the same thing and then decided the two mounting screws are probably doing a better job of grounding to the backboard than that thin green wire.

Selection_001.jpg
Selection_001.jpg (195.48 KiB) Viewed 17591 times

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:06 pm

Also wonder about disparate grounds between the PoE brick's 3rd prong going through the CAT5 FTP foil ground.

sbyrd
Experienced Member

Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:58 pm

I will say that the grounding may not be perfect, but I have never had any issue with our other 12 towers. Some are grounded with the separate Tycon arrestors, some with UBNT arrestors, some using just the shielded cat 5. I have never lost any tower equipment to lightning.

Now am I saying that it is grounded the best? No of course it is not, but it is grounded the best I choose to do. Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:53 pm

Sorry, I did not mean to pee on your shoes. I get a little anal when it comes to grounding. You should see some of my sites that used 2 inch wide copper strap instead of stranded cable. My installer teased me that I will have to put up an 8 foot high fence to keep out the copper thieves. He also complained about having to pound down so many 8 foot ground rods. I told him to "suck it up, buttercup" and then suggested an air jackhammer.

They do make special jackhammers just for that.

sbyrd
Experienced Member

Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:16 pm

No offense was taken. It's hard to get the nuances of tone out in typed words. I was really thanking you guys for your suggestions. Hey at least I use solid instead of stranded ground wire.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:06 pm

I am not sure which is better, solid / stranded
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:37 pm

sirhc wrote:I am not sure which is better, solid / stranded
Solid round or flat?
Stranded spiral wound or braided? LOL

http://www.gacopper.com/Braid-Strap-Wir ... rison.html
Copper strap (or strip) is the conductor of choice for low impedance RF ground connections. Due to the skin effect, RF
currents tend to flow along the outside "skin" of a conductor. Copper strap has a large, smooth surface area to take full
advantage of this effect. For decades, copper strap has been widely used in the RF ground systems of broadcast sites.
Lightning - Assuming lightning current is strictly DC, any copper conductor of similar cross-sectional area should conduct
lightning current equally well. However, research has shown that lightning is a series of DC pulses with a fast rise time.
Conductors with lowest inductive reactance and largest surface area, such as copper strap, should be strongly considered
when choosing conductors to handle the fast pulses of lightning current.
There's one great benefit of copper strap that is seldom mentioned. In a typical ground system, multiple ground rods are
driven and interconnected with bare copper wire or copper strap buried just below the surface of the soil. If copper strap is
used for this purpose, the large surface area of copper strap in contact with the soil can enhance any system of ground rods
and help lower overall ground resistance. For example, an 8-foot length of 2-inch copper strap would have just as much
surface area in contact with the soil as an 8-foot, 5/8" ground rod! And that's only considering one side of the strap!
Copper strap's greatest disadvantage is that it is slightly more difficult to install and connect than wire - for example, to go
through a wall, one simply has to drill a hole for wire and push it through. Strap requires a little more effort.

billbuchan

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:09 pm

Um. We strap 3m scaffolding poles to 12" Steel I-beams sunk into the ground. That should do the trick. ;)

Love the 'suck it up, buttercup' remark! ;)

Cheers,

---* Bill

Return to WISP Switch™