WS6 Mini UBNT Cluster

Forum rules
THIS FORUM IS FOR PICTURES AND STORIES ONLY, PLEASE DO NOT POST QUESTIONS HERE!
adairw
Associate
Associate

WS6 Mini UBNT Cluster

Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:50 am

Installed this today and wanted to share,
Netonix Cluster.jpg
Netonix Cluster.jpg (506.09 KiB) Viewed 28345 times

Ran two cable to the top of a grain elevator for spare and future but really needed at least 4 for the cluster. Decided to use a WS6 mini being powered from a WS-12-250A. This means less cables in my box and more flexibility. Really enjoying these switches.

EDIT
Added some pictures of the switch config
DMS WS6.PNG
DMS WS6.PNG (83.08 KiB) Viewed 27560 times

DMS WS6 vlan.PNG
DMS WS6 vlan.PNG (54.23 KiB) Viewed 27560 times

Magician
Associate
Associate

Re: WS6 Mini UBNT Cluster

Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:08 pm

Looks good but where is the ground?

adairw
Associate
Associate

Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:10 pm

took the picture before I ran the wire. You can see the clamp on the bottom of the pipe. :)

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:50 pm

I discovered this post again, have to admit this is one sexy site! :cheers:
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Wifimax

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:05 am

First time i've seen shielded Titaniums.

I know this is an old post, but curious to see if anybody has done a comparison between shielded titaniums and shielded legacy sectors?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:20 am

Wifimax wrote:First time i've seen shielded Titaniums.

I know this is an old post, but curious to see if anybody has done a comparison between shielded titaniums and shielded legacy sectors?

Actually unless you "need" 60 degree sector the shielded Legacy Sectors "preform" better as we clean up the loss on the outer edges of the Legacy to less than -3dB instead of -6 dB whereas we do nothing to the beam on the Titanium due to the way the antenna functions, there was no way to help it.

I use all Legacy 120 degree sectors at my WISP http://www.netlinx.net

I made the Titanium kits because so many people either wanted to use Legacy Rockets on them as the Titanium Rockets has such high failure rates or they discovered that the missing radio shield with just a Titanium Rocket and sector with no shield kit did not due as well of not seeing close neighbor radios as the Legacy did with shield kits.

Personally I have not seen the benefits of moving away from the Legacy stuff with shields unless you are in "very" clean spectrum as QAM 256 requires at least 10 more dB of SNR to even provide any real benefit.

If my Legacy sector gets 30 or more subscribers I simply put up another one and split the load and I it is still less expensive than going AC gear and in my opinion I am getting more performance as I can then balance heavy users across 2 sectors.

The one thing I like about the Gen 3 AC stuff is the dual radio to do scans without taking a sector down but that is not enough for me to switch. I may wait for Gen 4 and see where that goes?

But yes we make sectors for the full and mid size Titanium sectors in 5 GHz. People asked me to make them for 2 GHz and I said if you were silly enough to buy into that your on your own. You need a 1G port for 2 GHz? The faster CPU did nothing for you if the radio was in bridge mode which it should be for an AP. The MIPs 24K CPU in the legacy radios for customer CPE is more then enough to handle well over 70 Mbps in NAT which is more than any SOHO customer needs and if it is a private PTP link I am putting a router there anyway as that is a high end link.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

adairw
Associate
Associate

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:24 am

We use the titanium sectors mostly because they are so much smaller and catch less wind than a regular sector and rf armor.

This cluster is on the top of an grain elevator on a piece of angle iron. not a ton of support.
Was just trying to reduce wind load. I also feel like on our very busy sites or sites where we are co-located with another wisp that the titanium sector with rf armor yields slightly more isolation that the regular sectors.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:39 am

adairw wrote:We use the titanium sectors mostly because they are so much smaller and catch less wind than a regular sector and rf armor.

This cluster is on the top of an grain elevator on a piece of angle iron. not a ton of support.
Was just trying to reduce wind load. I also feel like on our very busy sites or sites where we are co-located with another wisp that the titanium sector with rf armor yields slightly more isolation that the regular sectors.

That is a very good point Adair regarding reduced wind load, did not think of that. You learn something every day. :agree:

adairw
Associate
Associate

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:25 pm

Does this post mean I'm already entered in to the drawing??? :crazy:

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:31 pm

adairw wrote:Does this post mean I'm already entered in to the drawing??? :crazy:
:thumbsup:

Next
Return to WISP Switch™