Simple WS-6-Mini deployment

Forum rules
THIS FORUM IS FOR PICTURES AND STORIES ONLY, PLEASE DO NOT POST QUESTIONS HERE!
rosswuk

Simple WS-6-Mini deployment

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:08 pm

A very simple install for a WS-6-Mini, but posting as I saw you wished more people would post photos.

This is a farm based Micro-POP. PowerBeam 5AC-400-ISO in, PowerBeam 5AC-400-ISO out and a NanoStation for the local buildings. WS-6-Mini is powered via Ubnt POE-50-60W, I am close to power here but at other similar sites I have to travel some distance for power and it's nice to have just one spare power supply type rather than mix in the barrel power where it would work. I always think the WS-6 looks super tidy in the designated enclosure, and it's very well protected.

IMG_2241a.jpg

IMG_2244a.jpg

IMG_2245a.jpg

I will post some other sites soon, but, need to make them presentable first!!

Regards,
Ross.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Simple WS-6-Mini deployment

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:24 pm

You know I like to mount them by drilling and tapping 8/32 screw holes in the plastic box then use Zinc or Stainless screws to attach the switch in the box.

Double sided tape tends to let loose.

But thanks for posting.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rosswuk

Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:34 pm

I've been tempted to drill + screw them, really I have. That said, I've had a lot of success with the velcro strips I use (4 rows) and so far, not had any switches come loose.
Really impressed with the products (I've got 12 port ACs, 8 port ACs, a good few minis) and about to go with my first DC switch next month as I upgrade a hub site.

Regards,
Ross.

Banana Jack

Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:33 am

Nice job Ross! I use automotive number-plate ("license plate"?) double-sided sticky foam tape; cheap as chips on a roll from eBay. That stuff is never coming off. I've noticed recent Mini switches coming with little rubber feet on them though. I have to peel them off before putting the sticky tape on.

sirhc - seems a shame to drill the waterproof Tycon box! Especially when the notches on the Mini just about line up with the little plastic struts in the box - I always wonder whether that's by accident or design!

The main downside with the Mini/Tycon approach is that any future battery-backup upgrades aren't too straightforward. Need to either install a 12V>48V DC-DC converter in a second box somewhere, or change the whole thing for a DC Netonix switch in a larger enclosure. For sites not needing battery backup in the foreseeable future though, the Mini is a great way forward.

I love site photos.

Glenn

rosswuk

Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:35 am

Glenn - I also always wondered if those slots on the switch were a deliberate move... they are just "too perfect" to be an accident, right?

I started off with the number plate tape too, but on my most recent installs I've been using "super strong velcro" as it allows me to pull the switch out if I need to without having to replace the tape. That said, I've not needed to up until now (famous last words).

I have a couple of WS-Mini's in the Tycon enclosure at the top of a grain stores, close to the radios and they work really well there (mounted directly on the 2inch pole). Then two cable runs to the ground (1 active, 1 spare for those 3am problems) where I have a cabinet, sometimes with a WS-8-150W sending the power (Port1 only), sometimes just with an AirFibre POE brick + AC UPS. For bigger sites, see my newer post, where I am now keeping it DC (and selling my shares in APC).

IMG_1298.JPG

IMG_1300.jpg

Thanks for responding, much appreciated.

Regards,
Ross.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:15 pm

sirhc wrote:You know I like to mount them by drilling and tapping 8/32 screw holes in the plastic box then use Zinc or Stainless screws to attach the switch in the box.

Double sided tape tends to let loose.

But thanks for posting.

Does the MINI still use the bottom of the case for a heatsink? I would not want the heatsink to be insulated from the box nor would I want the heat to dry out the adhesive tape.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:38 pm

Yes and no. The ORIGINAL design had an expensive heat sink pad that put the PCB in contact with the chassis and the new design does not but the chassis still wicks heat from the PCB through the posts so having the chassis into contact with the enclosure is a good idea.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

russman

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:37 am

Can the WS-6-MINI be powered with a 56v passive 4 pair POE adapter, I know it says it supports to 53v max (don't want to damage it)? I'm trying to find a 10-14v DC input terminal to 48v passive POE injector on all 4 pair, however, all I can find is the TP-DCDC-1256G-VHP which outputs 56v.

russman

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:31 pm

Also can it support being powered by 802.3bt so that it has power on all 4 pairs?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:53 pm

russman wrote:Can the WS-6-MINI be powered with a 56v passive 4 pair POE adapter, I know it says it supports to 53v max (don't want to damage it)? I'm trying to find a 10-14v DC input terminal to 48v passive POE injector on all 4 pair, however, all I can find is the TP-DCDC-1256G-VHP which outputs 56v.

56V is on the upper edge but if the power supply is a hundred or more feet from switch the voltage will drop.

Keep in mind what ever voltage you feed the WS-6 mini with is the voltage it passes out as the 48V POE option.

Return to WISP Switch™