Switch install...Quiet

Forum rules
THIS FORUM IS FOR PICTURES AND STORIES ONLY, PLEASE DO NOT POST QUESTIONS HERE!
amishgenius
Associate
Associate

Switch install...Quiet

Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:25 pm

netonix switch1.jpg
netonix switch1.jpg (274.08 KiB) Viewed 21368 times
I recieved my new 24 port switch today. Plugged it in an upgraded the FW, smooth as...well, silk I guess. :)

I configured everything, set IP to DHCP and decided to step way out and use untagged vlans. Rookie I am in vlans, I saw tagged, untagged and exclude. hmmm...I don't want tagged, and untagged is if I want to connect 2 ports for backhaul, so the rest must want to be excluded :loud buzzer: I haven't really figured out what exclude is used for...but I don't think you want to use it. All you dark wizards that use CLI would say just whip out the console cable and plug it in (yes, it has a console port) but I'm not like that. I had to reset the device and start over....I might request add a fallback address in case the device does not get one.

Other than he operator not understanding what exclude means in vlan world, the UI was very intuitive. Being able to see throughput stats is very nice. The removable ears are very nice, and they turn to allow wall mounting....very nice!!

And its quiet...my phone app said its 36 db at about 3 ft.
Attachments
ntonix switch2.jpg
ntonix switch2.jpg (302 KiB) Viewed 21368 times

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Re: Switch install...Quiet

Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:21 am

Can I interest you in some screen grab software? LOL

When wall mounting like that, you might find that it is tight to get your fingers in to release the cable on the even numbered ports. What I did is put a spacer between the ears and the wall.

Mine is installed on a wall in my crawlspace. Now crawlspace may conjure up images of an uneven dirt floor with rats, snakes, and coons, but mine is actually conditioned space with painted concrete floor and 4 foot high walls that are insulated and drywalled.

mhoppes
Associate
Associate

Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:32 am

Tagged = Traffic coming out of the port will contain the VLANs as is.

Untagged = Traffic coming out of the port will untag (pop) the VLAN tag and you will have direct access to the VLAN traffic (e.g. for an AP or direct customer connection).

Exclude = Used in conjunction with Untagged.

Not sure what you were trying to do, but normally your backhaul ports will have all VLANs tagged, your end-user/AP ports will be Untagged.

amishgenius
Associate
Associate

Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:00 pm

lligetfa wrote:Can I interest you in some screen grab software? LOL

When wall mounting like that, you might find that it is tight to get your fingers in to release the cable on the even numbered ports. What I did is put a spacer between the ears and the wall.

Mine is installed on a wall in my crawlspace. Now crawlspace may conjure up images of an uneven dirt floor with rats, snakes, and coons, but mine is actually conditioned space with painted concrete floor and 4 foot high walls that are insulated and drywalled.

lol...it was late...and I was ummm, you know...ummm...partaking in some excellent beverages.

This switch has enough room to get a finger behind it...not a lot, but I really didn't need spacers. Good idea though.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

A brief overview of VLANs

Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:03 pm

Or if you want to create a small 2 port virtual switch such as to create a mid-span to power an AF unit you could create a VLAN that has a U on say ports 1 and 5 and E on all other ports. Then you plug port 1 with 48VH into your AF24 or AF5 (ugh) and port 5 with no POE into your router. Now you can power your air fiber and reboot it remotely if needed or have a ping watch dog monitor it from the switch, graph it usage and power consumption.

VLAN ___ID 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Default 001 E E E U E E E U U
AF24-1 100 U E E E U E E E E
AF24-2 200 E U E E E U E E E
AF24-3 300 E E U E E E U E E

Or you could Trunk multiple airFIBER units through a single port by using T on each airFIBER VLAN to a single port say 5 again without POE and putting the U on each port that powers an airFIBER such as 1, 2, 3 as shown below.

VLAN___ID 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Default 001 E E E E U U U U U
AF24-1 100 U E E E T E E E E
AF24-2 200 E U E E T E E E E
AF24-3 300 E E U E T E E E E

Port 5 Goes to router
Ports 1,2,3 go to airFIBER units

In your router you would create virtual/sub interfaces or VLANS 100, 200, 300 on the interface that connects to your switch on port 5

Then traffic coming ot of that interface on your router would have a VLAN ID tag which the switch would use to know which of it's ports to send the traffic to and out. When the traffic exits the desire port the U or Un-Tag tells the switch to strip off the VLAN tag and send the packet out as Un-Tagged.

When traffic enters a U or un-taged port the switch adds the VLAN tag to the traffic before pushing it out the Trunk or Tagged port in this case port 5.

That way when the router receives the packet in on it's port with a VLAN tag if knows which virtual/sub interface to push the packet/traffic to.

Now, and this is IMPORTANT, the Default VLAN or VLAN 1 is where the switches IP address is. In the second example above ports in VLANs 100, 200, 300 can access the switch UI or CLI directly as port 5 has a "U" on the default VLAN so traffic coming into port 5 will be sent to and un-taged on VLAN 1
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

amishgenius
Associate
Associate

Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:29 pm

mhoppes wrote:Tagged = Traffic coming out of the port will contain the VLANs as is.

Untagged = Traffic coming out of the port will untag (pop) the VLAN tag and you will have direct access to the VLAN traffic (e.g. for an AP or direct customer connection).

Exclude = Used in conjunction with Untagged.

Not sure what you were trying to do, but normally your backhaul ports will have all VLANs tagged, your end-user/AP ports will be Untagged.

I don't use vlan, except for "midspan" for my backhaul. For example, port 1 and 3 are untagged vlan 13.

amishgenius
Associate
Associate

Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:21 pm

Yeah...what Chris said

amishgenius
Associate
Associate

Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:49 pm

2 days later :thumbsup: