Hi Sirhc (And Everybody Else)

Ubiquiti Networks® is not associated with Netonix® in any way.
sww

Hi Sirhc (And Everybody Else)

Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:53 pm

Sirhc, I followed you from the UBNT forum. Someone said I could find you here. Didn't realize at the time you were the same guy with the POE switches. I believe my parts dept has ordered a few from you. Looking forward to checking them out!

Anyways, I was stalking you because I came upon your WISP home page after reading a post of yours and I saw the amazing speeds you are offering customers. I work for a WISP still using Canopy and we are about to embark on UBNT gear to keep up with Netflix requirements. We're going to be using the 5ghz TI's because I have to have 5.1 freqs and we are losing customers too fast to wait for AC products to have them. In my testing I had myself convinced that I shouldn't sell more than 5 meg plans with these which works well enough for most streaming needs, but then I saw the crazy speeds you were offering.

If you don't mind me asking how do you pull off 20 and 30 meg plans? Are you using AC gear or do you setup PTP's for those customers? With the TI's I don't see that being much of a reality.

I guess anyone else can answer this question, but I'm just looking for some advice since I am the only one in my company to bounce ideas off of and I get tired of talking to myself lol.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Re: Hi Sirhc (And Everybody Else)

Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:00 pm

sww wrote:Someone said I could find you here...
That be me.
Welcome to the forum.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:19 pm

I use "legacy" Rocket M5 as the Titaniums have too many issues and they cost about $150 more per sector because many people will tell you that if you use Titanium Rockets you still need our shield kit for them.

You get no benefit from the Ti slightly faster CPU if the radio is in bridge mode which is what 99% of the people do anyway.

Also the 1G port does little for you as most people run 20MHz wide channels which MAX out around 72 Mbps and 30 MHz wide DFS channels MAX out at around 90 Mbps.

So if you want to pay $150 more per sector then buy Titaniums but you still need the shield kits and people have issues with them!

Do not run GPS as it decreases performance by about 20-25% and adds about 20 ms of latency.

I run an airFIBER 24 backbone in a RING using OSPF and BFD on Cisco routers in each tower with a Netonix switch (WS-24-400A).

I just did a speedtest for you see below

CLICK IMAGE TO VIEW FULL SIZE
speedtest.jpg
speedtest.jpg (599.92 KiB) Viewed 30395 times

Many people from the Forums and even Joey and JT from UBNT have toured my WISP and they will tell you that my customers get the speeds we advertise.

Glenford from ST Thomas has been here.
Matt Hoppes from Indigo wireless has been here and toured my WISP

Here are 2 posts on visits to Netlinx:
http://community.ubnt.com/t5/Business-T ... rue#M38258
http://community.ubnt.com/t5/The-Lounge ... rue#M27586
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:36 pm

Here are some good reads for you on this forums sww

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=188 <= GREAT POST
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=452
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=671&hilit=Flow+Control <= Read "whole" thread start to finish
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sww

Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Sorry if my post sounded like I was questioning you. You seem to be defending yourself. That was not my intent. I was just more interested in how you were pulling it off. I'm new to UBNT as access points so I'm still learning what I can get away with. I'm a bit gun shy after streaming destroyed our Canopy network. We started building this thing 10 years ago when the average person was emailing and reading online news. We sold 5 megs to customers on access points that were only capable of 10-12 megs down and it was never an issue until people started cancelling their cable TV. So with this new system I just want to be sure we don't over subscribe too quickly. I would love to offer cable competing bandwidth, but as I said I am hesitant until we get more of this working out in the real world. Where I'm at if I sell a customer "up to 3 megs" and they get 2.75 we hear about it!

One of my issues is we have towers that cover a very large corner of the state. It takes a lot of long hauls and multiple hops to get to some of these places and the budget that's given to me is extremely minimal lol. I have a few places I could offer above 5, but many of my towns would be expensive to get much better than that. I'll have to do some more experimenting I suppose. I have been running 20 meg channels but my biggest testing ground for these in the real world is on a tower that only has about 30 megs available and serves my own house so I've been unsure how much I could expect from these. (I know I know setup test labs but that is sooooo boring! lol) Sounds like I can do a bit more than I thought so that is good to know!

Anyway thanks for your time! I have a bit more hope I think.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:41 pm

No, not being defensive, that is just me, short and to the point.

Sorry if you felt I came across that way

Limited time so I was cutting to the chase trying to provide as much detail as fast as possible.

Saw you looking at Titaniums and thought I would try save you some money especially if your budget is thin, every dollar helps right!

sww

Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:56 pm

Well we already bought half dozen TI's that are up on towers at this point but who's to say the next batch won' be a different model. I need dozens of AP's if not hundreds so I'm not married to the TI's. Do the other modules have the same freq set available?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:59 pm

sww wrote:Well we already bought half dozen TI's that are up on towers at this point but who's to say the next batch won' be a different model. I'm not married to them. Do the other modules have the same freq set available?

Yes I use the Legacy Rocket M5, 19dB 120 degree sectors with RF Armor shield kits.

Here is an old video of the tower that RF Armor now hits.

Currently there are 14 sectors up there and about 6 NanoBridge private links and 2 airFIBER 24 back hauls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DgFoDwmPSc

sww

Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:23 pm

One more question and I'll stop bugging you for a while. Do you guys use burst? I've been experimenting and streaming seems to work better without, but bursting makes speed tests look prettier and web pages pop up quicker. We use burst with Canopy but I'm kinda leaning toward not using it anymore. People complain about the sporadic nature of their speed tests. Curious on your thoughts. Or do you do it on a per customer level maybe? Sorry if I am asking too many questions but in one afternoon you have given me way more answers than I have gotten on the UBNT forum. Thank you btw!

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:33 pm

sww wrote:One more question and I'll stop bugging you for a while. Do you guys use burst? I've been experimenting and streaming seems to work better without, but bursting makes speed tests look prettier and web pages pop up quicker. We use burst with Canopy but I'm kinda leaning toward not using it anymore. People complain about the sporadic nature of their speed tests. Curious on your thoughts. Or do you do it on a per customer level maybe? Sorry if I am asking too many questions but in one afternoon you have given me way more answers than I have gotten on the UBNT forum. Thank you btw!

We do offer burst, a detail of our Tier programs is available on my web site www.netlinx.net

We do not use the radio to control the burst but a head end unit.

Tier-3 for instance
20 Mbps up and or Down for 30 seconds then it drops to 12 down by 4 up sustained.
Up and down burst are controlled separately.
Burst gets reset when the user drops below the sustained rate for a period of time equal to the burst period.
Tier-3 is limited to 250 Gigs per month. SOft cap no overages but if they repeatedly violate it they either have to upgrade programs or we cancel them.

Tier-4 is like 400 Gigs per month

Our Enterprise Commercial which we put in a private DFS link for is $350 and they get 50 Mbps and 1 terabyte per month

In 30 seconds a residential user can get all their HULU and Netflix buffering and be done or send or receive a large file and be done.

Bursting lowered out sustained bandwidth consumption at the head end.

Tier-6 bursts for 60 seconds.

You can send or receive a TON of data in 30 to 60 seconds.

Next
Return to airMAX™