Good vs Bad constellations (yes, the graphs are useful)

Ubiquiti Networks® is not associated with Netonix® in any way.
rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Good vs Bad constellations (yes, the graphs are useful)

Sun May 31, 2015 7:39 pm

Thought I'd show some UBNT AC gear in action and what the constellation patterns are actually useful for.

This is a PTP link with NBE-AC-19
As you can see, one side has tight little patterns while the other side is scattered MUCH more. One unit is tucked down between trees (incursion into second fresnel) and so there is little interference but some typical fresnel incursion issues. The other is up on a hill exposed to more interference.
CaptureConstelation.JPG
CaptureConstelation.JPG (60.49 KiB) Viewed 13478 times

This is in a 10Mhz channel. here are speed tests showing the difference between the good constellations and the bad.

The good pattern:
CaptureT3.JPG
CaptureT3.JPG (19.5 KiB) Viewed 13478 times

The messy pattern:
CaptureT2.JPG
CaptureT2.JPG (17.88 KiB) Viewed 13478 times

duplex pattern:
CaptureT1.JPG
CaptureT1.JPG (20.59 KiB) Viewed 13478 times

A couple things of note.
~65Mbps on 10Mhz very nice!
~25Mbps on the 'bad' side in 10Mhz is not that bad.
This link scales almost perfectly with channel width. 125Mbps*45mbps on 20Mhz, ~235Mbps*85Mbos on 40Mhz. The biggest issue with the wide channels is that it's hard to keep the CINR up with the 4x more footprint (40Mhz vs 10Mhz) to get interference.

Notice the 35 vs 30 CINR. This is a VERY good number to use to determine the quality of the link and if you should bump up from the NBE-AC-19 to the PBE-AC-500. Also notice that the higher signal actually has the lower CINR.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Good vs Bad constellations (yes, the graphs are useful)

Sun May 31, 2015 8:13 pm

Nice write up, thanks!

Been waiting patiently for UNI-I and UNI-II to try some of the gear, just can not use UNI-III.

I would try it immediately if it was backward compatible, Ben told me on Skype the other day they would soon start working on that more aggressively.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Re: Good vs Bad constellations (yes, the graphs are useful)

Sun May 31, 2015 8:24 pm

I should be testing that next week. I really need U-NII-1 for PTP links on the AC gear. Can't afford AF5X everywhere even if I could source them.

I also have a number of micro-pops that I'm running well under DFS EIRP so those will be immediate upgrades for CINR ones U-NII-II is approved. I'm excited to see how the AC gear performs in DFS.

Return to airMAX™