PBE-AC-500 does not support AP-PtMP

Ubiquiti Networks® is not associated with Netonix® in any way.
lligetfa
Associate
Associate

PBE-AC-500 does not support AP-PtMP

Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:04 pm

From http://community.ubnt.com/t5/airOS-v7-B ... 00283#M129 UBNT-sriram stated this departure from the norm. I wonder if the intention is to force everyone to use more expensive Rockets and sectors? One feature that I always liked about Ubiquiti radios was the ability to use them as APs.

I remember back when I was using Deliberant, loading AP firmware onto some of their CPEs to create inexpensive and compact directional APs on my hotspot. For a long time I kept a close eye on UniFi development waiting for firmware that I could use to reflash a Nano to UAP like the Pico2UAP firmware they released. There was no way that I was going to hang large sectors in place of small integrated radio/antennas.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: PBE-AC-500 does not support AP-PtMP

Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:23 pm

LOL - I do not have the privilege to view that....or do I muhahaha Bet the Jester can't can't catch me!
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:43 am

OH CRAP! I forgot it was in beta. Matt will probably bust my chops now. He's already accused me of inciting sheeple (my words, not his).

wayneorack
Experienced Member

Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:59 am

It may only be a beta, but UBNT-sriram's justification makes it sound like it is something that is intentional, not like something they plan to fix....

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:24 am

My gut feeling is they want to control off-label use and force us to buy the more expensive Rocket/sector or Rocket/dish combo. I hope my gut is wrong.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:40 am

Well long gone are the days of $75 Rockets.

AC dishes and AC sectors now are close in price to legacy with my shield kits.

AC CPE's will be interesting to see where they price them. $100US is the breaking point in the US but in other parts of the world more like $50US

Another thing will be to see if they continue to do more software application locking as mentioned because I remember them touting in those SJ meetings how they were not like other vendors who charged software unlock fees saying that the hardware will always be unlocked as they were in the hardware business not the software business?

Time will tell. Ubiquiti had the network strangled with rocked bottom prices, free software, and massive quantities sold around the world to keep costs down which left very little room for upstarts to create a crack and get a foot hold.

Maybe Robert is just feeling very confident that the field is no longer open and he has a very safe monopoly?
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:53 am

Most of the other players out there have separate APs and CPEs where you pay much more for the AP. My guess is Ubiquiti sees it as money left on the table and they want to grab it.

One generally expects the more expensive purpose built APs to be much more rugged than the CPEs. I will withhold comment on their Rockets and let history speak for itself.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:48 pm

It does seem like ubnt is making some big shifts in their methodology. separating ptmp and ptp models for instance. I definitely get the feel that they are getting a 'big boy' mentality and ignoring customers. The list of 'beta' level products is longer than...well, that's almost all they have anymore really. The good old reliable stuff is on the short list for retirement (NB, NS, Picos) and their news stuff is riddled with problems.

UBNT is Mimosas biggest sales person...

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:11 pm

I agree they are changing....exactly into what we do not know.

I am still their biggest fan rather they belive it or not so I will wait and see where this thing ends up.

I am still grateful to Robert and the whole UBNT team for saving and growing the worldwide WISP industry but I fear they are into normal corporate mentality mode now of we must show major increases in revenue each quarter.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:09 pm

The best part about mimosa may be the competition to ubnt, what I mean is ubnt may have to readjust their trajectory to counter them.

Cambium kind of teases a little but they are way late to the game with 'N gear. Mimosa is coming with similar and maybe superior (GPS sync, high stated sta count, mumimo and beamstearing) gear within the same timeline generation.

I guess we'll have to see if they get off the ground. My preordered b5c will hopefully give me a good impression.

Next
Return to airMAX™